Thread: Which lens to get???

Joshua T
    Guests

Default Which lens to get???

Man, i'm quite confuse at what lens to get for my Nikon FG. i'm interested in buying the AF28-105mm 2nd hand, but i dunno if its really worth the money.

can u guys tell me what good zoom lenses are there?
    abt 24-120mm, preferable f/2.5. And i dun mind second hand ones in gd condition. My budget, max is $400.

Pls HELP! hee hee! thanks.

Default Re: Which lens to get???

Originally posted by Joshua T
    Man, i'm quite confuse at what lens to get for my Nikon FG. i'm interested in buying the AF28-105mm 2nd hand, but i dunno if its really worth the money.

can u guys tell me what good zoom lenses are there?
    abt 24-120mm, preferable f/2.5. And i dun mind second hand ones in gd condition. My budget, max is $400.

Pls HELP! hee hee! thanks.
    I don't think there's any zoom faster than f/2.8, let alone f/2.5, and you're talking about 24-120 here. The only one I know is the Nikkor AF 24-120mm f/4-5.6, and it's not a very good lens.

Regards
    CK

Joshua T
    Guests

then what good and versatile zoom lens would u recommend?

then what good and versatile zoom lens would u recommend?
    Tamron 24-135 SP len, but it is around $600++ price range.
    I can say that it is a very good len and I always bring it along while doing photography.

Default Re: Re: Which lens to get???

Originally posted by ckiang

The only one I know is the Nikkor AF 24-120mm f/4-5.6, and it's not a very good lens.

Regards
    CK
    yah, it's just that the name is nice.

I have done a test on 3 Nikon lenses (35-70mm f2.8AFD, 50mm f1.8AF and 28-105mm f3.5AFD) and all fixed at the same focal length: 50mm, taking the same picture of a brick wall.

At the end of the test and to be fair to all 3 lenses tested, I asked a friend to comment on the slides. Surprisingly, but quite rightly, my friend chose the best of the slides taken by the 28-105mm lens.

A review done by other photographers on the 28-105mm lens is also highly rated. Since then, I have come to term that non-prime or variable-aperture lens like the 28-105mm can also be a winner.

The focal range of this lens is without doubt a blessing to all photographers. This lens also has a useful macro mode, capable of half life-size reproduction. Thumbs up!

Originally posted by jasphotography
    I have done a test on 3 Nikon lenses (35-70mm f2.8AFD, 50mm f1.8AF and 28-105mm f3.5AFD) and all fixed at the same focal length: 50mm, taking the same picture of a brick wall.

At the end of the test and to be fair to all 3 lenses tested, I asked a friend to comment on the slides. Surprisingly, but quite rightly, my friend chose the best of the slides taken by the 28-105mm lens.

A review done by other photographers on the 28-105mm lens is also highly rated. Since then, I have come to term that non-prime or variable-aperture lens like the 28-105mm can also be a winner.

The focal range of this lens is without doubt a blessing to all photographers. This lens also has a useful macro mode, capable of half life-size reproduction. Thumbs up!

The 28-105 is indeed a great lens, BUT its relatively slow aperture of f/3.5-4.5 severely limits available light shooting. Like most zoom lenses, it's also soft wide open and at full wide angle. Things improve tremendously at f/5.6 onwards.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang

The 28-105 is indeed a great lens, BUT its relatively slow aperture of f/3.5-4.5 severely limits available light shooting. Like most zoom lenses, it's also soft wide open and at full wide angle. Things improve tremendously at f/5.6 onwards.

Regards
    CK
    I agree... that's why I still keep the Nikon AFD 35-70mm f2.8 lens over the 28-105. The bigger aperture (small f value) of the 35-70 also mean you get a BRIGHTER image through the viewfinder of the camera, and hence allow quicker and precise manual focusing.

But still... I miss the 28-105mm lens terribly especially when I need the extra focal length at both ends (wide angle and telephoto).

Nevertheless, I think the relatively slow aperture (f3.5-4.5) of the 28-105mm lens should be able to cope with Singapore's bright & sunny all year round weather . Not an advisable lens for Europe weather though.

Joshua T
    Guests

Actually, comparing Nikkors and Cannon lenses, which is cheaper and better?

Actually, comparing Nikkors and Cannon lenses, which is cheaper and better?
    For lenses in the same range, they are equally good.

Regards
    CK