Thread: Taking care of LCD monitor

qhelix
    Guests

Default Taking care of LCD monitor

I just got an LCD monitor for $659. Now I'm wondering whether it's ok to leave it on the whole time and use the screensaver or should I always turn it off when I'm not uing the computer. I remember someone saying it's not good to switch it on and off too often, but then I don't know what's considered too often...

Just return it ,and get one SONY 19" CRT, the people who have the photography as hobby they must have only the best monitors .
    Olympus C2100 X3 - E100RS - C220
    IS/L lenses ALL :-D

qhelix
    Guests

Originally posted by syncmaster
    Just return it ,and get one SONY 19" CRT, the people who have the photography as hobby they must have only the best monitors .
    Eh, but I need an LCD monitor to bring over to Melbourne. I'm gonna be studying there and I'm bringing my desktop over. A CRT monitor will be too difficult for me to bring over.

Blog Entries

Use your LCD just like you would your CRT - having it on all the time or switching it on and off will have no discernible effect over the expected lifespan of the monitor.

Just for comparison's sake-
    1. Notebook - been using this for 3+ yrs with daily on/off, screensaver, etc, etc. and it's still going strong with no ill effect.
    2. Shared PC at work - normally on 24hrs as its hooked up to flatbed as well as CD-RW; screensaver enabled. Again, no visible ill effects.
    3. At home - LCD is turned on/off at least once per day (more on weekends); again, no ill-effects.

One good thing about LCDs is that it only consumes a fraction of a CRT even in standby mode (apart from the obvious size/weight savings).

So bottom line - Don't worry about the LCD monitor, just use it like you used your CRT.

Disclaimer: Examples given are based on author's experience and not a statistically or legally enforceable statement of truth in a court of law.

qhelix
    Guests

Originally posted by Darren
    One good thing about LCDs is that it only consumes a fraction of a CRT even in standby mode (apart from the obvious size/weight savings).

So bottom line - Don't worry about the LCD monitor, just use it like you used your CRT.

Disclaimer: Examples given are based on author's experience and not a statistically or legally enforceable statement of truth in a court of law.
    Really? Didn't know it was so economical to run an LCD monitor rather than a CRT one!

Blog Entries

Originally posted by qhelix
    Really? Didn't know it was so economical to run an LCD monitor rather than a CRT one!

This quote taken from Anandtech in their review of a Samsung 19" LCD (whoa!) :-
    Another advantage of the monitor that seemed to fit under features was its extremely low power consumption. The 191T operates on a low 30-40W, and only 3W when on standby. The typical 19 CRT operates around 100-120W (sometimes even more). Standby on a CRT is closer to 6W. Furthermore, an LCD will generate almost no heat while a CRT will keep the office at a toasty 120 degrees this July.

qhelix
    Guests

Originally posted by Darren

This quote taken from Anandtech in their review of a Samsung 19" LCD (whoa!) :-
    My goodness...wonder if this applies to the Philips 15" LCD monitor I bought...even if it's not the same, I hope it's at least close to that kind of power consumption.

Midnight
    Guests

It's ok to leave the LCD on, but do remember to enable the screensaver. There have been reports on the Net of some users whose LCD screens suffered 'image burn-in' after leaving their screens on for a prolonged period with the same static image on-screen. I don't know if this is a common problem, but better safe than sorry.

qhelix
    Guests

Originally posted by Midnight
    It's ok to leave the LCD on, but do remember to enable the screensaver. There have been reports on the Net of some users whose LCD screens suffered 'image burn-in' after leaving their screens on for a prolonged period with the same static image on-screen. I don't know if this is a common problem, but better safe than sorry.
    Well, nowadays I just leave it on during the day and switch it off when i'm sleeping. That should be good enough right?

There shld be no probs leaving it on the whole day just make sure that u put it in power saving mode when you are not using to save electricity.

LCD's definitely consume a fraction of electricity as compated to what CRTs use...

Originally posted by qhelix

Eh, but I need an LCD monitor to bring over to Melbourne. I'm gonna be studying there and I'm bringing my desktop over. A CRT monitor will be too difficult for me to bring over.
    Qhelix, u better keep the original packaging...cos they dun allow boxes into the airplane cabin. You would have to check it in as fragile...make sure that the LCD is properly secured in the packaging.

qhelix
    Guests

Originally posted by zapp!

Qhelix, u better keep the original packaging...cos they dun allow boxes into the airplane cabin. You would have to check it in as fragile...make sure that the LCD is properly secured in the packaging.
    They don't? How come? My box is pretty small (it is an LCD monitor after all)...I honestly don't trust checking in my monitor...isn't there another way?

U can try when u check in, but chances are slim...why dun u call the airline company and try to negotiate with them before you leave...that would solve all the hassles of trying to convince the check-in staff to allow u to bring in the box.

qhelix
    Guests

Doh...don't have much time for that already...think i'll just slip the monitor into my hand-carry bag and pad it with lotsa clothing or something...will that help? The X-Ray machine wont do anything to it right?

Midnight
    Guests

I think it should be all right if you can manage to fit the LCD monitor into your hand-carry luggage. After all, if they allow laptops on board, I don't see why not LCD monitors as long as everything fits within their size/weight requirements.