Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to check my cam when....

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by josho

Just got back from The Camera Workshop @ Peninsula.

Everything is fine! NO dented. The thread is literally fine! Phew!!!!! Lucky for me enough!

Anyway, can someone tell me, how many differences of UV are there? I know theres HMC etc.. i got mine and it look as it had something cover the image.

Someone? hehe
    Congrats! You are very lucky your 'long one' still in tip top condition. Take better care ok?

Just got back from The Camera Workshop @ Peninsula.

Everything is fine! NO dented. The thread is literally fine! Phew!!!!! Lucky for me enough!

Anyway, can someone tell me, how many differences of UV are there? I know theres HMC etc.. i got mine and it look as it had something cover the image.

Someone? hehe

Something cover the image? You mean a colour cast over it or something? Try a B+W, you might it

Quote Originally Posted by snapMan
    you mean UV light or UV filters?

Anyway for hoya filters, got these types.. http://www.photofilter.com/hoya.htm
    wats the differences leh. I dun really understand for some of the filters..

Obviously i mean FILTERS lah! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LifeWorld
    Congrats! You are very lucky your 'long one' still in tip top condition. Take better care ok?
    Long one..

And yes.. heng!!!

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    Something cover the image? You mean a colour cast over it or something? Try a B+W, you might it
    I wish I really understand it. lol
    Koz too many different type of UV filter for HOYA. Which is the best? Or rather common usage or rather recommended?

In general, there are some "standard" filters that would be bought by film users, like polariser, UV, Skylight, Haze, Warm, Neutral Density (ND) and Graduated filters. I am not sure of digital users, but Polariser, ND and Graduated filters are still very much applicable.

Different filters for different usage. Like during daylight you want a slow picture, you add a ND filter to reduce the amount of light (based on number of stops for ND), while having the same ISO and aperture (some lense are sharpest at F8, but you need F64 for that picture), you got a slower shutter speed. With digital cameras there is lesser time put onto the filters IMHO.

I am still learning a lot of stuff, so I am not too sure of many things. My current aim is to get to use the correct films (slides or negatives) I like to my eyes and improve on my composition. Filters will come when I find problems which it can solve. But I know that filters can make wonders if used creatively and correctly.

I wish I really understand it. lol
    Koz too many different type of UV filter for HOYA. Which is the best? Or rather common usage or rather recommended?
    First you need to understand why coating is important. Basically it enhances light transmission, protect filter surface and removes "ghosting and flare". Light transmission increases as more layers of coating are applied.

The various type in the HOYA series are various grades. For HOYA series there are Standard, HMC, ULTRA, Super HMC and PRO1.

HMC = Hoya Multi Coated. Allows 97% light transmission. Ring depth is 5mm.

ULTRA = Similar to HMC, with ring depth of 3mm. 40% lighter than HMC equivalent.

Super HMC = You can guess what it means. Allows 99.7% light transmission. Ring depth is 5mm.

Pro1 = Similar to Super HMC, with the glass being 1mm in thickness and the ring depth is only 3mm. 40% lighter than Super HMC equivalent.

Not all type of filter comes in all the different grades, for some there is only the STANDARD.

For permanent mount, the UV(0) or Skylight 1B is recommended. Both comes in all the various Hoya grade. As this is always mounted, do spend on some high quality filter as all your photo will always pass through this filter. Don't save on this, no point buying a cheap filter, you will be better off without one. Remember garbage in, garbage out.

For Hoya, the minimum grade to go for is HMC. If you can spend a bit more go for the Super HMC. The Pro1 is the most expensive in the Hoya series, but if you want to look cool this is the one to get. The thin depth helps to reduce vignetting if you like to stack multiple filters and taking picture at wide most angle. For FZ10/20, if you are using the 62mm or 55mm filter size, this should not be a big concern.

UV(0) = Absorbs ultraviolet rays to reduce hazy and indistinct.
    Skylight 1B = Reduces excessive blue.

Other than Hoya, you can consider B+W as well, they made good quality filter at a price.

I don't work for Hoya, I just happen to have their catalog and most of my filters are Hoya.

Have Fun.

Josho...

tokina 72mm one last time i got it for 18 dollars... so 62mm i guess should be cheaper... but i think tokina is only single coated... or else it is darn cheap... not written anywhere if it is multi or single...

If you wan to get Hoya... i guess HMC one is good enough... multicoated... remember the UV filter is juz use to protect the inner len... HMC hoya... should be around 27...

Learn something about filters from tankm today

oh, hoya filters got a problem when you're cleaning. cos the coating comes off pretty easily when you wipe your filter....so beware!!! mine like got tiny specks where the coating came off liao...:s...sucks man

Thanks for the guidance!

Snapman- thats bad! What did u use to clean?

erm..lens cleaning cloth? lint free!

Yes...those coating will come out if you clean too often!

Or try a Lenspen with a blower, more precise

BTW, just got myself a Lenpen....pretty good lah..

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    Or try a Lenspen with a blower, more precise

My comes with a brush...no blower leh

Sama sama. I also uses Len Pen So Far So good

i used lens pen..then it cased more coating to come off! *sweat* cos have some rain drop stains then like cannot come off...i used breath also cannot...in the end poured some water then used a lint free cloth..then ok liao..but the coating can see abit of smudge cos of the lens pen...sigh

Personally I do not like Hoya's filter. For FZ20 users just spend more on a good B+W filter for perm use.... If I got money I will buy all B+W for my lense, but then I will be shooting many roll of slide lesser, problem of films

B+W... sound like BnW... then it will sound more like BMW...
    expensive stuff... but made in germany...

Ask snapman to go scout... maybe got cheaper one, cos he in germany...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast