Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Where can I learn to roller blade

This thread is getting hotter. rogersk8ter, convert the whole CS people to skater lah...then we can have something like weekly (monthly???) Paris Night Skate where thousands of skaters join in and skating on the road together.

Quote Originally Posted by rogersk8ter
    Hi Montec. yes yes i agree. I myself have never attented any school except my instructor course. everyone is different...thats what we learnt in our course too.

I broke my elbow once while trying to imitate a foreward crossover. And i bet i wouldnt have suffered if i were to have taken lessons. Reason is simple.....i would have use protections and learn the skills progressively-a step at a time.

Skate schools are commercial establisements and "to make money" is ofcos 1st on their list. Many a time, the instructor to students ratio are too high and attention were compromised(in my opinion). But i dun blame them....

It really depends on what you wanna acheive. If you just wanna be a recreational skater, than i believe most can learn just that all by themselve. But if you wanna be good in some decipline like Inline hockey, speed or even slalom, than a good foundation i think is very important. It certainly helps to better the learning curve.

Well, to each his own. Skate schools would not be florishing if many do not think is worth while right?

Oh! ive never mention "everyone Must take course"(check my post). Take care.
    oh i never mean you said those words. what i meant is there is a stigma in the skating world (especially if you knows some guys from the skating schools) that people must take course, and that is the right way...and what not. I mean there is no one way that fit everybody, everyone is different. Paddings is mandatory if you are a raw beginner. You should have put them on that time. But for ECP I would say it is a havoc place on weekends, people jaying walking in cycling tracks so helmet is a must becasue you'll never know all of a sudden a little boy just gets in you way (sound familiar?).

This week ok?
    Saturday or Sunday good for everyone?
    AM, PM or NIGHT blading better?
    East Coast or WHERE else?

Quote Originally Posted by Crysania
    Thinking of learning in line skating too. Just wondering, how much do the blades and safety gear cost?
    See if u wan good one or juz those cheap one...

Good pair would cost around 300 - 400 plus guards...

Aiyah... u just missed the Salomon Sales... 50% off all item in the shop...

The stupid sale came 1 mth after i got my skate... darn heart pain... spend about 30 dollars more... cos me and fren ordered from US... the skates there are cheaper...

Hi guys and gals, thank you all so much for showing your interest.
    makes me feel so obligated. Lets not disappoint and close the registration only when it reach 20pax....so go ahead and put your names here (Josho, u are most welcome).

I will split u all into 2 groups. So for the meantime email me at SkateAssist for your:

1. real name(thts how i prefer to identify you while i teach in public...unless u wanna hear me calling you "hello educated ah lian.."

2. email(will update you thru emails cos it is more acessible to me).

3. mobile no.(just in case it rains or a change in venue, sms is the best tools to communicate).

I like to know if you guys prefer weekdays(after7pm) or weekends. Please note that i need to check my schedule too.

Please note that this is a one time free clinic for beginners who want to learn how to skate base on IISA teaching methology. For those w/o skates, dun rush into buying one yet. Get them only when you are sure u wanna pick up the sport. Rent them for the time being.

Will put up more detail soon. thanks!

rogersk8ter
    Last edited by rogersk8ter; 26th January 2005 at 09:37 PM.

hey josho, u wana learn oso...??

me oso interested...

My blade use 2 time like use 100 times already... ultra lots of scars...

Newman brought up a good point: rent your skates first. But be prepared that the skates and protective gear may be smelly and damp from other people's perspirations! So either use wet wipes or tissue, hopefully that will help some. And don't ever wear the socks that they lend you--well at least there was such service years ago--the stink is stomach churning! Make sure the skates fit well. I got a pair that was the wrong size and developed a painful bunion while skating. It was sheer torture.
    P.s: I'm a newbie too. 'Forgotten' the little that I learnt from a friend years ago, and her technique wasn't great either. So it's like blind teaching the blinder! Hope rogersk8ter can help! Thanks, dude! You're most kind!

Uh actually nowadays they supply brand new socks everytime u rent blades. So you can use and then throw away. Better don't use your own socks in rented blades cos the stench of the blades will be transfused into your socks and then your shoe! the horror of horrors!!!

(1) Chenwei
    (2) meepokman
    (3) educated-ahlian
    (4) darrelchia
    (5) jt1
    (6) wormz777
    (7) rusty
    (8) John Teoh
    (9) hwchoy - me completely never skated before… how? where to buy gear?
    (10) benedium - just wanna hang with skaters
    (11) swiftdragon - I have a pair of size 9 skates (rollerblade brand) to spare..
    (12) calisc - sold off my blades cos they were too good for me... cannot brake...
    (13) rubric
    (14) syrinx : Would like to join to if the timing is suitable. Can probably stand up (albeit really slowly & carefully) without falling.
    (15) Hong Jia : Me Me ultra bad in skating... u wana teach... cannot turn cannot brake... can fall back but not front... and cannot even brake well with the heel brake... see my skate condition... u will heart pain... use 2 time like pple use 100 times...
    (16) isis & friend - Donno how to skate/blade, but keen to learn. Don't own any blading/skating gear or guards either.

All are welcome. Put your name here......stop at 20pax ya.

Most school disinfect their grears everyday....some every other day. It better to have ur own gears ofcos. Their helmet can make you steam...

Calling intermediate and advance skaters!

UPCOMING Saturday Night Skate (SNS)
    Where: Esplanade to Orchard Road (and Back)
    When: 29 January, 8pm. Don't be late!

I'll be serving SAV duty...so come and join me and my fellow skaters.

sent u email! hee~ must pick up again liao.

You can look for Law Kum Seng of the Singapore Inline. Very good and chin chai and not a showy instructor.

Calling intermediate and advance skaters!

UPCOMING Saturday Night Skate (SNS)
    Where: Esplanade to Orchard Road (and Back)
    When: 29 January, 8pm. Don't be late!

I'll be serving SAV duty...so come and join me and my fellow skaters.
    Maybe I'd like to join you guys this time. I only went for 1 SNS 2 years ago at ECP. I think the rest of the details are here.

Quote Originally Posted by _BEE_
    You can look for Law Kum Seng of the Singapore Inline. Very good and chin chai and not a showy instructor.
    Yes, he's a very humble chap.

(1) Chenwei
    (2) meepokman
    (3) educated-ahlian
    (4) darrelchia
    (5) jt1
    (6) wormz777
    (7) rusty
    (8) John Teoh
    (9) hwchoy - me completely never skated before… how? where to buy gear?
    (10) benedium - just wanna hang with skaters
    (11) swiftdragon - I have a pair of size 9 skates (rollerblade brand) to spare..
    (12) calisc - sold off my blades cos they were too good for me... cannot brake...
    (13) rubric
    (14) syrinx : Would like to join to if the timing is suitable. Can probably stand up (albeit really slowly & carefully) without falling.
    (15) Hong Jia : Me Me ultra bad in skating... u wana teach... cannot turn cannot brake... can fall back but not front... and cannot even brake well with the heel brake... see my skate condition... u will heart pain... use 2 time like pple use 100 times...
    (16) isis & friend - Donno how to skate/blade, but keen to learn. Don't own any blading/skating gear or guards either.
    (17) sillyme =)

Thanks to all who have updated me thru email.

Watch this thread for common updates.

Something to interest you....

This is how i benchmark my students:

Beginner
    Only able to do Heel Stop.

Intermidiate 1
    Able to do Spin Stop.

Intermidiate 2
    Able to Lunge Stop.

Advance
    Power Slide(emergency stop)

It not a hard and fast rule tho...subjective at times.

Thanks to all who have updated me thru email.

Watch this thread for common updates.

Something to interest you....

This is how i benchmark my students:

Beginner
    Only able to do Heel Stop.

Intermidiate 1
    Able to do Spin Stop.

Intermidiate 2
    Able to Lunge Stop.

Advance
    Power Slide(emergency stop)

It not a hard and fast rule tho...subjective at times.
    Ermm... what about those who dunno how to stop?

Tumbling stop.

I will join you guys next time, will be learning at my company's recreational club. Only $60 and equipment provided.

Law is stil laround ah?

wah.. used to hang out at his shop .. SK8. and started playign hockey there too.

memories..

heh.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast