Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Garden , Green Bench in HDR

Default Green Garden , Green Bench in HDR

Green Garden Green Bench hdr by andysim65, on Flickr

1.In what area is critique to be sought?
    a. Is the HDR look ok?
    b. is the bench compose at the right place?
    c. is the path fall in line with the picture?
    d. any other comment that can help me improve are welcome?

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    hope to made singapore a more green country, hope everyone likes the picture.

3.Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
    taken around 11.15am,where sun is right on top ,using Nikon D800 16-35mm lens handheld with 8 stop filter
    iso100 26mm f16 1/60sec bracket 3 shot.

4. What the critque seeker personally thinks of the picture?
    i like the colour , the green environment of the picture, but would appreciate the expert comment and teach me a few more things.

Thanks everyone who comments in advance.Sincerely Appreciate.

Default Re: Green Garden , Green Bench in HDR

Quote Originally Posted by Shiece View Post
    Can be
    i really hope can be a green green country

Quote Originally Posted by GlimaLap View Post
    Idea excellent, it agree with you.
    thanks, at least i know i got supporter

i like the greenery, and the iconic HDB flats in the background, contrasting with the green in the foreground

i feel the image looks a bit overprocessed, the trees looks glowing hehe... though I like the nice contrast/details in the leaves
    and there is this weird darkening of the sky in the middle

just wondering, what is the 8 stop filter used for in this image?

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    i like the greenery, and the iconic HDB flats in the background, contrasting with the green in the foreground

i feel the image looks a bit overprocessed, the trees looks glowing hehe... though I like the nice contrast/details in the leaves
    and there is this weird darkening of the sky in the middle

just wondering, what is the 8 stop filter used for in this image?

Thanks for sharing!
    this image is process in hdr so the cloud look weird,
    the filter is to made the sky not over expose.
    i too love the HDB flats with ours national flag hanging with ours national day coming soon it really compliment the picture and my theme of green city , green garden.

thanks for feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Shiece View Post
    Ur!!!! We have won

u mean we have won the eco city award?

Quote Originally Posted by andysim65 View Post

1.In what area is critique to be sought?
    a. Is the HDR look ok?
    b. is the bench compose at the right place?
    c. is the path fall in line with the picture?
    d. any other comment that can help me improve are welcome?
    a. The HDR processing looks overcooked. The plants look like they are given radioactive fertilizers. HDR processing is not even across the photo, the sky was dark but the small patch of sky between the leaves on the right is bright. The patch of grass at the right was OK but the grass at the right has its color muted. You need to spend more time to work on your HDR.

b. Bench's placement is OK but it will be much better if there is a human subject on the bench, or at the pathway. The empty bench and lack of human subjects in the photo makes it look a little eerie. An old man reading newspaper on the bench, or a new family pushing their stroller on the pathway... just some ideas.

c. This photo might be better if composed in 16:9 wide format, to include more on the left and right. The pathway serves as leading lines but directs viewer's eye to "nothing"... nothing was in the pathway or at the end of the pathway.

The photo, although with lots of greenery shown it is hard to relate it to eco-city or green city. You may try to drop the HDR effect and focus on tweaking the contrast/ saturation to bring out lively colors.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    a. The HDR processing looks overcooked. The plants look like they are given radioactive fertilizers. HDR processing is not even across the photo, the sky was dark but the small patch of sky between the leaves on the right is bright. The patch of grass at the right was OK but the grass at the right has its color muted. You need to spend more time to work on your HDR.

b. Bench's placement is OK but it will be much better if there is a human subject on the bench, or at the pathway. The empty bench and lack of human subjects in the photo makes it look a little eerie. An old man reading newspaper on the bench, or a new family pushing their stroller on the pathway... just some ideas.

c. This photo might be better if composed in 16:9 wide format, to include more on the left and right. The pathway serves as leading lines but directs viewer's eye to "nothing"... nothing was in the pathway or at the end of the pathway.

The photo, although with lots of greenery shown it is hard to relate it to eco-city or green city. You may try to drop the HDR effect and focus on tweaking the contrast/ saturation to bring out lively colors.
    Firstly i want to thanks u for comment, u really put in effort to point out my mistake, i sincerely appreciate.
    For point a, i fully agree with u, even the small patch of sky u also can point it out.
    For point b, it would be a wonderful idea to have a subject , i never pre-plan my shoot so have to depend on luck. But i don't think any one will sit on the bench at around 11.15am under the hot sun.
    For point c, i also like 16:9 for landscape , but i don't want crop away the tree and sky, the bench will be very near the bottom of the picture.
    For the last point , the photo is just a hope ,i just hope someone will believe our country will be more eco-friendly, just 1 person agree , i will be very happy, the photo is trying to convey the message.
    my interest is HDR , i learning so just bare with my poor skill.
    Last edited by andysim65; 19th July 2012 at 12:37 PM.

not a pro here, just tell you how i feel about this pic..
    i like them alot..
    bt i dont know y, this pic feel "not real"
    i dont know how to put it, bt it look good too me.
    Canon| Tokina(UWA) | newly added a Tamron(walkabout)

Quote Originally Posted by kelchew
    not a pro here, just tell you how i feel about this pic..
    i like them alot..
    bt i dont know y, this pic feel "not real"
    i dont know how to put it, bt it look good too me.
    The pic don't look real is because is process, in HDR style , but it boot up the contrast , making the shadow part brighter
    Which is nice , bad side is it look surreal.thanks for like the pic.

HDR doesn't mean it needs to look surreal. can try correcting the white balance and backing off the saturation a bit to make the colours look more realistic.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    HDR doesn't mean it needs to look surreal. can try correcting the white balance and backing off the saturation a bit to make the colours look more realistic.
    Thanks Zaren, your version is definitely more better than mine , more eye pleasing, my version look more like many day without rain , the grass all dried out.
    I like to post in this tread cause i always learn things from the expert, for example what Zaren have mention.

eh, the lighting is just too weird...

i not sure what kind of 8 stops filter you were using, ND or stacked GND?

Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    eh, the lighting is just too weird...

i not sure what kind of 8 stops filter you were using, ND or stacked GND?
    i use the Hoya ND8 filter, the lighting is cause by HDR processing.

Quote Originally Posted by andysim65

i use the Hoya ND8 filter, the lighting is cause by HDR processing.
    Nd8 is only 3 stops and I not sure what you used the nd for. 3 stops do nothing under such strong sunlight and you are not hitting the shutter limit - 1/8000s either. The shutter speed is not slow enough to yield cloud movement too.

You say you wanna use the nd to prevent over exposure of sky. Right, say the dynamic range is not enough to retain the highlights, then you should be using gnd instead(not really applicable here though, due to the way the sky is in the photo). The nd will just bring the shutter speed of the entire scene down, it does not help to bring closer the exposure of sky to the ground, so back to square one again.

And yes, the weird lighting is due to the hdr processing but you are the one who controls the entire pp.

I'm not saying you are at fault or whatsoever. Just highlighting some of the key points I noticed.

Cheers mate.

Nd8 is only 3 stops and I not sure what you used the nd for. 3 stops do nothing under such strong sunlight and you are not hitting the shutter limit - 1/8000s either. The shutter speed is not slow enough to yield cloud movement too.

You say you wanna use the nd to prevent over exposure of sky. Right, say the dynamic range is not enough to retain the highlights, then you should be using gnd instead(not really applicable here though, due to the way the sky is in the photo). The nd will just bring the shutter speed of the entire scene down, it does not help to bring closer the exposure of sky to the ground, so back to square one again.

And yes, the weird lighting is due to the hdr processing but you are the one who controls the entire pp.

I'm not saying you are at fault or whatsoever. Just highlighting some of the key points I noticed.

Cheers mate.
    Oh yes GND will better, but i don't have one, but i am planning to get one in the future, any brand u can recommend, i will take note on the point u mention in my future picture, is true i am the one who control the PP , fully agree and yours comment are most welcome.

i will be a happier photographer after learning a few things from u. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andysim65 View Post
    Oh yes GND will better, but i don't have one, but i am planning to get one in the future, any brand u can recommend, i will take note on the point u mention in my future picture, is true i am the one who control the PP , fully agree and yours comment are most welcome.

i will be a happier photographer after learning a few things from u. Thanks
    i'm currently using the Hitech gnd kit set + Lee Big Stopper, both working well for me.

have used the B+W ND110 too, but sold it when i migrate to square filter system.

also looking at lower stop ND to complement the rest of the filters but have not decide on which one yet.

all depending on your budget, really.

I asked about the use of the ND filter but forgot to follow up on your answer heh apologies...

I was asking because I thought you may have used it to slow the shutter speed such that people walking by will be blurred or rendered 'invisible', however the shutter speed did not seem slow enough for that. If use the filter for darkening the sky the ground will be equally darkened, as others have pointed out. Could also have used the ND filter so that you can use a wider aperture but in this case you wanted everything in focus. Wondering if there are other ways of using the ND filter...

As tecnica has pointed out Hoya ND8 is a 3 stop filter (2 to the power of '3'), Hoya 9 stop filter is called ND400.

There're many brands for GND, but would suggest a square format one so you can adjust where the gradiation is. Should get a decent brand one with less colour cast, as it is harder to correct a cast from GND than a ND. Check out daredevil123's guide on filters:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbi...e-filters.html

However in this photo I think it will be difficult for GND to work, as the trees in the foreground extend all the way to the top, so if GND is used the top of the trees will be darkened as well. Though can still PP but looks too tedious to me. My feel is that HDR or shooting the photo during the golden hours will be better in this situation.

just my 2 cents

i'm currently using the Hitech gnd kit set + Lee Big Stopper, both working well for me.

have used the B+W ND110 too, but sold it when i migrate to square filter system.

also looking at lower stop ND to complement the rest of the filters but have not decide on which one yet.

all depending on your budget, really.
    Thanks for yours info, Tecnica.

Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    I asked about the use of the ND filter but forgot to follow up on your answer heh apologies...

I was asking because I thought you may have used it to slow the shutter speed such that people walking by will be blurred or rendered 'invisible', however the shutter speed did not seem slow enough for that. If use the filter for darkening the sky the ground will be equally darkened, as others have pointed out. Could also have used the ND filter so that you can use a wider aperture but in this case you wanted everything in focus. Wondering if there are other ways of using the ND filter...

As tecnica has pointed out Hoya ND8 is a 3 stop filter (2 to the power of '3'), Hoya 9 stop filter is called ND400.

There're many brands for GND, but would suggest a square format one so you can adjust where the gradiation is. Should get a decent brand one with less colour cast, as it is harder to correct a cast from GND than a ND. Check out daredevil123's guide on filters:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbi...e-filters.html

However in this photo I think it will be difficult for GND to work, as the trees in the foreground extend all the way to the top, so if GND is used the top of the trees will be darkened as well. Though can still PP but looks too tedious to me. My feel is that HDR or shooting the photo during the golden hours will be better in this situation.

just my 2 cents
    i also thinking of the square filters, but first read daredevil123 guide first before commit , i still on the learning stage will try every possible way , then post here , and learn from the expert ,like what u have suggest, golden hours is what i want to shoot all the time , but due to my work commitment , i work from 11am to 8pm 7 days a week, unless close shop earlier than can shoot at golden hour, i will try once a month. thank for your info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast