Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: FZ20 or D70? help!!

  1. #1

    Default FZ20 or D70? help!!

    i'm quite a newbie in this. before this, i was using a fuji F601z digicam and it's pretty decent. can play around with AP and EXP.

    in fact, i'm contemplating whether should i get a DSLR or Nikon D70 because, i don't use professional cam as a living or something and, is only taking for fun.

    i think FZ20 is a good cam to play around with filters and ext. flash? i dunno.

    if let say i were to buy FZ20, which filter should i get? and filter is to protect your lens right?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Singapore/Thailand
    Posts
    4,642

    Default

    usually people buy a uv guard (filter) to protect the lens and other effects are PS'd... some guys still use filters but most effects are done with photoshop. I've used the FZ20 before... owned it before and it's a really good camera if you aren't really into photography and into getting heaps of lenses to cover the range that the FZ20 already covers! Not to mention the F/2.8 constant that the FZ20 has to offer!

    You can do flash photography with the FZ20 too... the Suntax 328DTZ flash will work on it and it's only $50. It comes down to budget and what you really want, really. cheers
    Budget wedding photographer :)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,780
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    With the fz20, it's everything packaged into one camera, whereas for DSLR you have the option of building your own 'camera system'. To do that, you will have to do your research on getting the correct lenses and add-ons for to go with your dslr or you may end up with many 'white elephants'.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    East
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qert
    i'm quite a newbie in this. before this, i was using a fuji F601z digicam and it's pretty decent. can play around with AP and EXP.

    in fact, i'm contemplating whether should i get a DSLR or Nikon D70 because, i don't use professional cam as a living or something and, is only taking for fun.

    i think FZ20 is a good cam to play around with filters and ext. flash? i dunno.

    if let say i were to buy FZ20, which filter should i get? and filter is to protect your lens right?
    You must be spacemonkey from hardwarezone, am i right?

  5. #5
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    whaliew qert.. haben decide what cam to get ah? hehe.. Get FZ20 first to learn everything first then you move on. Unless you wan to mess ard with len then u go for D70.
    Sharpness wise for the image, Lumix own it. You take ur pick.

    If not, just meet up with some photographers that own FZ20 or D70. Try it and see whats your liking. I own FZ20 whereas Vortex own D70. Hehehe


  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    In this small world
    Posts
    3,142

    Default

    If you are not goign to need that range you can always shop for a shorter range and cheaper camera. But of coruse the price you going to pay for the FZ20 is worth it given the 36-432/2.8 range you get, sometimes even a DSLR will not get. End of the day it is price and needs that decide. If you think you got the $$$ then both should not be the problem. If you are not going to spend the $$$ then I must say FZ20 is great for its range. Limiting factor is the 36mm on the wide side. Depending on your needs the 36-432 is very wide range and if the wide-needs arise, spend some money to get a wide convertor to below 30mm. I have a FX2 and its optics is WOOoooo from my sister who has the S50

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qert
    i'm quite a newbie in this. before this, i was using a fuji F601z digicam and it's pretty decent. can play around with AP and EXP.

    in fact, i'm contemplating whether should i get a DSLR or Nikon D70 because, i don't use professional cam as a living or something and, is only taking for fun.

    i think FZ20 is a good cam to play around with filters and ext. flash? i dunno.

    if let say i were to buy FZ20, which filter should i get? and filter is to protect your lens right?
    Its a different ball game altoghether between these 2 cameras. If u go for D70, be prepared to spend heaps thereafter on lenses and accessories. For the FZ20, its an all in one package good enough for general usage. It all depends on what u want to do with your camera, how often, and how deep is your passion that justifies your investment.

  8. #8

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    If you are not goign to need that range you can always shop for a shorter range and cheaper camera. But of coruse the price you going to pay for the FZ20 is worth it given the 36-432/2.8 range you get, sometimes even a DSLR will not get. End of the day it is price and needs that decide. If you think you got the $$$ then both should not be the problem. If you are not going to spend the $$$ then I must say FZ20 is great for its range. Limiting factor is the 36mm on the wide side. Depending on your needs the 36-432 is very wide range and if the wide-needs arise, spend some money to get a wide convertor to below 30mm. I have a FX2 and its optics is WOOoooo from my sister who has the S50
    i truly agree with ITguy...

    this cam really worth the money..

    try in... i am a newbie too... i play ard with sony DSC b4 going into FZ-20..

    still a "stone-bird".. trying to understand..

    good luck...
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,780
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    If you are not goign to need that range you can always shop for a shorter range and cheaper camera. But of coruse the price you going to pay for the FZ20 is worth it given the 36-432/2.8 range you get, sometimes even a DSLR will not get. End of the day it is price and needs that decide. If you think you got the $$$ then both should not be the problem. If you are not going to spend the $$$ then I must say FZ20 is great for its range. Limiting factor is the 36mm on the wide side. Depending on your needs the 36-432 is very wide range and if the wide-needs arise, spend some money to get a wide convertor to below 30mm. I have a FX2 and its optics is WOOoooo from my sister who has the S50
    Not a problem actually for the FZ20 'cos you can always get a 0.5X Wcon or a 2X telecon to go with the camera. You will then get a range of 18mm to 850mm for the FZ20.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenten
    Not a problem actually for the FZ20 'cos you can always get a 0.5X Wcon or a 2X telecon to go with the camera. You will then get a range of 18mm to 850mm for the FZ20.
    Zenten, now that u have moved over to the dark side.
    care to share your experience of using D70 vs FZ20 ?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Singapore/Thailand
    Posts
    4,642

    Default

    i miss my FZ20 sometimes; especially when i have to blow my camera insides after each shoot :S
    Budget wedding photographer :)

  12. #12

    Default

    thanks for the feedback guys!! i really appreciate it.

    i love photography! had been using fuji 601z for 2 years and love playing around with the manual setting but, batt sucks. i was thinking should i just get FZ20 and mess around first before i move into DSLR because i know the investment for lenses and other 'barang barang' gonna cost a bomb.

    am just wondering, whether if FZ20 can attach wide angle lens because, sometimes i will take profile shots for my friends and, wide angle lens might be good. So what is the 40mm thing? is it how you define the width of the lens or something like that?

    another question... i did my research here and many of the FZ20 users are using suntax ext flash. but.. sometimes i need to swivel the ext flash lei.

    i'm quite impressed with the photos done by felix lau. check these out

    http://www.fotop.net/felixlau/felixlau39/D2H_6169

    http://www.fotop.net/felixlau/felixlau39/D2H_6060 (How do i do this kinda effect? can FZ20 do this?)

    http://www.fotop.net/felixlau/felixlau39/D2H_5872

    http://www.fotop.net/felixlau/felixlau39/D2H_6048

    koolz: yeah.. i'm spacemonkey from HWZ.

  13. #13

    Default

    Move from FZ-20 to E-300.
    I miss the stabilized macro capability of the FZ-20.

    The constant F2.8 is a great asset in dim condition.
    If I have the budget, I'd want to have both.
    Reason moving to D-SLR, is to have better portrait shots.

  14. #14
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qert
    thanks for the feedback guys!! i really appreciate it.

    i love photography! had been using fuji 601z for 2 years and love playing around with the manual setting but, batt sucks. i was thinking should i just get FZ20 and mess around first before i move into DSLR because i know the investment for lenses and other 'barang barang' gonna cost a bomb.

    am just wondering, whether if FZ20 can attach wide angle lens because, sometimes i will take profile shots for my friends and, wide angle lens might be good. So what is the 40mm thing? is it how you define the width of the lens or something like that?

    another question... i did my research here and many of the FZ20 users are using suntax ext flash. but.. sometimes i need to swivel the ext flash lei.

    i'm quite impressed with the photos done by felix lau. check these out

    http://www.fotop.net/felixlau/felixlau39/D2H_6169

    http://www.fotop.net/felixlau/felixlau39/D2H_6060 (How do i do this kinda effect? can FZ20 do this?)

    http://www.fotop.net/felixlau/felixlau39/D2H_5872

    http://www.fotop.net/felixlau/felixlau39/D2H_6048

    koolz: yeah.. i'm spacemonkey from HWZ.
    Dun think so much. Just get FZ20 bah. As for the effect.. I aint sure.. Look like focusing at the back.. must do trial and error on my FZ20 also.. perhap PS effect? dunno. How about some expert care to tell us about that. hehe

  15. #15

    Default

    Hey guess what the rest saying quite true..think about how much you will be spending on a DSLR, and even to maintain it and those extras...

    I am also quite new into taking photos...and I thought its not worth spending so much now yet and the FZ 20 did just fine...

    Unless you got lots of money to spend? Hmm..then no comments about that...me poor guy...so I am left with like no choice..

  16. #16

    Default

    [/chant D70 on]

    D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70...

    [/chant D70 off]

    The dark side is strong and calling out to you... Wahahahaaaaa... try to play around with a D70 first before making the chioce if you wan to get FZ-20. FZ-20 is a cheaper budget camera... Greater Powers come greater responsibility... actually Greater power come with deep big pockets...

    Crapping liao... FZ-20 is fantastic for day shot, but when it come to nite shots... it bitez the dust man... no fight... D70 wins...

    If you are just an amatuer still doing the learning curve, get a FZ-20 first. No point get too good a camera and you dunno how to use it well... I always stress that it all depends on the photographer not the camera. If you are lousy, give you D70 oso no use... No offence... Cos i am crapping...

    2 f stops of crap...

  17. #17
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hong Jia
    [/chant D70 on]

    D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70... D70...

    [/chant D70 off]

    The dark side is strong and calling out to you... Wahahahaaaaa... try to play around with a D70 first before making the chioce if you wan to get FZ-20. FZ-20 is a cheaper budget camera... Greater Powers come greater responsibility... actually Greater power come with deep big pockets...

    Crapping liao... FZ-20 is fantastic for day shot, but when it come to nite shots... it bitez the dust man... no fight... D70 wins...

    If you are just an amatuer still doing the learning curve, get a FZ-20 first. No point get too good a camera and you dunno how to use it well... I always stress that it all depends on the photographer not the camera. If you are lousy, give you D70 oso no use... No offence... Cos i am crapping...

    2 f stops of crap...
    In the end of the day, its how well u take the pic with nice composition. No doubt with night shot prob but Im getting real fine with it. Hehehehe...

    I slowly getting hands on inside out with my FZ20 liao

  18. #18

    Default

    Then u can go stand by FZ-20 liao...

    FZ-20 strip...

    Stripping...

    Stripping... .... ....

    FZ-20 stripped and ready for inspection.....

    FZ-20 assemble

    Assembling...

    Assembling... ... ...

    FZ-20 assembled and ready for shooting...


  19. #19
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Something u heard before from the loudspeakers:

    Photographers...

    Watch ur front..........................

    Photographers...

    6 Shot of Photos................

    Own time... Own Target.................


    Carry On.................




  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Watch your front!!!
    Own time own subject!!!
    Shoot!!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •