Thread: APS. What happened?

Default APS. What happened?

I was looking at film P&S the other day. I noticed the truly compact ones are all APS cameras (aside from the Ricoh GR1).

Whatever happened to APS? There was alot of promises when the APS format was introduced. Now it seem to be on a life support system, with the plug to be pulled off any time now.

more like is brain dead to me...

Had already been pulled I think. APS now lives on in digital format (APS sized sensors)
    Nevertheless I still have a Minolta APS camera almost brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by bernardsia
    I was looking at film P&S the other day. I noticed the truly compact ones are all APS cameras (aside from the Ricoh GR1).

Whatever happened to APS? There was alot of promises when the APS format was introduced. Now it seem to be on a life support system, with the plug to be pulled off any time now.

Yeah. brain dead, feed thru a tube. But still alive.

I saw CP selling APS film the other day. It cost about the same price as professional slides. But it's a smaller piece of the same 35mm film?

You mean they are still selling the film itself !!.
    Wow must check expiry date leh.

Quote Originally Posted by bernardsia
    Yeah. brain dead, feed thru a tube. But still alive.

I saw CP selling APS film the other day. It cost about the same price as professional slides. But it's a smaller piece of the same 35mm film?

Yeah man. Imagine paying $12 for expired film.

But even if you get the film, your camera works. Where does one go to develope the film? All Kodak outlets can handle APS?

Fotohub (went RGB Color today) had a price list mentioning APS film processing with Index at $6 with printing of photos (example on 4R) and without printing $7.

APS was just a marketing ploy by Kodak and a few other companies to introduce yet another silly format. Remember kodak's disc film, etc? APS was dead even before it hit the markets. It didn't make the slightest impression on 35mm which was the leader those days, and today digital has simply killed APS.
    RIP.