Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra wide angle lens to recommend

Default Ultra wide angle lens to recommend

Hi,

I'm interested to get myself an UWA lens. I did search through some review and i'm down to two of them based on the cost and quality (compromised of course).

1) Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    2) Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF)
    3) Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF)

I'm also interested for this as well
    Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM

I wonder has anyone here has used the above lens b4? mind to give some comments?

Thanks!

Default Re: Ultra wide angle lens to recommend

Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 ATX-PRO DX

is one of the best if not the best ultra wide angles i've used, excellent sharpness even at wide open and tough all metal build

TS which camera you are using?
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

I have the Sigma 17-70mm OS. It is a pretty nice lens, small and with very effective OS. However there are lens creep in my copy of the lens which can be pretty frustrating, this problem can easily be rectified though... using rubber band.

As for the UWA needs, I go with my Tokina 12-24mm... a lens that I loved very very much... and it is pretty cheap (I think I got it at around 7xx in TKfoto some time back, cannot remember already.)

Tokina 12-24mm f4 - a set on Flickr (some of my shots taken with the Tokina 12-24mm)
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    TS which camera you are using?
    Oh! I'm using Nikon D5100. I thought of getting UWA cuz my preferred range is ard 20-35mm; which I supposed the lens should be ard 14-22mm?

Quote Originally Posted by ReiszRie View Post
    Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 ATX-PRO DX

is one of the best if not the best ultra wide angles i've used, excellent sharpness even at wide open and tough all metal build
    I love this too but no autofocus on my camera... So, seems need more time to adjust the focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by lewissac View Post
    I love this too but no autofocus on my camera... So, seems need more time to adjust the focusing.
    go get the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 ATX-PRO DXII

it comes with it's own AF motor, TKfoto carries it

Oh really? I thought Tokina do not make lens with internal focusing motor?

Quote Originally Posted by lewissac

Oh really? I thought Tokina do not make lens with internal focusing motor?
    Version 2 has a motor built in

Oh! I'm using Nikon D5100. I thought of getting UWA cuz my preferred range is ard 20-35mm; which I supposed the lens should be ard 14-22mm?
    Got any budget?
    Autofocus important?

For that range, looking only at DX lenses your choice are tamron 10-24, tokina 12-24 and nikkor 10-24 and 12-24. Generally, I'm biased towards nikkor lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    Got any budget?
    Autofocus important?

For that range, looking only at DX lenses your choice are tamron 10-24, tokina 12-24 and nikkor 10-24 and 12-24. Generally, I'm biased towards nikkor lenses.
    I'm a budget camera user. So I prefer to have 3rd party lens. No doubt Nikkor Lenses are awesome but at a price.

If possible FX lenses also will do. In fact better since I intend to go FX too (in a long term).

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Version 2 has a motor built in
    Oh cool! Any idea how much is the price range? I check through the price guide but seems pretty outdated.

yeap i got for my d3200...works like charm..feels more solid than the version i too..imo

Quote Originally Posted by lewissac View Post
    Oh cool! Any idea how much is the price range? I check through the price guide but seems pretty outdated.
    around 1000

Quote Originally Posted by grievor View Post
    around 1000
    950 last updated by TK foto
    Sony A7/ Sigma 19-2.8 E/ CV 35-1.7 ASPH/ FE 55-1.8/ MC Rokkor 58-1.2/ Pentax SMC K 135-2.5

I'll opt for Tokina 11-16mm also. I still have my Mark 1 which I treasure it.

Sigma 10-20 does a decent job. Never missed f/2.8. Can be used on FF / film bodies from 16mm onwards.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    950 last updated by TK foto
    O.0 pricey... Anyway I might consider this if I hv extra budget. Right now I'm looking into 600-700 budget? or die die at most 800 (total wallet squeezing).

I'm a budget camera user. So I prefer to have 3rd party lens. No doubt Nikkor Lenses are awesome but at a price.

If possible FX lenses also will do. In fact better since I intend to go FX too (in a long term).
    If you are on a budget and don't mind 4mm less on the long end, you might consider sigma 10-20/4-5.6 2nd hand around $500.

If you want FX lens, then it won't be that budget anymore and you are losing fov on the wide end.
    Last edited by coolthought; 20th July 2012 at 04:11 PM.

Tokina 12-24mm... around 7xx. Have AF motor built in, excellent image quality, same built as Tokina 11-16mm.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast