Thread: 14 Days in UK

Default 14 Days in UK

Hi, I will be going to UK alone (Backpacking with 2 Bags) for 14 days and will be traveling to the following places,

Date: 26 Aug - 8 Sept 2012
    1) Bath
    2) Liverpool
    3) Lake District (Mountain Biking)
    4) Edinburgh
    5) York
    6) Paris
    7) London

- I would like ask whether is there any advice that can be given by people who have went to these places? (i.e. Shopping, B&B, Hostel, Attractions, Transportation)
    - Is the camera equipment expensive there compared to Singapore, I am thinking of buying stuff there if cheap.
    - Anything else important to take note of..

I will be bringing a 5D mark 2 + Sigma 50mm f1.4 and a Fujifilm x10 with me for my adventure.

Thanks. =)

Default Re: 14 Days in UK

camera equipment generally will be more expensive even if you reclaim VAT.

This may or may not apply to you but it rains relatively often. You may want to consider an umbrella or at least a waterproof jacket. Especially at lake district.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicAngelz View Post
    This may or may not apply to you but it rains relatively often. You may want to consider an umbrella or at least a waterproof jacket. Especially at lake district.
    Don't forget London..
    There's nothing much to see in York, maybe you can just pass it by on the way to Edinburgh or Lake District.
    I stayed at The Town House in Edinburgh. A lovely Victorian house, and the owner is very friendly

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    Don't forget London..
    There's nothing much to see in York, maybe you can just pass it by on the way to Edinburgh or Lake District.
    I stayed at The Town House in Edinburgh. A lovely Victorian house, and the owner is very friendly
    At least in London if its raining can always go have tea and wait it out (15-20min?), whereas Lake District all outdoors

BTW if ur a student bring a student ID along for discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicAngelz View Post
    BTW if ur a student bring a student ID along for discounts.
    Even if you're not a student, if you're under 26 most of the discounts still apply to you. Also, if you plan to get the 16-25 railcard, bring along a passport sized photo or you won't be able to get it.

England always has "weather" but during summer times it has sudden downpours. Not fun to get caught in.

No, any and every camera item and accessory is more expensive in the UK.

My main concern is that you've got 14 days to travel to 7 places. Bath and Liverpool are already 4 hours apart by train. Liverpool to Lake District another 1.5-2 hours and to get to a good location you'll need at least another 2-3 hours therein. Edinburgh another 3 hours minimum from Liverpool/ Lake District. York is 2+ hrs away from Edinburgh then to Paris and back to London? I hope you have the stamina for such constant travelling, and the deep pockets (as I assume you are travelling by train and not car since you're backpacking). Train tickets in England are far from cheap. Expect to spend close to 400 quid on train tickets.

In Liverpool, see the 3 Livers, the Cathedrals, Beatles Museum and docks.

York, there's York Minster, the Shambles and the Roman Wall. There's also Betty's, worth a visit to get some tea and jams as gifts (only brand that's better in England is Fortnum and Mason in London)

Edinburgh there's Royal Holloway, Edinburgh Castle, the old city etc.

London... wow... if it's your first time and you're spending only 1-3 days there..... good luck... there's far too many things to see in the main area let alone the outliers, like Hampton Court, Wimbledon or Windsor...
    Last edited by neubdetat; 13th July 2012 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neubdetat View Post
    No, any and every camera item and accessory is more expensive in the UK.
    This is not always true. Eg NEX5n at Jessops is cheaper than Singapore after conversion.

Love it! If you visit wimbledon xduring olypic its better.

Hi guys! Thanks for all the replies. After reading and reconsidering. I've prioritise on what I want to accomplish and see during this trip. The trip will be as follows accurate to today as it is.

London to York(reach York at 9pm)
    York stay over for 2 nights
    Leave York to Edinburgh
    Edinburgh stay over for 1 night
    Edinburgh to lake district
    Lake district stay over for 2 nights
    Lake district to Liverpool
    Liverpool for 2 nights
    Liverpool to bath
    Bath for 2 nights
    Bath to London
    London for 3 nights
    Total:14days

Purpose: watch soccer, off road trail cycling, historic sightseeing, modern city sightseeing.

I hope the cities I've covered has met what I want. Pls do add in some opinions so that I can rethink. btw anyone knows where in London to get branded stuff like Burberry, g star, Fred Perry for cheap?

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by ShiNn View Post
    Hi guys! Thanks for all the replies. After reading and reconsidering. I've prioritise on what I want to accomplish and see during this trip. The trip will be as follows accurate to today as it is.

London to York(reach York at 9pm)
    York stay over for 2 nights
    Leave York to Edinburgh
    Edinburgh stay over for 1 night
    Edinburgh to lake district
    Lake district stay over for 2 nights
    Lake district to Liverpool
    Liverpool for 2 nights
    Liverpool to bath
    Bath for 2 nights
    Bath to London
    London for 3 nights
    Total:14days

Purpose: watch soccer, off road trail cycling, historic sightseeing, modern city sightseeing.

I hope the cities I've covered has met what I want. Pls do add in some opinions so that I can rethink. btw anyone knows where in London to get branded stuff like Burberry, g star, Fred Perry for cheap?

Thanks a lot!
    Take the bus down to Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet Chester | Up to 60% off Designer Labels if you want cheap designer stuff. And I do mean CHEAP.

Honestly speaking, there is no need to stay two nights in York. You can perhaps stay one night in Newcastle en route to Edinburgh.
    There are a couple of iconic things to view there such as the Millennium Bridge, The Sage etc.

As for those branded stuff, check out Bicester Village. Easily accessible from Central London.

I agree with DemonicAngelz Cheshire Oaks is quite close to Liverpool so you could always do a detour there. Bicester Village is near London and offers a slightly higher range of brands but by and large if you're only looking for Fred Perry or G-Star then Cheshire Oaks is cheaper.

There is also a Burberry outlet within London itself. It's at Hackney in East London but my friends who have been there say that Cheshire Oaks/Bicester Village are either similiar or offer better choices/prices.