Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi ... I am using these kind of dry box .... and using Thirsty Hippo as dry agent.

Default Re: Hi ... I am using these kind of dry box .... and using Thirsty Hippo as dry agent

Actually I don't see anything wrong with that setup. When I first started off, I am using something like that for quite a while and it is pretty good. My friend is using a shoebox for his equipment for a longer time before we decided to get a dry cabinet.

Well... as long as care is taken, I don't see any problem with that.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Default Re: Hi ... I am using these kind of dry box .... and using Thirsty Hippo as dry agent

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post

Well... as long as care is taken, I don't see any problem with that.
    dats the problem... human are lazy most of the time... first few months u are very hardworking make sure silica gels replaces and humidity level ok. but down the road, you think "aiyah heck!" then even further down the road... the damage appears... fungus start to grow and appear.

so why bother? just buy a dry cabinet, open door close door. simple as that and electricity bill wun even exceed $5 per mth.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    dats the problem... human are lazy most of the time... first few months u are very hardworking make sure silica gels replaces and humidity level ok. but down the road, you think "aiyah heck!" then even further down the road... the damage appears... fungus start to grow and appear.

so why bother? just buy a dry cabinet, open door close door. simple as that and electricity bill wun even exceed $5 per mth.
    If I'm not wrong with my calculation, it's about 44kWh a year and that's about 44 x 0.17 = $8 the entire year.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    If I'm not wrong with my calculation, it's about 44kWh a year and that's about 44 x 0.17 = $8 the entire year.
    yeah... so why bother manually keeping track of humidity level + replacing silica gel? it just dun make economy sense... u end up spending more in long run!

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79

equipments also expensive too if forget to change the hippo.
    Money you've spent, can always earn it back.
    Time wasted, there is no amount of money you can buy it back again.

:-)
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

haha true true.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

yep true.

besides the money that you earn will have to be spent again for all the gear you have to replace coz you din spend in the first place.

Every time, this saying comes to mind " penny wise pound foolish"
    [Nikon-D7000|Manfrotto 055XPROB, Gitzo 275 BH| Nikon-AF 50 f1.4D| Nikon-SB600]

Quote Originally Posted by silvermoon1407 View Post
    Hi all, if the issue of drybox is overdrying of rubber parts, can I then say its ok to have a drybox setup if your camera system have hardly any rubber parts? E.g Sony NEX?
    NEX 7 has many rubber / plastic parts. the hand grip, the inner circuit board, connectors, shuttle damper, eye piece cup, insulator, wires, flexi board, buttons..etc..

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    it just dun make economy sense... u end up spending more in long run!
    I think we must let every photographer go through the learning curve and have the chance to cultivate some fungus and experience the feeling of having something growing on the lens and sending lenses in for cleaning. The experience is not complete without this.

Never tried this before.. As i got myself a dry cabinet once i got my camera.. Like many already mention..this way..can work also..but you may need to keep track of it more often from time to time..(Well infact if you use your stuff often enough..you dont even need these).

For the start maybe you are observance and will remember to change and keep track. But after sometime we might forget or especially when we are held up or busy with some other stuff.

So..the best way is to get a dry cabinet. Its not expensive for the small one (<$130) and it comes with warranty (some gives up to 5 years). If you can afford it. Please help get 1.
    "Make your money work for you" .. Go on do other stuff and earn it back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12