View Poll Results: How do you rate SBS buses in terms of ride comfort?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Good and well deserving of the fare rates

    2 4.76%
  • Fairly Good

    5 11.90%
  • Acceptable/no particular complains

    4 9.52%
  • Occasional miscomfort

    13 30.95%
  • Lousy

    2 4.76%
  • Totally cannot make it/what svc improvements is MOT talking abt?!

    12 28.57%
  • Don't take SBS buses

    4 9.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: SBS partial Aircon Buses

  1. #1

    Default SBS partial Aircon Buses

    How often have you taken SBS Aircon buses and got carsick bec of the non-existent aircon?! I;m rather fed up of their lousy service/vehicle maintenance standards especially after the fare hike.

  2. #2

    Default

    I take their aircon bus for long journey like those from toa payoh to tuas one, I confirm bussick. Their aircon got some funny smell esp the converted single deck aircon bus and the blue seat superbus. The blue seat superbus is the worst, most of them got a musky smell like those very old cupboards. Somemore leg room so small. Every time my dad ask me to go down to his office, I really

  3. #3

    Default

    i sat on a jerky bus 32 today. Stupid bus driver jerks every 10m to slow his speed and stops in the middle of the road before the traffic lights turn red. What a pain, took an unawfully long bus ride and could see the rest of the passengers are in motion sickness too!

  4. #4

    Default

    yah man, I feel there are many things lacking in the svc standards of SBS. Things like the aircon buses which are mostly non-aircon in reality, smelly buses, dirty buses with cockroaches... lousy driving habits like braking too hard, jerking of buses caused by stepping n releasin of accelerator... speeding (prevalent if you take buses after 11pm)...

  5. #5

    Default

    All i want to say, at the current standards/services standard....the new fare hikes are not justified.

    1. Air-con, its good tat nowadays most services are air conditioned, but the driver controls most of the "level of coolness" in their buses...its either too cold or too warm. Most of them like to play with the controls...full blast for 20 secs, then shut off for 5 mins....duh.

    2. Not all drivers are courteous, i agree sometimes a person have off days or being moody, but then....u r working...and it's a service job. Wat to do....

    3. The ez-link is not working WONDERFULLY as the papers claim its a success, testing passed. Only entry is accepted at the front, and exit at the back....what if the bus is packed full....u get up the front...but only can get off the front....and you need to scan ur card...at the back....elbow ur way through, making the bus driver wait for you, and many other commuters cursing under their breath coz u r wasting their time?

    4. Cockroaches, banning food stuff/drinks is not exactly the full solution. Maintainence has to be done, pay people to clean the buses, dun juz expect bus drivers to clean every inch of the bus, their job is to drive buses, not part time cleaners. In other words...stop saving costs when profits are evident every other year. These are neccessary costs.

    5. Waiting times....sometimes within 5 mins...3 buses of the same service comes together, or u wait like 20-30mins and ur bus takes like eternally to come...

    6. Bus drivers who mastered the "i didnt see you" look. (even when u r knocking on their closed doors or waving at the door)

    7. Driving at 20km/hr....when obviously road is DAMN empty...practise some common sense.

    Tat's all i can think of now....maybe some of my comments maybe unfair....but honestly all these are what comes from a normal typical sbs bus rider. (non-kudos to those who dun take public transport and proclaim our transport standards are among the top in the world...when your head gets too big...you tend to overlook stuff.)
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  6. #6

    Default

    (non-kudos to those who dun take public transport and proclaim our transport standards are among the top in the world...when your head gets too big...you tend to overlook stuff.)
    yah man... it takes the common pple who take public transportation everyday to truly experience what kind of standards we have. What's the point of having flashy gizmos like EZlink when the basic standards like cleanliness etc can't be met.
    Officials at the top rarely or never take public transport (save for a few here n there), and even if they do take formal tours conducted by SBS, anyone who knows what "wayanging" is can imagine how skewed their assessment will be.

  7. #7

    Default

    Originally posted by sbs99
    7. Driving at 20km/hr....when obviously road is DAMN empty...practise some common sense.

    wow !!! looks like I'm not the only one who noticed this...

    I have some theory about this, it might be connected to the TVmobile or the advertiestment pasted on the side of the bus.

    they need the bus to be on the road for a minimum amount of time... do they can tell their client things like

    "average passesngers sit on our bus for XX minutes"

    or

    "each bus will be on the road for a minimum for XX minutes"
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

  8. #8

    Default

    Originally posted by rueyloon



    wow !!! looks like I'm not the only one who noticed this...

    I have some theory about this, it might be connected to the TVmobile or the advertiestment pasted on the side of the bus.

    they need the bus to be on the road for a minimum amount of time... do they can tell their client things like

    "average passesngers sit on our bus for XX minutes"

    or

    "each bus will be on the road for a minimum for XX minutes"
    hmmm tot it could be the bus is ahead of schedule? heh there's this particular bus that goes to my place where the driver will stop at a bus stop to wash his bus for like 15 min b4 driving off again... this is one of the last few buses arnd 12 am plus... so he must have been speeding earlier on to gain so much time. Anyway it's a loop service so by right it shld still have to return to the interchange before it can b taken off service.

  9. #9

    Default

    still the "schedule" does not make sense and is **** for passengers...

    for example.... if the road is clear, WTF do I need to wait for some shitty schdule to reach home ?

    what good does it do for the passengers ?
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

  10. #10

    Default

    Originally posted by sbs99
    4. Cockroaches, banning food stuff/drinks is not exactly the full solution. Maintainence has to be done, pay people to clean the buses, dun juz expect bus drivers to clean every inch of the bus, their job is to drive buses, not part time cleaners. In other words...stop saving costs when profits are evident every other year. These are neccessary costs.

    For this problem, I think they have done more than enough by spraying insecticide on the buses. If you have notice, that musky smell I was toking about smell something like insecticide esp when that musky smell is too strong. Take a smell at TIBS buses, their bus seldom have cockroaches nor that musky smell. Sometime, I think that musky smell can really kill pple instead.

  11. #11

    Thumbs down

    I used to get car-sickness after long rides from AMK to Bedok when I was small. Always it's SBS bus.

  12. #12

    Default

    wow. i didn't know there are so many complaints about the bus system in Singapore. Just curious, any one tried the bus services in US? Waiting 20-30mins can be considered lucky. I am not saying that SBS is the best, but it's just that you got to compare with other ones and it's not fair just to criticize a system like that since there is no perfect system in this world.

  13. #13

    Default

    Well, i almost got thrown off the front glass off a quiet bus 508 before. One trip from orchard to tampines and about 15metres towards a traffic light near my stop, i stood up and wanted to tap my card when the bus driver suddenly jam his brakes towards the red light. I struggle to keep balance and stand still while i was push towards the front of the bus by the sheer pull force. i was about the bum on the front glass when the bus driver stood up and 'caught me' my camera bag which i was strapling on to already hit the glass.

    My life was flash beyond my eyes. I was in a state of shock as the female passengers on board.

    I swear i could have shoot the driver in my top form but i dismounted unbelievingly.

    yeah, the camera was safe. I had a bruise nuckle from hitting on many metal holding posts.

    Today i will never stand beofre the bus has come to a full stop. A similar suden brake accident happen just last week with my gf luckily she was on the seat which has another set facing her so she was cushion.

    I tell you, some of these drivers are reckless @$$.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    I don't understand why many Singaporeans are always complaining about the bus system here. I come from Holland, which also has quite a good system, but not as good as here! Overhere, I find it relatively cheap, and the numbers of buses are so high that you can get almost anywhere. The frequency of the lines are also high enough, so that in most cases you don't need to wait very long. Off course, Singaporeans are most of the time very impatient........ :-), so 10 minutes seems very long.
    The aircon is something the drivers can't do anyhting about, the AC just turns on when they start the engine, and there is no way to turn it off, whenever it is too cold (usually it is too cold when it is raining outside, AC is set to be cooler than outside temp). This happens to SBS as well as TIBS. In the older buses, the driver could turn it on/off themselves, but not anymore. The fans also works on a thermostate, so don't blame them if it suddenly blows into your head. I agree that some drivers are abit rude, or drive carelessly, but these drivers will be phased out whenever SBS receives complaints about them, so just write a letter to SBS. I was here in 1990 and remembered the drivers were driving much worse then (driving fast, braking hard and accelarating fast). It is much better now, so see it in a perspective.
    I find Singapore has one of the best, if not the best bus system in the world!

    Off course nothing is perfect, and there are things to be improved The MRT is also very nice but there is one thing: I grumble whenever I go the MRT stations, after they change the use of colour codes fro the lines, I always get confused which escelator to take to get to the tracks. I used to follow the colour to get somewhere, it was so easy (for Orchard take the yellow line from City Hall), now (lazy me) I have to read the station menu to see where to go. The old system was already so good, why did they ever change it? Their reason (excuse I call it) was that there were not enough colours to be used for the new lines they were building, now tell me, how many lines are they going to build that will finish all the available colours? There are so many colours, and moreover, they have reduced the information boards with all the stations the train will stop at. Instead they have put up more boards stating the last station of a particular line, this info is abit redundant. They have also reduced the station info inside thetrains from previously two to now one, instead they have put up more ads, making money is more important than public service here?

    Hong Sien

  15. #15

    Default

    Originally posted by hongsien
    I don't understand why many Singaporeans are always complaining about the bus system here. I come from Holland, which also has quite a good system, but not as good as here! Overhere, I find it relatively cheap, and the numbers of buses are so high that you can get almost anywhere. The frequency of the lines are also high enough, so that in most cases you don't need to wait very long. Off course, Singaporeans are most of the time very impatient........ :-), so 10 minutes seems very long.
    The aircon is something the drivers can't do anyhting about, the AC just turns on when they start the engine, and there is no way to turn it off, whenever it is too cold (usually it is too cold when it is raining outside, AC is set to be cooler than outside temp). This happens to SBS as well as TIBS. In the older buses, the driver could turn it on/off themselves, but not anymore. The fans also works on a thermostate, so don't blame them if it suddenly blows into your head.
    yah I agree in terms of freq of buses, ours is prob very good compared to other countries. Price is also cheaper by quite a lot.

    I din know the AC is auto on? What abt the fan speed? But the thermostat thing doesnt seem right bec when the bus is empty n it's easier to cool, these r the times when the aircon fans are mostly blasting away. Whereas when it's crowded, it's usually very quiet. Shldnt it be the other way round? I know its prob diff for AC unit to cool a bus when it's crowded, but SBS shld at least make sure tt the unit is powerful enuff to cool a fully loaded bus. otherwise its akin to installin a 1000cc engine to the bus and when the bus can't climb a hill with a bus full of pple blame it on the large number of passengers! Well I for me I don mind sitting in non-aircon buses at all... but sitting in an aircon bus tts hot n stuffy just irks me. But I think its prob bec of lousy maintenance tts y the AC units are underperforming, bec i noticed the new buses don have this problem.
    Bottom line is as long as it's called AC bus, they shld really ensure tt it's really airconditioned... that's the basic thing they gotta do. Otherwise SBS shld just rename them as "Partial Aircon Buses" can charge us less.

  16. #16

    Thumbs down

    Originally posted by chaotic
    wow. i didn't know there are so many complaints about the bus system in Singapore. Just curious, any one tried the bus services in US? Waiting 20-30mins can be considered lucky. I am not saying that SBS is the best, but it's just that you got to compare with other ones and it's not fair just to criticize a system like that since there is no perfect system in this world.
    Cos in the States, cars are CHEAP.
    They can be bought with just a few thousand US dollars.

    In Singapore, we count by the hundred thousand Sing dollars.

  17. #17

    Default

    My favourite type of bus is Double Deck non-Aircon ( Bus 74 ). Enjoy the feeling when the wind blow against my face. And the leg room is big enough for a 180cm-er like me.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,651

    Default

    Originally posted by revenant
    My favourite type of bus is Double Deck non-Aircon ( Bus 74 ). Enjoy the feeling when the wind blow against my face. And the leg room is big enough for a 180cm-er like me.
    Yup, somehow, I quite enjoy the non-aircon double decks like the Mercedes ones they used for 74. Engine sound is reasonably and relatively silent too.

    Got really sick the first time I went on those TIBS bendy bus (61), watching the articulation but subsequently became adapted to it.

  19. #19

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit


    Got really sick the first time I went on those TIBS bendy bus (61), watching the articulation but subsequently became adapted to it.
    Their bus's seat not very nice, quite hard. Leg room ain't good either. And some of their buses ( 106 ), the aircon switch until damn strong, strong and cold. Buai tahan sia....

  20. #20
    Senior Member icarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East
    Posts
    3,874

    Default

    Last night i waited for 45 mins for a shuttle bus at tampines!
    SBS = LC Transportation System ran by people who do not take buses




    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •