Hi, I'm getting my first ND filter(s). I'm thinking of getting the B+W 77mm 4-stop and 10-stop filters. My question is: is this is a good starting point for moving into filters (at least in your experience)?
Also considered getting filter holders, but am thinking maybe not this time round. So, planning to use 77mm thread + step-up rings (as my largest lens is 77mm. Hopefully I won't be buying 82mm anytime soon, anyways the filters mentioned aren't available in 82mm thread--on the Amazon store at least).
What I'm using the filters for:
1. taking photos wide open at f/1.4 in daylight (with a Sigma 30/1.4).
2. taking scenes where there's a lot of people and a long exposure (e.g. 60 sec) would remove them.
3. taking the sea (beach), waterfalls.
4. taking the sun (eclipse, sunsets, etc.) - heard you need about 13 stops, so I'm thinking of stacking the two.
1. I'm aware of the likely color cast of the 10-stop as mentioned in this link, but I think I can live with it (I'll shoot raw).
2. Reason for getting a 4-stop as it seems like taking the sea needs about 16x (link)
3. am buying from Amazon, so B+W is a little bit more affordable: ND110 is $125. ND1.8-64x is $102.