Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Cherry Blossom dates for 2005

  1. #1

    Default Cherry Blossom dates for 2005

    Want to check with any CS member who is staying in Japan on the dates
    for Cherry Blossom (Sakura) for this year. Any prediction ?

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    It really depends on the weather. i have went there a few times and I only manage to see Sakura or Cherry Blossoms bloom for a week in Tokyo City only. It does not last long. Sometimes it blooms on mid March and sometimes early April.

    If you really want to see Cherry Blossoms, another place that you can visit is the foot of Mount Fuji and Kyoto where the Cherry Blssoms last much longer as the weather is cooler.

    Good luck!

  4. #4

    Default

    You can check/monitor Japan's meteorological website for forecasts when its closer...
    Last year it seemed quite accurate...

    Quote Originally Posted by cookiez
    Want to check with any CS member who is staying in Japan on the dates
    for Cherry Blossom (Sakura) for this year. Any prediction ?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Sakuras blossom at around end of March to the 1st or 2nd week of April. They are notoriously sensitive to temperatures though.

    Get ready that long lens and enjoy urself!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    This year might be a bit unpredictable, cos the winter is usually warm. And if you are thinking of flying there to shoot, you've got to make your travel arrangement early.

    Alternatively, now they also have lavender forecast for Hokkaido!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Ahhhh..... Lavenders!!!!!

    I'm absolutely banging my head now. I wonder how much do I have to save up for dat trip now.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    And if you are thinking of flying there to shoot, you've got to make your travel arrangement early.
    Thats why have to book airticket and reserve accomodation now

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Sakuras blossom at around end of March to the 1st or 2nd week of April. They are notoriously sensitive to temperatures though.

    Get ready that long lens and enjoy urself!
    Sometimes can be as early as mid March leh....urghhh....how to predict....I
    hope I can stay there for a month but can't afford ! urghhhh.....

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    West Coast of sunny Singapore
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    if only budget airlines will start flying there, and offer 99 cent tickets. then it'll be way more affordable.

    just bring an extra luggage crammed full of cup noodles, can then stay a whole month to wait for the cherry blossoms.

    will be a beautiful sight to behold though...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Prepare da sleeping bags to sleep at Ueno Park as well if u're hardcore enuff....

  12. #12

    Default

    Finally got the air ticket and accomodation ready. Free & Easy from Tokyo
    to Kyoto to Osaka, hope to catch cherry blossom in any of the 3 cities.
    Any CSers going too ? My trip starts last week of March till 1st week of April.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Great World City, Singapore
    Posts
    122

    Default

    My friends and I also plan to go there, japan overland, back pack ...hope will cover 70% of Japan, budget around $1500-1700...including flight,train, etc, but not makan hehe .........
    Will be there 1-13 april....hope can catch the cherry blossom within any of the day

    First time to Japan lei.......

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    My Jap friends says the actual dates for Cherry Blossoms will be announce on March 3-4.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Dong Moon
    My friends and I also plan to go there, japan overland, back pack ...hope will cover 70% of Japan, budget around $1500-1700...including flight,train, etc, but not makan hehe .........
    Will be there 1-13 april....hope can catch the cherry blossom within any of the day

    First time to Japan lei.......
    Should be enuf but quite tight budget. Cannot shop! Makan can be quite cheap if you know where to hunt for it. The forecast at the moment is end of March and beginning of April. All the cheery blossoms will be in Tokyo and Osaka for a week only. If you want to see more, then maybe you have to go somewhere close by Mount Fuji. It's a place called Lake Kawaguchi.

    Another place you can view nice cherry blossoms is Kyoto temples. The cherry blossoms last a little longer. But be warn that the amount of Japanese will be visiting this areas too. So you will be squeezing with them. One of the temples in Kyoto has nothing but cherry blossoms only. I forgot the temple's name but it's an orange temple with white sand inside the temple. There is a tiny man made lake which you can discover how wasibi is planted.

    Enjoy!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Dong Moon
    My friends and I also plan to go there, japan overland, back pack ...hope will cover 70% of Japan, budget around $1500-1700...including flight,train, etc, but not makan hehe .........
    Will be there 1-13 april....hope can catch the cherry blossom within any of the day
    First time to Japan lei.......
    Actually the most expensive part of a trip in Japan is the accomodation and transport. The cheapest hostel I've found on my trips also minimum around US$40 a day.(Maybe I wasn't looking hard enuff:P)

    And subway/electric train stations are like $3.00 for ONE stop!!

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cookiez
    Finally got the air ticket and accomodation ready. Free & Easy from Tokyo
    to Kyoto to Osaka, hope to catch cherry blossom in any of the 3 cities.
    Any CSers going too ? My trip starts last week of March till 1st week of April.
    I'll be going.....

    2006 April though....

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Great World City, Singapore
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Yup ... we also tie up closely with some japanese there to monitor whether there is any news on cherry blossom date.

    I tot we buy 7 days unlimited ride train ticket for about S$450 ( expensive horrr?? )
    We will cover Osaka, Tokyo, Nara, Kyoto, Hakone, Hakodate, Nikko, Hokaido, and Sapporo. Wah.....i see the itinerary also tired liao hahaha, but must be adventurous.

    But anyone can advise whether should bring any jacket or not ? Or just some light jacket enough ?

  19. #19

    Default

    Apr 1-13 and u wanna cover all those places?
    thats not adventurous... just travelling for the sake of travelling and being there... can't enjoy a place travelling like dat..
    anyway, was in tokyo last yr sakura and the temp can go as low as 7degC excluding windchill, so you'll have to figure out what jacket u bring based on your own tolerance... colder in hokkaido!

    think hostel beds in japan not worth it... better to go business hotels...



    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Dong Moon
    Yup ... we also tie up closely with some japanese there to monitor whether there is any news on cherry blossom date.

    I tot we buy 7 days unlimited ride train ticket for about S$450 ( expensive horrr?? )
    We will cover Osaka, Tokyo, Nara, Kyoto, Hakone, Hakodate, Nikko, Hokaido, and Sapporo. Wah.....i see the itinerary also tired liao hahaha, but must be adventurous.

    But anyone can advise whether should bring any jacket or not ? Or just some light jacket enough ?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    U sure u wanna take a train to Hakodate and Sapporo (Hokkaido actually refers to da entire prefecture I believe) frm Kanto?

    Good luck buddy. This is gonna be one helluva train ride. 2wks not really enuff to cover these places. Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and Hakone will confirm eat 1wk off ur schedule liao. Hakodate and Sapporo will take u at least 8 to 10hrs on train alone (unless u take aeroplane fly). And once u reach Hokkaido, if u never go Wakkanai (the northern-most province in Japan) its almost like u never go Hokkaido before. And frm Wakkanai, its only a 1 or 2hr boat ride to a Russian port town....

    Advise u to take out at least 3wks to a month on this kinda 'end-to-end' itinerary and buy da 21-day JR pass dat can be used not only on da bullet trains, but oso on JR Buses as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •