Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Where in SIN would you bring your foreign friends?

  1. #1

    Default Where in SIN would you bring your foreign friends?

    Hi guys,

    This is a totally irrelevant question and has nothing to do with photography

    Ok, I have two foreign friends who would be coming down next week to Singapore... I promised them last year if they came, I would bring them around Singapore. Now, one of them came to Singapore a couple of times, whereas the other friend has not.

    Ahhh, the question is... where in SIN would you bring them?? I could only think about the boring old places like Orchard Road lah, Zoo lah, etc *yawn*

    Oh the other thing is they only have the whole afternoon and evening with me before they take a flt back (they are here on business trip so hence the tight schedule... managed to squeeze some time after they finished their business )

    Any interesting ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    Chinatown, Little Inida? Go Chomchom or bedok eat the famous local food? At night can go geylang if they wanna happy happy? or else go clarke quake or Mohd Sultan?

  3. #3

    Default

    presume they doing biz in town... to the oldest chinese temple in town, chinatown / sri mariamam temple, makan some stuff at the hawker centre, see the durian and mystical tourist lion symbol at marina, go to little india, hop to orchard or suntec or parkway to shop, dinner, send off...

    personally i think chinatown is not too bad since you can see a piece of the heartland hear the HDB blocks and then browse for sourvenirs at the "revamped-retro" (bleeeah) shophouses side, as well as visit the india temple there.

  4. #4

    Default

    actually i also wanted to suggest toa payoh... hardly a touristy place but another place mixing modern and heartland singapore. unless your friends do really prefer to go do things the STB wants them to do!

  5. #5

    Default

    mmmm.... just wondering... i never gone to chinatown recently... are those make-shift shops selling CNY stuff open in the day? or only at night?

    actually i was thinking abt those duck tours... wow... veryyyy ex.... ... ...

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by igpenguin
    actually i also wanted to suggest toa payoh... hardly a touristy place but another place mixing modern and heartland singapore. unless your friends do really prefer to go do things the STB wants them to do!
    yah i was also thinking about toa payoh! ... ehhh ... but what to do in the heartlands huh? i dunno if they will be bored or not....

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    can go pulau ubin or pasir ris park?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    can go pulau ubin or pasir ris park?
    wah pulau ubin sounds good! think that'll be unusual for them

  9. #9

    Default

    yup...toapayoh....bring them for a little walk ard the old hdb estates...and show tell them about the upgrading works lo...

    then can go some old hawker centre ard queensway for dinner..... show them more of a side less seen by tourists lo.....since wat the tour agencies can offer they can easily get...

    cheers...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    can also go halland village for lunch or dinner. show them one of the oldest hawker centre in singapore and try the food there. esp "hum chee peng, you cha kuay, etc"

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    can also go halland village for lunch or dinner. show them one of the oldest hawker centre in singapore and try the food there. esp "hum chee peng, you cha kuay, etc"
    wah dun make me hungry now leh *slurp*... maybe time for supper liao

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    well still got many places singaporeans will go, like bugis, sim lim square, then can hop over to the flea market on weekends, they will be interested to see all kinds of junk for sale. haha...

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    well still got many places singaporeans will go, like bugis, sim lim square, then can hop over to the flea market on weekends, they will be interested to see all kinds of junk for sale. haha...
    maybe bring them for the minolta gathering also har har

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lumen
    maybe bring them for the minolta gathering also har har
    sure, if your friends won't find it boring.
    are they photogs too? wednesday can go SEED also.. haha...
    check out if there's any events or performances, can bring them to watch also.

  15. #15

    Default

    I think you should bring them to the Mustafah Department Store in Little India. It is one of the most unique dept stores in Singapore...you can get almost everything there and the prices are quire reasonable. Even if your friends do not shop it is still worthwhile to bring them there to experience the seemingly chaotic but surprisely well organised store. Everytime I go there I discouver new things. The best thing is it is opened 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

    There are also a lot of good eating places around there.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    sure, if your friends won't find it boring.
    are they photogs too? wednesday can go SEED also.. haha...
    check out if there's any events or performances, can bring them to watch also.
    actually my two friends are japanese girls... think i shld organize a photo shoot for you guys instead!

    ok now now... $50 per photographer!

    1)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)

    .... ok joking lah... think my friends would slaughter me if i really do it!

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leongfm
    I think you should bring them to the Mustafah Department Store in Little India. It is one of the most unique dept stores in Singapore...you can get almost everything there and the prices are quire reasonable. Even if your friends do not shop it is still worthwhile to bring them there to experience the seemingly chaotic but surprisely well organised store. Everytime I go there I discouver new things. The best thing is it is opened 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

    There are also a lot of good eating places around there.
    pssst... actually hor i haven't been to mustafah before maybe it'll be a experience for all of us

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Central
    Posts
    181

    Default

    hmm, was going to ask u where they come from.

    i have brought a japanese fren around b4.

    most japanese like to see/experience things with a local favor. they would most probably have heard of sentosa b4, but probably wont enjoy the experience as much as little india and chinatown.

    if she like spicy food, bring her to a nice indian restaurant in little india. a walk to mustafa is fine.

    bring her to the guan yin temple at bugis and tell her its the most famous chinese temple in singapore.

    then make a trip to chinatown, now is especially a good time with all the cny bazaar. lots of food there also. ask her to try bah kua and pork floss. if she like, can bring back to japan.

    evening program i leave it to u, make her mabo

  19. #19

    Default

    showed my jap friend around singapore and she likes
    1. little india
    2. pulau ubin
    3. kelong
    4. arts performances
    5. museums
    6. sungei buloh

    by the way, the first thing my friend said when she saw the sentosa beach is "looks so fake!!!". bring them to a kelong to relax for a couple of days. its relaxing and they dont have kelongs in japan...
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    West Coast of sunny Singapore
    Posts
    1,439

    Default Night Safari

    well... you may say that it's nothing special, it's just like a zoo, they have those everywhere.

    but i assure you, the experience is different. primarily because of the dark. it's quire a feeling to go around and see animals at night. the cool air, the dim lighting.

    and a night safari/zoo is not quite as common as a regular zoo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •