Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: How do you keep your lenses in the dry cabin?

  1. #1

    Default How do you keep your lenses in the dry cabin?

    Dear All,

    Just wondering how do you keep your lenses in a dry cabin? Straight up or lie down? If straight up, which part of the lens on top? Will these make any difference?

    1. Straight up, lens mount at bottom


    2. Straight up, lens filter at bottom


    3. Lie down


    Of course we'd put the front and rear caps on

    Searched on the internet but couldn't find any reference about this. Might get some inputs from here I guess.

    Thanks and Cheers!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    It doesn't really matter which way u put rite?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    3,136

    Default

    I put straight up with front element facing the ground, but then again it doesn't matter right?

  4. #4

    Default

    Its like "Do you eat ur mashed potatoes 1st b4 ur steak or do u eat ur steak 1st or do u eat them both together."
    Answer: they all end up in the same place anyway, in ur tummy.


    The purpose of the dry cabinet is to provide a dry environment for ur items, whether u suspend the lenses on a thread inside them or stack the lenses on top of each other is entirely up to u.

  5. #5

    Default

    Okay. I guess it's not an issue then Just wanna make sure of it though.

    Thanks and cheers!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    The key is to avoid scratches and maximise your spare. I think it's designed to put it standing up, unless you have a big lens then no choice to lay it flat. Personal preference is to put it with the lens cap on the rear elements. But i guess no harm putting opp direction with the lens cap on the front since you likely will have a UVfilter as well.

  7. #7

    Default

    For long lens like 400 f 2.8 and above must put it straight,coz the lens element is heavy and may cause the barrel to diform in a long time is let it led down.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    406

    Default

    For me it's straight up with lens mount at bottom for short lens, and lie down for long lens

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    Its like "Do you eat ur mashed potatoes 1st b4 ur steak or do u eat ur steak 1st or do u eat them both together."
    Answer: they all end up in the same place anyway, in ur tummy.
    Haha..nice quote from you!!!

  10. #10

    Default

    front element facing down...

    teles all lie down haha..

  11. #11

    Default

    front element face down. cos usually front element is bigger, thus a lower center of gravity, otherwise it'll just tip over.

  12. #12
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabahan
    For long lens like 400 f 2.8 and above must put it straight,coz the lens element is heavy and may cause the barrel to diform in a long time is let it led down.
    where to find a cabinet that can fit a 400 f/2.8 lying down? o_O
    Last edited by Clown; 24th January 2005 at 11:07 PM.
    sigh.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Redhill
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    Best to put the lens vertically, my logic being:
    1. Glass is supercooled liquid, it will continue to flow, and if you happen to keepyour lens in the cabinet for say 10 years, there may be noticeable distortions. Check out very old mirrors or those from IKEA after 2 years.
    2. Lubricating oil in the lens will also flow, sometime solidify. If flow, better to flow down the barrel than across the lens. If solidify, better to have regular stiffness all round than to have the oil lumped in a clump at the "bottom" of the resting lens.

    Of course, if you move your lens around very often, these are just 'bs'. But for cold storage, it may be significant.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    Best to put the lens vertically, my logic being:
    1. Glass is supercooled liquid, it will continue to flow, and if you happen to keepyour lens in the cabinet for say 10 years, there may be noticeable distortions. Check out very old mirrors or those from IKEA after 2 years.
    2. Lubricating oil in the lens will also flow, sometime solidify. If flow, better to flow down the barrel than across the lens. If solidify, better to have regular stiffness all round than to have the oil lumped in a clump at the "bottom" of the resting lens.

    Of course, if you move your lens around very often, these are just 'bs'. But for cold storage, it may be significant.
    logical.... gee, you help me remind myself of materials science topics..

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Catchment Area
    Posts
    2,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    Best to put the lens vertically, my logic being:
    1. Glass is supercooled liquid, it will continue to flow, and if you happen to keepyour lens in the cabinet for say 10 years, there may be noticeable distortions. Check out very old mirrors or those from IKEA after 2 years.
    2. Lubricating oil in the lens will also flow, sometime solidify. If flow, better to flow down the barrel than across the lens. If solidify, better to have regular stiffness all round than to have the oil lumped in a clump at the "bottom" of the resting lens.

    Of course, if you move your lens around very often, these are just 'bs'. But for cold storage, it may be significant.
    It is likely that this kind of effect is in terms of a log scale for the time axis, like 10, 100, 1000 years. So, dun worry so much about it la. At our local room temperature of say 24 to 28 deg, there is nothing to worry. If you leave the lens in the car for long period, I think the rubber grip, the lubricant would go first before the lens starts to deform to affect the performance.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    where to find a cabinet that can fit a 400 f/2.8 lying down? o_O
    A normal size one will do actually. Without the front hood, the lens isn't really that long. i actually did the measurements once when i was contemplating the lens.

    i keep all my lenses pointed down, except one telephoto lying flat.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default

    I keep them straight up, lens mount at bottom. For teles, lie down of course. The reason why I do this is because when I buy Canon lenses, I noticed that's how they position them from within the box, in the vertical position.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    I keep them straight up, lens mount at bottom. For teles, lie down of course. The reason why I do this is because when I buy Canon lenses, I noticed that's how they position them from within the box, in the vertical position.
    my minolta lens come in its vertical position... so i normally just keep it that way..

    btw do you guys cap the lens b4 u put in or u guys uncap?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    my minolta lens come in its vertical position... so i normally just keep it that way..

    btw do you guys cap the lens b4 u put in or u guys uncap?
    Caps on of course! You mean you don't?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    Caps on of course! You mean you don't?
    i thought u guys wanna 'air' the lens mah... but i leave the cap on... cos afraid of dust...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •