Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: GX1 vs GF5

  1. #1

    Default GX1 vs GF5

    Hi All,

    Can someone please elaborate the difference these 2 cam?

    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

  3. #3

    Default

    What about epl3? Is is better than these 2?

  4. #4
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: GX1 vs GF5

    Different cameras altogether.

    EPL3 had a sensor that is the same as EP3, both are from Olympus. EPL3, EP3 and EPM1 had a different processing engine as the Panasonic. And all three of them had 12MP.

    GX1 had 16MP sensor which I believe is superior to the EP3, EPL3 and EPM1... and can resolve more detail. GF5 had a 12MP sensor (different from the one used in EPL3, EP3 and EPM1 though).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  5. #5
    Member milez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mab0oLine
    What about epl3? Is is better than these 2?
    GX1 is a much newer camera than EPL 3... Newer and better sensor too.
    E-M5 | O12-50 | O45/1.8 | P14/2.5 | O40-150 R | O17/1.8
    Metz 32CT7 | Flux Capacitor

  6. #6
    Senior Member Agrivar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milez

    GX1 is a much newer camera than EPL 3... Newer and better sensor too.
    EM-5 has the best sensor of all. Better even than e gh2
    Panny G85+GH3|EPL5|14|20|45|14-42|12-35|14-140|35-100|Metz 50 AF-1

  7. #7

    Default Re: GX1 vs GF5

    hi, check with you , for the gf 5, what is the different between Pancake Power Zoom 14-42mm and normal zoom 14-42? thanks

  8. #8
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: GX1 vs GF5

    The most noticeable difference is that the powerzoom system had taken away the zoom ring and manual focus ring, using electronic or electrical means to achieve the previously mentioned two features. This would reduce the size of the lens tremendously.



    (Courtesy of Panasonic Lumix G X 14-42mm PZ Lens Review)

    Another thing was that the lens was virtually silent, thus very good for movie (I have not use the Pany 14-42mm kit lens before so I cannot verify this point). The next thing is the smoothness of the powerzoom lens when it zoom in and out during movie mode, which is claimed to be smoother than normal mechanical zoom ring of the kit lens.

    And for people who are used to PnS cameras, this lens would be very much appreciated because the function are very similar to PnS camera zoom in and out fuction.
    Last edited by rhino123; 27th July 2012 at 09:17 AM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  9. #9

    Default Re: GX1 vs GF5

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    The most noticeable difference is that the powerzoom system had taken away the zoom ring and manual focus ring, using electronic or electrical means to achieve the previously mentioned two features. This would reduce the size of the lens tremendously.



    (Courtesy of Panasonic Lumix G X 14-42mm PZ Lens Review)

    Another thing was that the lens was virtually silent, thus very good for movie (I have not use the Pany 14-42mm kit lens before so I cannot verify this point). The next thing is the smoothness of the powerzoom lens when it zoom in and out during movie mode, which is claimed to be smoother than normal mechanical zoom ring of the kit lens.

    And for people who are used to PnS cameras, this lens would be very much appreciated because the function are very similar to PnS camera zoom in and out fuction.

    like that, it seem to be a p and s camera, just that it can change lens, how about iq wise?

  10. #10
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: GX1 vs GF5

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzmario View Post
    like that, it seem to be a p and s camera, just that it can change lens, how about iq wise?
    Correction... every camera (DSLR and mirrorless interchangeable lens camera) can be a PnS camera... and so all cameras can look and functioned like one, but frankly that means nothing and should not mean anything. The Panasonic came up with this idea which is very innovative and good, especially for movie taking since zooming in and out can be very very quiet... plus like what I have mentioned before, the doing away of mechanical parts could make the lens very very small and thin.

    Anyway, IQ wise as mentioned in some reviews, should be around the same as the kit lens.
    Last edited by rhino123; 27th July 2012 at 04:50 PM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  11. #11

    Default Re: GX1 vs GF5

    how about the iq the power zoom lens compare to the normal lens. I suppose the pan cake lens should be better than the power zoom in term of IQ?

  12. #12
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: GX1 vs GF5

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzmario View Post
    how about the iq the power zoom lens compare to the normal lens. I suppose the pan cake lens should be better than the power zoom in term of IQ?
    I already pointed out that the power zoom lens IQ is the same as the normal kit lens. As to Pancake lens or what... these are essentially prime lens and some of the prime lens had sharper images as compared to zoom lens.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •