Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which DSLR ?

Default Re: Which DSLR ?

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    wow same old topic again?What camera to buy and len to get.What a boring topic
    Sibei sian
    no need to reply to the thread and complain if you find it sian. otherwise, TS would appreciate some helpful advice. cheers.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by HuiJin View Post
    Hi all ,

I am the type of photographer who enjoy taking scenic schots . A lil stressed up about which DSLR to get here as it is my first and i wanna get it right . i have a few entry-levels one in mine the nikon 3200D or the Canon EOS 650D . i wouldnt mind if you guys recommend other DSLRs to me too !

another question i have would be if i should purchase the kit or just the body . i am still unsure/confused about the way lenses go about despite reading them on clubsnap and online pages

Hope you guys can help !

Thanks !

HuiJin
    i'd go with the more highly rated sensor in the Nikon D3200. Start with the 18-55VR kit lens and a decent tripod. Add an ultrawide lens (e.g. Sigma 10-20) if you have the budget.
    Last edited by zaren; 7th July 2012 at 01:39 PM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Please drop the illusion that there are 'cameras for scenic pictures'. That's similar to the question popping up here every months about 'Which lens to use to take pictures of wedding / children birthday / cityscape / newborn baby / you name it?'. All cameras offered to consumers are able to take scenic pictures - provided the person behind the viewfinder know how to handle the camera. The concept of DSLR is to have different lenses for different requirements.
    Define a budget, read reviews, define functions and feature you must have (video? tilt screen?), shortlist 2 or 3 cameras, go down to the showrooms and molest them there. Only if you really feel comfortable with weight and ergonomics you will have fun.
    Next year the market will have the next newer models of cameras, it will continue this way. It's consumer electronics, not long term investment. As long as the camera in your hands does what you need you don't need anything else.
    im not having the thought of buying one just for scenic photos , just saying my preference and maybe the seniors can make some recommendations from there cos i read from the other threads and some seniors actually asked that question . and yeah , definetly , i agree with what youre saying as well

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    i'd go with the more highly rated sensor in the Nikon D3200. Start with the 18-55VR kit lens and a decent tripod. Add an ultrawide lens (e.g. Sigma 10-20) if you have the budget.
    thanks for the suggestion senior , yeah that was what i was thinking i should do too ! thanks for helping ! since i kinda doubted myself when i made that decision haha !

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    well, don't take too long to decide than,

else you will have to wait for the next better newer model, and the next........ and the next ....... and the next.....
    yes definetly senior ! next 2 weekends ! payday . mwahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by nedy77
    in that case, just take the plunge and buy the d3200. learnt the basics and shoot more photos. get a semi-pro when you outgrow your d3200

even if you get a semi-pro now, there's no guarantee you'll stop here. you might be tempted once the new models come out
    very much agreed , thanks for the suggestion !

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    i'm sure the D3200 is great. along with the 24MP sensor comes greater dynamic range. however, do take note of what lenses are compatible with it.
    looks like the d3200 is it ! thanks for the tons of help/advice you haven given me !

It is o.k. to take time to make decision on the first DSLR.

Anyway after owning 5 DSLR and after a few hundred thousands shots and win some photo competitions, by now the first decision on the right DSLR was no longer important, is right question should be when to jump in.

The DSLR will come and go, but investing in good lens will stay with you for years. More important is to know what you need. The camera body should just treat it as consumer able items, most of the time it do not worth of repairing, I found it worth to buy another used camera body then to take time and money to repair. The camera body bought years before, but now you could just pay half of the value and get better specifications from the used camera.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by HuiJin View Post
    looks like the d3200 is it !
    congrats on coming to a decision. This is not the end, but rather a beginning to a learning process.

welcome to the beautiful world of photography

Canon 7D, indestructible (nearly)!!!

Canon 7D - Hardcore Durability Test - YouTube

and it takes pretty good pictures, too. (don't try this at home though!)

If is landscape I would go for d3200 if the megapixels provides better details than other models. 7D is known for af and burst speed which isn't that crucial for landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by HuiJin
    Hi all ,

I am the type of photographer who enjoy taking scenic schots . A lil stressed up about which DSLR to get here as it is my first and i wanna get it right . i have a few entry-levels one in mine the nikon 3200D or the Canon EOS 650D . i wouldnt mind if you guys recommend other DSLRs to me too !

another question i have would be if i should purchase the kit or just the body . i am still unsure/confused about the way lenses go about despite reading them on clubsnap and online pages

Hope you guys can help !

Thanks !

HuiJin
    Before buying, u got to ask yourself if u are willing to carry the DSLR weight around.....

A body with couple of lenses, filters and tripod is no joke.

Ppl are selling DSLR off because of bulkiness and weight and turn to mirrorless or M 4/3

Dont be a 3 minute warm.

