Thread: 2 noob questions on cleaning and new lens

Default 2 noob questions on cleaning and new lens

1. just went to sentosa to shoot some event with my noob skills on a nikon d3100.
    now of course the wind has deposited some sand by the side of my lens and uv filter. how do i go about cleaning it?
    it's a new camera so i don't want to anyhow use wet tissue to wipe it. but i wish to do clean it myself.
    but a side question: where can i find cleaning service if i would like to?

2. why new lens don't need dry box?
    (those new lens are packed in those golden cardboard boxes and are not placed in a dry box with low humidity?)

Default Re: 2 noob questions on cleaning and new lens

1. Use a blower to blow away sand particles first

2. most of the time, the new lenses in the shops are in a air-conditioned environment where humidity is low

Quote Originally Posted by radiancez567 View Post
    1. just went to sentosa to shoot some event with my noob skills on a nikon d3100.
    now of course the wind has deposited some sand by the side of my lens and uv filter. how do i go about cleaning it?
    it's a new camera so i don't want to anyhow use wet tissue to wipe it. but i wish to do clean it myself.
    but a side question: where can i find cleaning service if i would like to?

2. why new lens don't need dry box?
    (those new lens are packed in those golden cardboard boxes and are not placed in a dry box with low humidity?)
    use a rocket blower..to blow off the sand. If you have a brush..you can use it as well (but becareful..)
    So serious till need cleaning service? IMO.. thats abit too much..no need for that. unless you buried your camera and lens in the sand?

With A/C the humidity are lower...and they are brand new so..can last longer.. (but dont take it for granted...whenever we buy ..we should check as well just in case..)

Use a blower, but better stop cleaning your front elements as soon as you spot a tiny particle. It's pointless, it will never affect your images. But excessive kiasu cleaning will cause damage sooner or later ..
    EOS