Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 95

Thread: Tokina 28-70 f/2.6-2.8 ATX Pro II

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by StreetShooter
    I'm a bit late to this thread, but I must respectfully disagree with Ckiang about the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX. It's very sharp for me. The extra 4 mm is very important if you're a DSLR user. The 82mm filter is expensive, yes (paid $77 for my multicoated slim one), but that's the price you pay for the extra wideness. Heftiness of a lens has never been a problem for me so far (but then I don't have a 50-500...).
    Maybe they got high sample variation. I tried it when Red Dawn first got it, tested it on the D30, both of us don't like it. Returned in less than a week.

    Regards
    CK

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Tony
    Hi,

    Can anyone tell me where to get a new Tokina 28-70 f/2.6-2.8 ATX Pro II?

    How much does it cost?

    Thanks in advance.
    It's discontinued. Last heard AP selling for $570.

    Regards
    CK

  3. #63

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Maybe they got high sample variation. I tried it when Red Dawn first got it, tested it on the D30, both of us don't like it. Returned in less than a week.

    Regards
    CK
    can test and return?? so good? where ? which shop ?

  4. #64

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    It's discontinued. Last heard AP selling for $570.

    Regards
    CK

    Thanks CK. So I'm still confused about which is a better lens. So the Tokina AF 28-70 f/2.6-2.8 was/is/based on the legendary Angenieux 28-70?

    Is the Angenieux model a 270? Model 280 is 28-80mm, right? There is the Pro 28-70mm too. How can I tell which is the Angenieux design? Any specific shop I should go to and specific model number I can ask for?

    A more experienced friend went with me to a camera shop and we were shown the Pro II. The box says Pro II but the lens just has the word "Pro" My friend had a look at the lens and said that it is not the Angenieux model. He mentioned that the lens should have a gold "merlion" type seal on it? Anybody has any clue?

    Regards.

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by ninelives


    can test and return?? so good? where ? which shop ?
    The shop with excellent service.

    Regards
    CK

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Tony



    Thanks CK. So I'm still confused about which is a better lens. So the Tokina AF 28-70 f/2.6-2.8 was/is/based on the legendary Angenieux 28-70?

    Is the Angenieux model a 270? Model 280 is 28-80mm, right? There is the Pro 28-70mm too. How can I tell which is the Angenieux design? Any specific shop I should go to and specific model number I can ask for?

    A more experienced friend went with me to a camera shop and we were shown the Pro II. The box says Pro II but the lens just has the word "Pro" My friend had a look at the lens and said that it is not the Angenieux model. He mentioned that the lens should have a gold "merlion" type seal on it? Anybody has any clue?

    Regards.
    Think the earliest one is the Angenieux one, it was later modified to ATX Pro, then Pro II. The Pro and before uses the regular hood, the Pro II uses the flowershaped hood.

    Incidentally, I've seen the real Angenieux 28-70 f/2.6-2.8 and it doesn't look like any of the Tokinas, so....

    Regards
    CK

  7. #67

    Default

    Originally posted by Tony



    Thanks CK. So I'm still confused about which is a better lens. So the Tokina AF 28-70 f/2.6-2.8 was/is/based on the legendary Angenieux 28-70?

    Is the Angenieux model a 270? Model 280 is 28-80mm, right? There is the Pro 28-70mm too. How can I tell which is the Angenieux design? Any specific shop I should go to and specific model number I can ask for?

    A more experienced friend went with me to a camera shop and we were shown the Pro II. The box says Pro II but the lens just has the word "Pro" My friend had a look at the lens and said that it is not the Angenieux model. He mentioned that the lens should have a gold "merlion" type seal on it? Anybody has any clue?

    Regards.

    Here is a review : Tokina 28-70 2.6 - 2.8 ATX Pro II: Saving Money Never Felt So Good


  8. #68

    Default

    Another review compared with this lens, namely, AF 20~35mm f2.8D and Nikkor AF-S 28~70mm f2.8D IF-ED.

    http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Fo...52/review1.htm

    Conclusion from the review:

    If you are looking for a lens with good optics at a reasonable price, I would strongly recommend the Tokina AT-X Pro II 28~70mm f2.6/2.8.

  9. #69

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    The shop with excellent service.

    Regards
    CK
    which one? pm me if not convinent to say here, thanks.

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang
    Incidentally, I've seen the real Angenieux 28-70 f/2.6-2.8 and it doesn't look like any of the Tokinas, so....
    Regards
    CK
    Tokina Pro optical was designed by Angenieux engineers, not just "copy" from existing one. So you may be disappointed if just comparing both lenses and looking for similarity.

    The difference between ATX-Pro and Pro II, is just the lens coating. Everything else is the same.

  11. #71

    Default

    Originally posted by tsdh

    Tokina Pro optical was designed by Angenieux engineers, not just "copy" from existing one. So you may be disappointed if just comparing both lenses and looking for similarity.

    The difference between ATX-Pro and Pro II, is just the lens coating. Everything else is the same.
    So, it is the 270 model right, the AT-X Pro II?

  12. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Originally posted by Tony
    So, it is the 270 model right, the AT-X Pro II?
    The model code: ATX270AF Pro II

  13. #73

    Default

    If you are a Pro and demand high quality and speed or you have money and don't know where to spend, go for the Nikon AFS 28-70 f/2.8. Else the Tokina 28-70 f/2.6-2.8 ATX Pro II is good alternative... or even the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 if you like. It's all depends on individual preferences.

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by extreme2
    If you are a Pro and demand high quality and speed or you have money and don't know where to spend, go for the Nikon AFS 28-70 f/2.8. Else the Tokina 28-70 f/2.6-2.8 ATX Pro II is good alternative... or even the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 if you like. It's all depends on individual preferences.
    Right. Unless you get a chance to own a AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8D ED-IF for say, $800? Now, I wonder how the Tokina 28-80/2.8 stack up....

    Regards
    CK

  15. #75

    Default

    few months ago, Tokina Japan website mentioning about a ATX 28-70mm f2.8 SV (super value) releasing in June, I wonder if it is available now...or anyone has one already?
    DR KOH KHO KING

  16. #76

    Default verdict

    Originally posted by Tony



    Thanks CK. So I'm still confused about which is a better lens. So the Tokina AF 28-70 f/2.6-2.8 was/is/based on the legendary Angenieux 28-70?

    Is the Angenieux model a 270? Model 280 is 28-80mm, right? There is the Pro 28-70mm too. How can I tell which is the Angenieux design? Any specific shop I should go to and specific model number I can ask for?

    A more experienced friend went with me to a camera shop and we were shown the Pro II. The box says Pro II but the lens just has the word "Pro" My friend had a look at the lens and said that it is not the Angenieux model. He mentioned that the lens should have a gold "merlion" type seal on it? Anybody has any clue?

    Regards.
    So I guess we are still waiting for a verdict if a Tokina 28-70f2.6-2.8 is better than the Tokina 28-80 f2.8.....?

    So can any slim shaddy pls speak up????

  17. #77

    Default

    there is probably a bit of difference in different versions of the lenses. BUT most importantly.... do you think that little difference will MAKE OR BRAKE your image ? Do you think you will be pushing the limits of your equipments ? I would say.. just get any lens.. shoot first, don't bother to do lens test... upgrade your equipment only when it becomes the bottle neck in your photography.

    I had the first version of the tokina f2.8 ATX, this is not the Angenieux version. The ATX pro is the one.


    To Tony:
    the one with the merlion is just a special edition. With or without it that tag, it is the ATX Pro version.
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

  18. #78

    Default Re: verdict

    Originally posted by Minority


    So I guess we are still waiting for a verdict if a Tokina 28-70f2.6-2.8 is better than the Tokina 28-80 f2.8.....?

    So can any slim shaddy pls speak up????
    u wanna sell yours?
    DR KOH KHO KING

  19. #79

    Default Re: verdict

    I am still confused with the af/mf focusing of the 28-70mm pro II.

    From the website (http://www.picture-perfect.net/tokina28-70review.shtml)

    1. Camera set to AF / Lens set to MF - Auto focus still functions but is very slow. The whole large focusing ring moves with AF operation. Also, the lens can be manually focused by moving the focusing ring, but doing this seems to put stress on the camera's focusing motor.

    2. Camera set to AF / Lens set to AF - The lens achieves very fast auto focus operation.
    Meanwhile the focus ring does not move during focusing, but can me moved freely by the hand and have no effect on focus.

    3. Camera set to MF / Lens set to MF - Moving the lens' focusing ring changes the focus, the focusing ring at this setting has a nice, firm feel to it.

    4. Camera set to MF / Lens set to AF - The lens cannot focus, manually or automatically.
    At this setting it is basically useless.

    I thought someone has previously confirmed that AF/MF can be done at the focusing ring, and the camera can be left in AF mode all the time? Can someone with the lens clarify?
    DR KOH KHO KING

  20. #80

    Default

    just follow number 3 if u want to use MF.


    follow number 2 if u want to use AF.

    1 and 4 just confuse u only, don't bother about it.


    during AF, your forcusing ring is lock ! do not turn it manually!


    Does your camera support Direct Manual Focus (DMF)
    ? if yes, your lens can set to MF and your camera set to AF(turn on the Direct Manual Focus (DMF)
    if applicable), when the shutter is not confirm, u can't turn the forcusing ring, when it is confirm, the forcusing ring is unlock, so you can turn it manually. normally people don't use Direct Manual Focus (DMF)
    , kinda troublesome.



    ps: Direct Manual Focus (DMF)
    Direct Manual Focus mode allows you to quickly adjust focusing after the focus is locked in AF mode. Pressing the shutter release half way activates and locks AF, in addition to releasing the internal clutch. This frees the focus ring, permitting you to focus manually, primarily for close-up or portrait shots. In this way, you benefit from the convenience of AF, plus the additional creative control of MF, without changing modes or settings.
    Last edited by ninelives; 8th August 2002 at 04:49 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •