Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should i Change??

Default Re: Should i Change??

Quote Originally Posted by Ericang View Post
    less then 1.3k
    the Oly PEN series should do you fine, with the E-P3(14-42 kit) going at $1070 cash at TK Foto.

i'm leaning towards Oly due to the IBIS, of cause' you can look at Panasonic GX1 as well.

but do take note that quite a large number of the m43 do not have viewfinder right out of the box, so your shooting style may need to change a bit.

MS Color having a trade in discounts for E-PL3 SLK and DZK

Original Link from facebook: Wall Photos | Facebook
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Go for the E-P3 or GH2 depending on what sort of shape you like. M4/3 lens are not as expensive as Nikon lens. You can also buy adapter to mount your Nikon lens on m4/3 body. Just sell your D90 body.
    Should be well within your budget.

Or get a used GX1 or EPL2 to try out. If don't like, sell it. You won't lose much. If like, also sell it and buy the m4/3 camera you want.

There are new mirror less cams coming up soon, e.g. Canon's EOS M, panny GH3, Olympus EP4/5. Many options.
    E-M5 | O12-50 | O45/1.8 | P14/2.5 | O40-150 R | O17/1.8
    Metz 32CT7 | Flux Capacitor

IMHO, you should keep your SLR and lenses for awhile longer. And, spend a little bit time more time to read up and explore the M43 like advised. There may be limitations like what was mentioned, eg. no view finder on some models unless you buy the EVF (which is not cheap). Shooting in sunlit conditions is quite challenging without a VF.

I use the GX1 for street photography and casual outings because it is portable. However, when it comes travel, macro and sports photography, I feel the SLR is still the way to go. Can't comment on IQ, perhaps it's just me, SLR seems better.

As I was told and forewarned before I bought the M43, it's entirely a new system and $$$ will have to be spent to enjoy.

My 2 cents
    OLYMPUS EM1.2 I (7-14, 12-40, 12-100,40-150,300)

Canon has finally introduced a mirrorless camera to their range. Really late to the game IMO.

Canon EOS M: hands-on preview of Canon's first mirrorless EOS: Digital Photography Review

No manual features at all though.
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD

Quote Originally Posted by Shahmatt View Post
    Canon has finally introduced a mirrorless camera to their range. Really late to the game IMO.

Canon EOS M: hands-on preview of Canon's first mirrorless EOS: Digital Photography Review

what do you mean by "no manual features?"

the camera sports a Full Manual mode if you look carefully.

better to keep and buy the m34 . after a while, see which you perfer and keep the one you want. or just keep both!

Quote Originally Posted by Shahmatt View Post

No mode dial doesn't mean no manual features. It can do aperture priority, shutter speed priority and full manual, although some of the control are in the touch screen (and in my opinion was quite easily assess).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    what do you mean by "no manual features?"

the camera sports a Full Manual mode if you look carefully.
    Oh right. Sorry. I just assumed because it has no mode dial. Bit inconvenient though.
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD

It's like accessing soft touch screen menu to change tv channel, adjust volume, etc.
    E-M5 | O12-50 | O45/1.8 | P14/2.5 | O40-150 R | O17/1.8
    Metz 32CT7 | Flux Capacitor

hi, i went from gf1 to d90.

Here are my thoughts on the 2 system.Firstly, the better m4/3 lens are not that cheap. i bought the panasonic 25 1.4 for $807 2nd hand sells for around $750.you can get nikon 50 1.4d for below $400 2nd hand.

you mentioned your budget is 1.3k. the pana 2.8 zooms cost more than that.

i switched because i wanted ultra wide. The pana untra wide 7-14 f4 is over 1k 2nd hand.

you pay for size tho. m4/3 is much smaller. it takes up way lesser space in your bag. d90 has bettr handling to me.

might want to think about price b4 switching

well..if ur travelling...i dun think u wanna carry a heavy camera and walk around and snap..yeah..u get good shots..but will u enjoy the trip? or limp back to hotel and rest ur arms..shoulders from carrying too much gears...

am a DSLR user..changed to m4/3 months ago..didnt regret my choice..then again..its TS decision..haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinata76
    well..if ur travelling...i dun think u wanna carry a heavy camera and walk around and snap..yeah..u get good shots..but will u enjoy the trip? or limp back to hotel and rest ur arms..shoulders from carrying too much gears...

am a DSLR user..changed to m4/3 months ago..didnt regret my choice..then again..its TS decision..haha.
    Ditto, carry lesser, care lesser, take lots of photos, enjoy your trip.

You'll be amazed what a gf3 can do for you.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bleh/
    let the universe surprise you .)

Quote Originally Posted by puraime

Yup. When I travel, I just had my Nikon D50 and a 18-200mm lenses. Don't need to bother about changing lenses. Just about what photos to take
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by puraime View Post

A GF3 can take many good photos, if you have the right settings, timing and a bit of luck.

A GF, on the other hand, demands your time, patience and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericang View Post
    Thinking of changing my D90 to a M43 camera.
    Should i ?

Beside Panasonic coming with with constant aperture F2.8 lens, any other maker has such as well ?

What M43 camera is good with a reasonably good price tag?
    Don't buy into m4/3 before thinking over what you want out of changing system.
    Have a look/feel of the upcoming f2.8 zooms before deciding.
    They may end up to be as big/heavy as a tamron 17-50/2.8 for APS-C

To me the strength of m4/3 lies in its small primes designed for m4/3 format.

to me both to it's own advantages, i get a M4/3 cos is lighter & smaller for travel & casual shoot, IQ department & performance does not lose so much with the bigger DSLR, i agree some lenses are abit more expensive but so far the prices still quite "reasonable" + if u really dun hve the money u can always use an adapter with those old fast manual lens which priced very cheap on ebay, aside from M4/3 u can also consider the NEX system it hve 1.5x crop factor compare to the 2x on M4/3
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

M43 can mount all sort of lenses, very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jlim76
    M43 can mount all sort of lenses, very fun.
    So is sony nex, Samsung nx, Fuji x, etc mirrorless once you can find right adaptor. Since most Mirrorless today has shorter lens flange distance than dslr/Slr. Ebay has many adapters these days
    Last edited by wonglp; 2nd August 2012 at 07:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12