Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tokina 28-70 f/2.6-2.8 ATX Pro II

Originally posted by ninelives
    just follow number 3 if u want to use MF.

follow number 2 if u want to use AF.

1 and 4 just confuse u only, don't bother about it.

during AF, your forcusing ring is lock ! do not turn it manually!
    Thanks, 9 lives! I was right! The 28-80mm is a better design, where the camera can be set at AF all the time and the AF/MF is done at the focus ring!
    DR KOH KHO KING

wait, i am using Minolta mount, does it work the same for yours??? btw, read my previous msg again, i have edited it.
    Last edited by ninelives; 8th August 2002 at 04:50 PM.

wait, i am using Minolta mount, does it work the same for yours??? btw, read my previous msg again, i have edited it.
    I have once tested the PRO II (very long time ago), but then someone said very confidently other way, thus I confused.

CK, can you confirm/check?
    DR KOH KHO KING

no need to check, minolta mount and nikon mount looks different. dunno about canon, don't care.

ps: Direct Manual Focus (DMF)
    Direct Manual Focus mode allows you to quickly adjust focusing after the focus is locked in AF mode. Pressing the shutter release half way activates and locks AF, in addition to releasing the internal clutch. This frees the focus ring, permitting you to focus manually, primarily for close-up or portrait shots. In this way, you benefit from the convenience of AF, plus the additional creative control of MF, without changing modes or settings.

this is only available on Minolta cameras... you might damage your camera if you do this on other camera.
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Originally posted by tsdh

The model code: ATX270AF Pro II
    Thanks tsdh.

Does anyone know where to get this besides AP? What is you best quote? Thanks.

ziyter
    Guests

Cool

Originally posted by Tony

Thanks CK. So I'm still confused about which is a better lens. So the Tokina AF 28-70 f/2.6-2.8 was/is/based on the legendary Angenieux 28-70?

Is the Angenieux model a 270? Model 280 is 28-80mm, right? There is the Pro 28-70mm too. How can I tell which is the Angenieux design? Any specific shop I should go to and specific model number I can ask for?

A more experienced friend went with me to a camera shop and we were shown the Pro II. The box says Pro II but the lens just has the word "Pro" My friend had a look at the lens and said that it is not the Angenieux model. He mentioned that the lens should have a gold "merlion" type seal on it? Anybody has any clue?

Regards.

Hey Tony, I do own a Tokina ATX Pro ,however mine is the first version. The quality from this lens is indeed of good quality. Its definitely a better lens than the other compatible lens maker for my nikon system. Tried shooting before with a 28-70 f2.8 Sigma before,however the qiaulity is good but stilll lacking. After I got the Tokina ATX Pro, pic quality is changed .
    But if you were to compare with Nikon lens, Nikon lens is always an edge higher. So if you want top and precise quality and able to afford,go for a Nikon. If you want good and comparable quality,go for this ATX pro.

Thanks ziyter.

I am looking for a new Tokina 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 AT-X Pro II now. Can anyone tell me where to get a brand new one and the price please?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks ziyter.

I am looking for a new Tokina 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 AT-X Pro II now. Can anyone tell me where to get a brand new one and the price please?

Thanks in advance.
    You can try Alan Photo @ SLS, MS Color @ AMK Central or the Distributor Cathay Photo.

Originally posted by extreme2

You can try Alan Photo @ SLS, MS Color @ AMK Central or the Distributor Cathay Photo.
    I have tried Cathay and MS Color. Both shops have no stock. Alan has a lone lens but I was looking for more than 1 and the price they quoted me was like $700++. What is a good price for this lens?

Cathay is the distributor?

Default Tokina

I have tried Cathay and MS Color. Both shops have no stock. Alan has a lone lens but I was looking for more than 1 and the price they quoted me was like $700++. What is a good price for this lens?

Cathay is the distributor?
    Hi

Try Photo Guide across CP ( Penisula Plaza ). They quoted me $810 for the Tokina 280. I am not sure if you can get Tokina 270 Pro II there. but you can try so far I find their price the most reasonable. But CP is tell everyone that they are the only authorized dealer for Tokina so other shops can't get the real 2yr warranty so when you but u better check. ( I personally don't think its try coz photo guide showed me the 2 yr warranty).

Default Re: Tokina

Originally posted by Minority

Hi

Try Photo Guide across CP ( Penisula Plaza ). They quoted me $810 for the Tokina 280. I am not sure if you can get Tokina 270 Pro II there. but you can try so far I find their price the most reasonable. But CP is tell everyone that they are the only authorized dealer for Tokina so other shops can't get the real 2yr warranty so when you but u better check. ( I personally don't think its try coz photo guide showed me the 2 yr warranty).
    Hi Minority,

Thanks but I've tried FotoGuide on Saturday. They don't have that either. I was quoted $790 for the 280.

Hmm, I do not know if everybody who's replied here has really owned or used the lens in question.

Comparing my Tokina ATX Pro II 28-70 f2.6~f2.8 to my Nikon AFS 17-35 f2.8 (in the overlapping 28 to 35mm range) and Canon 28-70 L f2.8, the only noticeable difference for all PRACTICAL purposes is the barrel distortion at 28mm which shouldn't even be a problem if u're not shooting architecture.

Whereas the Nikon & Canon do not have this, hence the price difference.

For all intents and purposes, the sharpness and contrast is every bit as good.

C'mon, u're comparing a lens here against the original equivalents up to 4-5 times more, gimme a break.

This is the best value money lens I have ever had. I'd be glad to let anyone here shoot a test roll.

Long

Originally posted by long
    Hmm, I do not know if everybody who's replied here has really owned or used the lens in question.
    I previously owned and use Tokina ATX Pro II 28-70, and some who replied here also own the lens.

Comparing my Tokina ATX Pro II 28-70 f2.6~f2.8 to my Nikon AFS 17-35 f2.8 (in the overlapping 28 to 35mm range) and Canon 28-70 L f2.8, the only noticeable difference for all PRACTICAL purposes is the barrel distortion at 28mm which shouldn't even be a problem if u're not shooting architecture.
    Whereas the Nikon & Canon do not have this, hence the price difference.
    For all intents and purposes, the sharpness and contrast is every bit as good.
    Did you enlarge your prints to 10R or larger?
    Well, probably your Tokina is the best of the batch, or your eyes is not too demanding. Lucky you.
    If the difference is just the barrel distortion, as compared to those AFS or L lenses, then I would not sell my Tokina.

C'mon, u're comparing a lens here against the original equivalents up to 4-5 times more, gimme a break.
    This is the best value money lens I have ever had. I'd be glad to let anyone here shoot a test roll.
    Yes, it is best price-performance. And recommended for anyone who don't need the advantages of the original lenses.

Cool

Hi,

Enlargements wise, printing to 8R, yes, though not to 10R as yet.

Even then, I'd say not many people can tell the difference. With a magnifying glass or with Photoshop checks and scanned image comparisons blowups, I'm sure its possible to nitpick.

Notice I mentioned for PRACTICAL intents and purposes - its really hard to fault.

My point of contention is only with those comments here that are plainly skewed or baseless by people who clearly did not have any experience with it.

To be fair, it ain't perfect. My reservations regard the barrel distortions at the short end and some v.slight pincushion perhaps at the long end.

Cheers
    Long

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345