Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep your lenses in the dry cabin?

Default How do you keep your lenses in the dry cabin?

Dear All,

Just wondering how do you keep your lenses in a dry cabin? Straight up or lie down? If straight up, which part of the lens on top? Will these make any difference?

1. Straight up, lens mount at bottom

2. Straight up, lens filter at bottom

3. Lie down

Of course we'd put the front and rear caps on

Searched on the internet but couldn't find any reference about this. Might get some inputs from here I guess.

Thanks and Cheers!

It doesn't really matter which way u put rite?

I put straight up with front element facing the ground, but then again it doesn't matter right?

Its like "Do you eat ur mashed potatoes 1st b4 ur steak or do u eat ur steak 1st or do u eat them both together."
    Answer: they all end up in the same place anyway, in ur tummy.

The purpose of the dry cabinet is to provide a dry environment for ur items, whether u suspend the lenses on a thread inside them or stack the lenses on top of each other is entirely up to u.

Okay. I guess it's not an issue then Just wanna make sure of it though.

Thanks and cheers!

The key is to avoid scratches and maximise your spare. I think it's designed to put it standing up, unless you have a big lens then no choice to lay it flat. Personal preference is to put it with the lens cap on the rear elements. But i guess no harm putting opp direction with the lens cap on the front since you likely will have a UVfilter as well.

For long lens like 400 f 2.8 and above must put it straight,coz the lens element is heavy and may cause the barrel to diform in a long time is let it led down.

For me it's straight up with lens mount at bottom for short lens, and lie down for long lens

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    Its like "Do you eat ur mashed potatoes 1st b4 ur steak or do u eat ur steak 1st or do u eat them both together."
    Answer: they all end up in the same place anyway, in ur tummy.
    Haha..nice quote from you!!!

front element facing down...

teles all lie down haha..

front element face down. cos usually front element is bigger, thus a lower center of gravity, otherwise it'll just tip over.

Quote Originally Posted by sabahan
    For long lens like 400 f 2.8 and above must put it straight,coz the lens element is heavy and may cause the barrel to diform in a long time is let it led down.
    where to find a cabinet that can fit a 400 f/2.8 lying down? o_O
    Last edited by Clown; 24th January 2005 at 11:07 PM.
    sigh.

Best to put the lens vertically, my logic being:
    1. Glass is supercooled liquid, it will continue to flow, and if you happen to keepyour lens in the cabinet for say 10 years, there may be noticeable distortions. Check out very old mirrors or those from IKEA after 2 years.
    2. Lubricating oil in the lens will also flow, sometime solidify. If flow, better to flow down the barrel than across the lens. If solidify, better to have regular stiffness all round than to have the oil lumped in a clump at the "bottom" of the resting lens.

Of course, if you move your lens around very often, these are just 'bs'. But for cold storage, it may be significant.

Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    1. Glass is supercooled liquid, it will continue to flow, and if you happen to keepyour lens in the cabinet for say 10 years, there may be noticeable distortions. Check out very old mirrors or those from IKEA after 2 years.
    2. Lubricating oil in the lens will also flow, sometime solidify. If flow, better to flow down the barrel than across the lens. If solidify, better to have regular stiffness all round than to have the oil lumped in a clump at the "bottom" of the resting lens.

Of course, if you move your lens around very often, these are just 'bs'. But for cold storage, it may be significant.
    logical.... gee, you help me remind myself of materials science topics..

Quote Originally Posted by yowch

It is likely that this kind of effect is in terms of a log scale for the time axis, like 10, 100, 1000 years. So, dun worry so much about it la. At our local room temperature of say 24 to 28 deg, there is nothing to worry. If you leave the lens in the car for long period, I think the rubber grip, the lubricant would go first before the lens starts to deform to affect the performance.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    where to find a cabinet that can fit a 400 f/2.8 lying down? o_O
    A normal size one will do actually. Without the front hood, the lens isn't really that long. i actually did the measurements once when i was contemplating the lens.

i keep all my lenses pointed down, except one telephoto lying flat.

I keep them straight up, lens mount at bottom. For teles, lie down of course. The reason why I do this is because when I buy Canon lenses, I noticed that's how they position them from within the box, in the vertical position.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    I keep them straight up, lens mount at bottom. For teles, lie down of course. The reason why I do this is because when I buy Canon lenses, I noticed that's how they position them from within the box, in the vertical position.
    my minolta lens come in its vertical position... so i normally just keep it that way..

btw do you guys cap the lens b4 u put in or u guys uncap?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    my minolta lens come in its vertical position... so i normally just keep it that way..

btw do you guys cap the lens b4 u put in or u guys uncap?
    Caps on of course! You mean you don't?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    Caps on of course! You mean you don't?
    i thought u guys wanna 'air' the lens mah... but i leave the cap on... cos afraid of dust...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast