We have been contacted by a company (who wishes to remain anonymous for the time being) in sourcing for a photographer (or photographers - not 100% finalised yet) who can meet their criteria in the production of a black & white photobook on Indonesia.
Following is the email (verified by me with telephone conversation to the company/organiser) spelling out what they are looking for.
We are pleased to inform you that our company is in the midst of selecting a photographer to do a Black and White photo book launch. The theme will be Indonesia. This assignment serves as an excellent opportunity to showcase your skills and we will not discriminate between amatuers/professionals. Your portfolio speaks for itself.
Some of the photo book criteria are as follows:
1. Only black and white shots will be used;
2. Lots of human interest shots and landscape, from the countryside and towns (about 50/50);
3. Avoid "tricky", staged photographs and try to stay with natural lens work;
4. Avoid "postcard" imagery;
5. Include some architecturally unique aspects;
6. Each slide/image requires a title and its even better with a few words of interest on its location and date.
If you need past copies of our books as examples, or have additional queries, the viewing dates are fixed on 24th & 25th January 2005, 12.30pm-2pm at 63 Club Street. No appointment is required.
In addition, all interested parties must submit their portfolio containing no less than 20 black and white photographs (in jpeg format) that meets the first 6 criteria stated above by 28th January 2005. The submission must be in a CD format and full contact details should be included on the CD. Please initial all the photographs discretely at the top right hand corner. Include a self addressed envelope if you expect a return of your CD.
Please send the CD by 28th January 2005 to:
"Black and White Photo Book"
63 Club Street, Singapore 069437
Typically, the selected photographer can expect the following benefits:
1. About 100 of the hard copy final books for him to sell as special edition books;
2. Paid travel to 1 or 2 offices (Asia/The Americas) for the book launch;
3. A payment for his time and effort to support production of the book;
4. We have the books put into a couple of notable international B+W Photo Book museums;
5. Future revenue from follow on sales of images we use in the book for client gifts and decorating offices (amount and conditions to be determined via contract between the photographer and company).
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified by 18th Febuary 2005. Telephone enquiries will not be entertained.
If you are interested to participate and submit your photographs for consideration, please try to make it down to their offices on the 24th and 25th January to get more details directly from the organiser as we are only acting as an announcement avenue at this point in time.
We understand that the company is requesting for a CD with jpegs, but they may be willing to view a printed portfolio if available.
Questions can be posted here and we will try to liaise with the company and get you answers as quickly as possible.