Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still object/product photos: how to..?

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    wow......regardless of wat the photo is like...the system is super cool la hhaa...
    when comes to hifi, me and my brother are the "old dog" in the hobby.. when comes to photography, its all the total reverse. hehe..

Well, all that needs to say had been said. To sum up:

Let's skip the upgrade part, modern compacts can give amazing pictures.

A simple glance at the picture 2 major problems screams out:
    - Colour cast
    - Perspective.

You are shooting taller than your setup, With systems like these, and at full frontal, try to shoot lower so that the horizontal lines and vertical lines don't converge. Shooting lower will mean you wouldn't need to do the perspective adjustment which imaginery_number did, or perhaps less.

- Colour cast, this you'll have to fool around with your camera's white balance settings or adjust using your computer. After switching from shooting negatives on a slr or compact camera to digital, you'll need to do what was usually done by the photolab yourself. When you shoot negatives, there are also colour cast, but labs will do adjustments before printing, thus you may not notice, and since no one's gonna help you do the colour adjustment, you'll have to do it yourself.

And some other points:
    - Noise!!! Use the lowest iso settings possible and a tripod. Set timer so that you won't shake the setup when hitting the shutter, thus avoiding camera shakes.

- Composition: Think of what you want, If you just wanna show the system, lose the sofa and other distacting elements. You may wanna explore some other angles and composition, like shooting wider to include some of your room to show how the system looks in a room (like the product shot you show) etc etc...

Oh yeah, skip the built in flash for shots like these, it's likely to give you hot spots, reflections etc.

for WB u could use your screen as the custom WB. i believe your screen should be slightly grey, good to set WB. or u can adjust in ps till it is slighly grey and the screen border is black

btw, is that a Rogers? just wondering why your stereo is slightly behind your HT

Guess will go invest in a tripod asap... thks guys, will try out the method and post results later on.

Quote Originally Posted by quekky
    btw, is that a Rogers? just wondering why your stereo is slightly behind your HT
    The bigger speakers are JBL northbridge series.. the black, smaller ones are some china made tubed speakers...

not sure what u mean the stereo is behind the HT...

EDIT: BTW, is it better for me to snapped with all the curtain close, and use the lights only (which is v. bright, as seen in the photo posted here).. OR open up everything with all lights on, and snapped it that way?
    Last edited by TsQ; 23rd January 2005 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TsQ
    EDIT: BTW, is it better for me to snapped with all the curtain close, and use the lights only (which is v. bright, as seen in the photo posted here).. OR open up everything with all lights on, and snapped it that way?
    Depends on the effect that you want to create. You can experiment with both and see which you would prefer.

Deregistered

The key is lightings and setup. U should take a course on basic studio lightings or get more lights into the area. Avoid wide angle lens setting.

When I said lightings , not dinky 100w spot lights but at least 500w flood lights. The more lights you give the sharper the image.

Hope that helps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12