Thread: D70 in SNOWLAND

Default D70 in SNOWLAND

OKOK....

anyone have any idea if a D70 will work at -10 degrees.... in SNOW......

pls give some real life egs like how many shots can a en-el3 batt last for etc etc...
    and more imptly ...will the camera "FREEZE".... i.e. even if got full batt also cannot shutter off......

may be getting some kindda thermal cover for the cam....dunno how much it will help also

thanks and regards,
    Witness

According to photographer, Steven Yee, took his D70 to China in -8, it works perfectly, no freezing, battery life's normal, together with his lexar 1 Gig CF. (The article's on Focus, Nikon quarterly newsletter)

I would say, D70 works in extreme weather, but always be on the safer side, if possible, have a backup body.

You should worry more about the battery. Most of the time, it is the battery that don't function well in cold weather. Always keep your battery near to heat source such as your body to keep it warm.

I'm not sure how well it will work, but it MIGHT work (in theory).

Assuming if ur D70 got a battery grip, grab some gaffer tape and those disposable packets of hand/pocket warmers and gaffer tape those packets around the battery grip area.

So far haven't tried it. It might work in theory. U want u can try it out. But if it kills ur equipment, don't find me. :P

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    I'm not sure how well it will work, but it MIGHT work (in theory).

Assuming if ur D70 got a battery grip, grab some gaffer tape and those disposable packets of hand/pocket warmers and gaffer tape those packets around the battery grip area.

So far haven't tried it. It might work in theory. U want u can try it out. But if it kills ur equipment, don't find me. :P

Will it be too warm for the rubber grip? Just in case it melts and leaves a sticky mess.

hmmm....-8 is pretty near to the temp i will be ard...

ya i got another film body juz in case.....

hope the all weather cover works then....

thanks alot..

I just came back from NY with stopover at Minneapolis last friday night....temperature there ranges from +5C to -10C....I managed about 400+ shots with EL3 and 300+ with Megapower

Pack warm as most of the time it was my hand and finger that cannot tahan not the camera But I use Lowepro TLZ1 beg so 98% of the time the camera is sleeping soundly in there

Quote Originally Posted by macfreak
    According to photographer, Steven Yee, took his D70 to China in -8, it works perfectly, no freezing, battery life's normal, together with his lexar 1 Gig CF. (The article's on Focus, Nikon quarterly newsletter)

I would say, D70 works in extreme weather, but always be on the safer side, if possible, have a backup body.
    Hmmm.. i think SY is using S2pro... anyway, i have used D70 at under -5 or less and it's fine. Key is to have spare battery or keep it warm in your hand or pockets.

yup....so i guess it wun be a big issue of using the cam in low temp regardless of anything ya...

at least i got a spare batt...

thanks everyone...