Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Military Discussion : Numbers of Major Wars in the 20th Century

  1. #1
    Senior Member King Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the heart of SengKang
    Posts
    5,882

    Default Military Discussion : Numbers of Major Wars in the 20th Century

    01. 1905 - Russo-Japanese War
    02. 1912 - 1913 Two Balkan Wars
    03. 1914 - 1918 World War I
    04. 1917 - 1918 Russian Revolution
    05. 1918 - Finnish Civil War
    06. 1918 - 1922 Russian Civil War
    07. 1919 - Third Anglo-Afghan War
    08. 1936 - 1939 Spanish Civil War
    09. 1937 - 1945 Second Sino-Japanese War
    10. 1939 - 1945 World War II < - - Amend
    11. 1945 - 1949 Chinese Civil War
    12. 1946 - 1954 First Indochina War
    13. 1947 - 1949 First Kashmir War
    14. 1948 - 1949 First Arab-Israeli War
    15. 1950 - 1953 Korean War
    16. 1956 - Suez Crisis
    17. 1962 - 1963 Sino-Indian War
    18. 1964 - 1973 Vietnam War
    19. 1965 - Second Kashmir War
    20. 1967 - Six-Day War
    21. 1971 - Bangladesh War of Independence
    22. 1973 - Yom Kippur War
    23. 1974 - 1991 Ethiopian Civil War
    24. 1975 - 1991 Lebanese Civil War
    25. 1979 - 1989 Soviet-Afghan War
    26. 1980 - 1988 Iran-Iraq War
    27. 1982 - Falklands War
    28. 1989 - 1990 Operation Just Cause, United States invades Panama
    29. 1991 - First Gulf War
    30. 1991 - Slovene War of Independence
    31. 1991 - 1995 Croatian War of Independence
    32. 1992 - 1995 Bosnian Civil War
    33. 1994 - 1996 First Chechen War
    34. 1998 - 1999 Kosovo War
    35. 1999 - Second Chechen War

    20th Century is a century of war, with WWI and WWII causing the most number of losses in human lives.
    Above stated are the major conflicts fought, excluding civil wars from African nations and short term wars.

    The chains human revolution which cause a war for revenge, for the desire of more land, for the difference of idealogy, for the difference of races and ironically, to start a war for pride.

    Will there be peace in 21st century?
    Last edited by King Tiger; 22nd January 2005 at 01:18 AM.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Don't think you can really break it down into micro-conflicts as you have. More sensible to look from the perspective of the underlying tensions and geo-politics that spawned each set of conflict.

    E.g. 30, 31, 32 and 34 can be put down to the disintegration of Yugoslavia, 13, 17, 19, 21 on the post-India/Pakistan/Bangladesh independence/breakup and surrounding sectarian/religious tensions, 14, 16, 20, 22 down to the establishment of Israel on the former Palestine and the post 2nd world war exit of the colonial powers from the middle east.

    I personally don't think that the 20th century had any greater propensity to strife than preceding eras, just that the ability to prosecute a conflict had become much more efficient and deadly.

    I don't think the 21st century will be much different, although I don't believe there is much likelihood of a major conflict like WW2 ever occurring again.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tiger
    Will there be peace in 21st century?
    Maybe wait another 4 years for a new US president to give the world a chance of peace.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Maybe wait another 4 years for a new US president to give the world a chance of peace.
    Spot on Astin

  5. #5

    Default

    what is your take on the most recent war on afganistan and iraq?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    I don't think the 21st century will be much different, although I don't believe there is much likelihood of a major conflict like WW2 ever occurring again.
    You think that... Well... One thing I learnt... Humans never did learn from history... It will happen... Trust me.... it will... The only question is the timing - Early or late in the 21st century....

  7. #7
    Senior Member King Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the heart of SengKang
    Posts
    5,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by user111
    what is your take on the most recent war on afganistan and iraq?
    Both happen in 2002 and 2003.
    That's is under 21st Century.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

  8. #8

    Default

    "I dont know what the World War 3 will be fought with but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". Einstein

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tiger
    10. 1939 - 1941 World War II
    since when WW2 ended in 1941?

  10. #10
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Human beings are always at war with each other ever since the word 'private property' come about. There will never be peace.

    US will never give the world peace cos they use the most natural recources in the world and will want cheap stuff/keep some for themselves. They also need to establish themselves as the world's leading military power.

    And, technically, the Korean war has not yet ended. The DMZ still exists!

  11. #11
    Senior Member King Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the heart of SengKang
    Posts
    5,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mervlam
    since when WW2 ended in 1941?
    My bad , typo error.
    paisei paisei.

    Will amend the first posting from 1939 to 1945.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpc
    You think that... Well... One thing I learnt... Humans never did learn from history... It will happen... Trust me.... it will... The only question is the timing - Early or late in the 21st century....
    In a sense that a prolonged conflict will not occur. Too many countries have their finger on a nuclear trigger, they will press that or back off before suffering that many casualties on the battleground.

    Cheers,

  13. #13
    Senior Member King Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the heart of SengKang
    Posts
    5,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    And, technically, the Korean war has not yet ended. The DMZ still exists!
    Agree.
    DMZ is the most heavily guard/patrol military fortication in the world.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

  14. #14
    Senior Member King Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the heart of SengKang
    Posts
    5,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    In a sense that a prolonged conflict will not occur. Too many countries have their finger on a nuclear trigger, they will press that or back off before suffering that many casualties on the battleground.
    Cheers,
    Nuclear weapons can cause massive destructive.
    Ironically, it is a weapon to maintain peace, avoid total confrontation and the balance on tensions between nations.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Human beings are always at war with each other ever since the word 'private property' come about. There will never be peace.

    US will never give the world peace cos they use the most natural recources in the world and will want cheap stuff/keep some for themselves. They also need to establish themselves as the world's leading military power.

    And, technically, the Korean war has not yet ended. The DMZ still exists!
    flipping the chronicles of the human history is like flipping thru a novel of war...

    see every great story always have war in mind... hence human exist because of war & die because of it...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  16. #16

    Default

    i think the roots of all evil r race & relig0n... seems like most of the wars started because of either one reason....

  17. #17
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reno77
    "I dont know what the World War 3 will be fought with but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". Einstein
    frm a book that i read, World War 3 is termed as the period of Cold war between America and Russia, with Russia's invasion of the Middle east.

    World War 4 is actually termed as the War against Global Terrorism.

    however that is what that particular author feels actualli...

  18. #18
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kegler
    i think the roots of all evil r race & relig0n... seems like most of the wars started because of either one reason....
    war do not start from race or religion. war starts when there is a clash of ideologies, policies, and of course when people are suspicious of the other, and wishes to take action forcibly, a invasion/ occupation might be imminent.

    however we cannot blame a war is caused by a particular religion because no religion in the world teaches their believers bad things. therefore i can conclude that the term "WAR" is being used when a particular country had a clash of interest(s) between a country, or because of the difference in their ideologies which has caused the conflict.

    Politics is the cause to the rise and fall of the a great empire. Not a race, nor a religion will bring down a great empire. the greatness of ones race and religion can be traced back into the ancient times where it is the so called the Prime time of Religion, and Traditional Culture.

    and through Education and westernisation, we see oursevels drawing away from our ancient roots.. therefore if theres something definate we can blame for the cause of wars, that will be Politics.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    "Weapons do not kill. Humans kill humans."

  20. #20
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    flipping the chronicles of the human history is like flipping thru a novel of war...

    see every great story always have war in mind... hence human exist because of war & die because of it...
    Its mother nature's way of keeping the human population in check ya? If not, earth will be unhealthy due to over population.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •