Thread: Exposure

Default Exposure

Hey, I am interested in taking cityscapes of singapore and during the day time, it is either the sky get overexposed or underexposed. May I know how can I balance those 2 in camera? Your feedback are most appreciated

Default Re: Exposure

HDR Shooting. most cameras come with it these days.

also you might want to use Graduated Neutral Density filters etc

you need to have good lighting, find out when is the best time of the day to take at this angle and come back another day.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

golden hour, or use filter.

i also second what Uncle Catchlights said.

and Shizuma also said something worth considering

1. Use grad ND filter
    2. Shoot RAW and recover (limited)
    3. Exposing for the sky, followed by another exposing for the ground, merge to HDR
    4. Understand light and the limits of your camera
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by autumnbrazzer View Post
    Hey, I am interested in taking cityscapes of singapore and during the day time, it is either the sky get overexposed or underexposed. May I know how can I balance those 2 in camera? Your feedback are most appreciated
    I will just summarize everything that has been said here and categorize them into Tools versus Lighting.

Tools - HDR technique, GND filters, digital blending.
    Lighting - timing of the day, as uncle catchlights has said.

It all depends on what your intended vision and outcome are.

Quote Originally Posted by autumnbrazzer View Post
    Understand your metering. If the same shot turns out in two different results then the camera just determined the exposure differently. Why? Read your manual how (and when) metering works, use the mode that works best. In addition, think about whether an overexposed sky is really that bad. If it only takes 10% of the image and you have a clear foreground subject then it's hardly relevant whether you can see some cloud shapes or just a white stripe. Also, your camera has an exposure compensation function. If the metering gets fooled by certain light conditions then just override by setting +EV or -EV. Again, your manual helps. Check your histogram to see whether certain areas of the picture are really overexposed (clipping in histogram) or it's just your impression.
    I'd recommend waiting for better light. Cheapest option, requires only patience (and a bit of luck) and you'll learn most by observing light.
    EOS

Thank you guys for the valuable feedbacks, i have researched it and have started practising it.