Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What slides to use for oversea trip ?

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    Oh I meant the 6-pack are bundled by FujiFilm themselves, not the shop.
    Where to get them ?
    where is Fujiflim ?

Hmmm... I meant these are sold at Cathay Photo long time back, but sold in 6-pack form instead of single roll as part of marketing by FujiFilm. When did we ever heard FujiFilm sell film direct one?

I see :P

Locksley, my $0.02 ...

People pics : Fuji Astia 100 ... unbeatable if you want slide film
    Landscapes in good light : Fuji Velvia 50
    Landscapes in iffy light : Fuji Provia 100F

And bring a film picker, then you can swap film around mid-roll. Bring a permanent marker with a sharp tip so that you can write down things on the film cartridge or storage canister (eg. which frame you were at when you rewound, the date of the shoot, etc).

I've found Astia 100 & Provia 100F to be more or less interchangeable, with the Astia being a bit more neutral.

Some sage advice

Before deciding on which emulsions to use you should really consider the likely lighting you are going to encounter overseas. There's no point in sticking slavishly to one brand of film and it's colour cast when it's far better to match the film to the lighting conditions.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Ian, congrats on your 2000th post !

I agree and disagree with your point ... in the sense that it's good to know the likely shooting conditions (e.g. bright summer sunlight, or dull winter overcasts), and preparing appropriate film. However, color cast is a pretty subjective matter, at least in my experience, because we tend to find something that works for us and stick to it.

For me, it's Fuji, as I tended to favor the results over all the Kodak film that I've used (including the formerly highly-praised Kodachrome 64, which in my inexperienced hands turned out results that were suitable for putting in the circular file, ie. rubbish bin).

But I do agree (see, I'm jumping to the other side of the fence again !) that experimentation with different brands and types are good, this way we get to find out something else that may work better for us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12