TS has already set her mind on the D3200. why wait till everything is almost settled then try to change TS' mind?

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Before buying, u got to ask yourself if u are willing to carry the DSLR weight around.....

A body with couple of lenses, filters and tripod is no joke.

Ppl are selling DSLR off because of bulkiness and weight and turn to mirrorless or M 4/3

Dont be a 3 minute warm.
    no worries ! weight isnt a problem for me ! but thanks for the advice and the early warnings :P

Quote Originally Posted by shizuma
    Canon 7D, indestructible (nearly)!!!

Canon 7D - Hardcore Durability Test - YouTube

and it takes pretty good pictures, too. (don't try this at home though!)
    dope ! haha but d7 is kinda out of the picture for me ! hehe

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    TS has already set her mind on the D3200. why wait till everything is almost settled then try to change TS' mind?
    hehe no worries !~ decision to get d3200 remains unchanged !

Take a look at the lens range offered by any manufacturer (and the respective prices) 1and go with the brand that offers the right lens range for you. For me it's 24mm 50mm and 100mm but depending on what you like to shoot it will differ. If macro is your thing then look at macro lenses offered, if you're into shooting nature/wildlife the probably 200mm and above is the way to go. Keep in mind the above angle of view mentioned is for what today is called full frame 35mm. Learning the basics of what an aperture, shutter speed etc does to the final image is more important. I like 24mm in full frame format because of the drama it captures in street photography without overblowing the distortion of people's faces. 50mm is a bit boring but a very useful lens for everyday shooting (it's the most common of lens type that I use). 85mm or 100mm is nice to get some distance between you and the subject so that the subject feels relaxed plus it flattens the face somewhat - ie the nose doesn't look out of proportion to the ears. Keep in mind the longer the lens the faster the shutter speed needs to be when you are not using a tripod. So for a 100mm lens you'll need to shoot at 1/100s (or 1/125s) But for 24mm you can get away with 1/25 of a second. IS helps a bit but practice taking shots like you're shooting a rifle. Breath in, partial exhale and gently squeeze the shutter release button at the right moment. Don't keep looking at the LCD screen to check if your shots are good - it doesn't help to build confidence. Remember, the smaller the aperture the greater the depth of field in any given lens but wide angle lenses then to have a greater dof then say tele lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i'm sure the D3200 is great. along with the 24MP sensor comes greater dynamic range. however, do take note of what lenses are compatible with it.
    I believe this is a point that newbies who are partial to Nikon should take note. For owners of D3200 (and similar entry-level DSLRs), the number of lenses they have access to is smaller, unless they are comfortable with manual focusing AF and AF-D lenses.

Now if the newbie thinks that she might want to purchase the cheaper AF or AF-D lenses in the used market in the future, she might be better off with a D7000 or D90 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by calvinistguy

I believe this is a point that newbies who are partial to Nikon should take note. For owners of D3200 (and similar entry-level DSLRs), the number of lenses they have access to is smaller, unless they are comfortable with manual focusing AF and AF-D lenses.
    I think the current selection of AF-S lenses offered by Nikon to be quite adequate. I have explained before that other than a couple of niche lenses, a novice should be quite well served by the AF-S lenses.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    I think the current selection of AF-S lenses offered by Nikon to be quite adequate. I have explained before that other than a couple of niche lenses, a novice should be quite well served by the AF-S lenses.
    I agree that's true, as far as the adequacy of AF-S lenses is concerned. However, I'm looking at budgetary considerations, and that's why I made the qualification about the used lens market.

The used lens market exists because most of us, I believe, could not afford the expensive prices of new lenses, or perhaps we like to use certain lenses that are out of production. If the novice owns a DSLR with an internal AF motor, she could have a wider range of affordable lenses to choose from.

Also, the novice may find at times some of the AF-S lenses more expensive than their AF equivalent. For instance, as seen in the forum's price list, compare a new $279 AF-S 50mm f/1.8G lens with a $182 AF 50mm f/1.8D lens. Or a $2,050 AF-S 85mm f/1.4G lens with a $1,830 AF 85mm f/1.4D lens.
    Last edited by calvinistguy; 9th July 2012 at 05:34 PM.

I see. Well, I can understand your point, and it is certainly valid.

I just think that the newer lenses, despite being marginally expensive, are superior over the older lenses.

Besides, photography can be an expensive thing, and I think if the consumer wishes to go past the basic kit, he/she ought to be prepared to spend.

Nonetheless, I know that it is always go to save a few dollars more. Thanks for your perspective.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    haha, I'm a newbie and that is exactly what I started with. I started only with Kit lens 18-55VR and a decent tripod. One month after that, I bought a Sigma 10-20mm f4 - 5.6 lens and now I'm enjoying it. It will take me a while to handle the 10-20mm before my next lens and that would be a 50mm f1.8.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12