Thread: Digital Invasion

Default Digital Invasion

Hi guys. I realise there are more n more digital cam users. Maybe coz d digital cam now r more affordable. Looks like i'm 1 of those few film users. Would like to know more film users n exchange their experieces. thanks alot.

digital is still expensive. but my take is that canon EOS 1n is arguably the best film camera for the money in terms of everything (ergonmics, reliability, AF, etc) right now in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Illidan
    Hi guys. I realise there are more n more digital cam users. Maybe coz d digital cam now r more affordable. Looks like i'm 1 of those few film users. Would like to know more film users n exchange their experieces. thanks alot.
    Don't be discouraged! There're still quite a few of us crawling around the edges of the digital invasion...

Quote Originally Posted by tingchiyen
    Don't be discouraged! There're still quite a few of us crawling around the edges of the digital invasion...
    We are the BORG.....Resistance is futile.....You WILL BE ASSIMILATED......

Good luck guys, just shot a little film recently again for the heck of it. Interesting experience after having evolved my technique in digital for such a long time.

There are still a large number of film shooters, but most people I know don't participate in the forums. They are actually out shooting, making prints and doing something productive.

I still shoot with my film EOS because of the ridiculous cost of a DSLR which can offer me the same features, and I'm not talking about an entry level model like the 300D with a microscopic viewfinder, rather someting in the 1 series. Having got used to a decent SLR, the digital P&S cams are almost unuseable, the AF speed and delay / shutter lag is unacceptable.

Well, as long as the make and process film....

i'm shooting film, no digital, and i try all kinds. I dev only, then take home to scan. My production rate is very slow, usually takes 2-3 weeks to finish 1 roll depending on the way i shoot. So end up I post once in 1-2 months.

There's the other film shooters, the medium/large format pple.

Dun worry, I am a die-hard film shooter too!
    I dun bothered by digital stuff as it became out-dated very fast and one had to keep upgrading cameras (can't last as the CCD dies, the camera will go inside the trash as well). Sorry to say that, it is sad but true.
    I use a manual film camera that will last me for a lifetime and I dun bothered by this.

eh. how often have you seen a dead CCD from normal usage? I believe the mechanical parts will wear out first.., these things should be rated for 10 years or more and are obsolete before they wear out.

I don't think I've even seen a single post about a dead ccd from normal usage anywhere..

Default doenst matter

Hmm..Doesnt Matter right?

Film, Digital back, 1:1 CCD..or whatever media type, as long as you can use your current system to create wonderful pictures....

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    Dun worry, I am a die-hard film shooter too!
    I dun bothered by digital stuff as it became out-dated very fast and one had to keep upgrading cameras (can't last as the CCD dies, the camera will go inside the trash as well). Sorry to say that, it is sad but true.
    I use a manual film camera that will last me for a lifetime and I dun bothered by this.
    Whatever.... . Will never miss an opportunity to take a swipe at digital, will you? I hope you're still using a typewriter at work, dun need to upgrade every 3 years you know......

To the other genuine film users who are posting here due to love of the medium and not the fear of technology, good luck and good shooting, I'm tempted to dabble in it a little myself again.

take a look at this poll http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=57447

you'd be surprised there are many film users around. i think it's more of a "live happily ever after..." scenario

Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    eh. how often have you seen a dead CCD from normal usage? I believe the mechanical parts will wear out first.., these things should be rated for 10 years or more and are obsolete before they wear out.

I don't think I've even seen a single post about a dead ccd from normal usage anywhere..
    Mechanical parts are easily repairable but for a CCD the manufactuer will not make a out-dated CCD specially for you after the product is discontinued.
    Look at those Nikon F, Pentax Spotmatic, Leica M cameras, they had lasted for almost 50 years...will digital camera able to out-last them? Only time will tell!

Maybe there r things to do with art and technical.
    When talking about efficiency, we use technology eg. computers, CAD/CAM etc.
    from 'pure' sense of art, we seldom see digital drum even they r smaller n less proplem, analog piano, paint/bush instead of computer graphics.

But sometime choices can be limited esp when it relate to this word call "WORK" n u might have to forego passion and choose efficiency. Other time, u might still know yr passion and which u choose or like. Worst is those who have no clue or worry being left out or techo-geek.

Otherwise, they r the same. Just making process n preference. Are u a production techno-geek or really have passion for yr little hobby? If the passion is there, u shdnt really bother

Mechanical parts are easily repairable but for a CCD the manufactuer will not make a out-dated CCD specially for you after the product is discontinued.
    Look at those Nikon F, Pentax Spotmatic, Leica M cameras, they had lasted for almost 50 years...will digital camera able to out-last them? Only time will tell!
    Actually, I would think it's easier to replace electronic parts than mechanical parts. A big reason why the cameras you have mentioned are highly valued is because some of their parts can't be replaced anymore. Cos of the worksmanship required to model and service the parts no longer exist. And honestly, any cameras that you've seen from those days that are still working may simply be due to the fact that they haven't been exhaustively used yet. I seriously doubt that if you used a mechanical camera on a daily basis for 30 years, it will be free of problems at the end of the period.

Having that said, I'm a film user too.

Also, another topic to ponder upon:
    Image manipulation, ethics and all

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    Actually, I would think it's easier to replace electronic parts than mechanical parts. A big reason why the cameras you have mentioned are highly valued is because some of their parts can't be replaced anymore. Cos of the worksmanship required to model and service the parts no longer exist. And honestly, any cameras that you've seen from those days that are still working may simply be due to the fact that they haven't been exhaustively used yet. I seriously doubt that if you used a mechanical camera on a daily basis for 30 years, it will be free of problems at the end of the period.

really interesting.

I have to disagree with you on this. The setting up cost of a IC or a CCD is far too expensive..so as to say that after the product is discontinued, they will not produce it coz the price is damn high to set up the outdated parts.
    There are many great example of seriously used mech cameras which still in use today:-

Garry Winogrand's M4
    Mark Lipson's M4

Not all mech camera are highly valued like the OM-series, Pentax Spotmatic & Nikon F-series (unless very good condition with box). Coz when they die, as what you had mentioned, there are no parts to service. The reason why Leica camera is more valuable is the fact that they still do servicing for all their cameras even dating more than 50 years back!

I have to disagree with you on this. The setting up cost of a IC or a CCD is far too expensive..so as to say that after the product is discontinued, they will not produce it coz the price is damn high to set up the outdated parts.
    There are many great example of seriously used mech cameras which still in use today:-

Garry Winogrand's M4
    Mark Lipson's M4

Not all mech camera are highly valued like the OM-series, Pentax Spotmatic & Nikon F-series (unless very good condition with box). Coz when they die, as what you had mentioned, there are no parts to service. The reason why Leica camera is more valuable is the fact that they still do servicing for all their cameras even dating more than 50 years back!
    Of course there are example of such cameras, but there are many examples of cameras which don't make it to this day. It's pointless to argue whether more cameras actually survive or more cameras succumb to time.

And believe me, it's pretty troublesome to design the specification for a gear and output it on a fabrication machine too. Leica has the capability to repair the parts simply because thats what their selling point is about. It's pretty much a commercial affair now. Cameras aren't simply designed to last these days. If every DSLR last 30 years, how's Canon/Nikon ever going to make any money? Sadly, cameras simply don't have that intrinsic value anymore, even if you gaffer the whole package up.

Of course there are example of such cameras, but there are many examples of cameras which don't make it to this day. It's pointless to argue whether more cameras actually survive or more cameras succumb to time.

And believe me, it's pretty troublesome to design the specification for a gear and output it on a fabrication machine too. Leica has the capability to repair the parts simply because thats what their selling point is about. It's pretty much a commercial affair now. Cameras aren't simply designed to last these days. If every DSLR last 30 years, how's Canon/Nikon ever going to make any money? Sadly, cameras simply don't have that intrinsic value anymore, even if you gaffer the whole package up.
    True, true!!!