Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast

Thread: Heard of a $2.2k foldable bicycle?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Heard of a $2.2k foldable bicycle?

Quote Originally Posted by sibeiblur View Post
    Buy bicycle also consult minister, then buy plane must ask god liao.
    actually they need to follow some protocols one.

they have a price range. for the expenditure of a certain range, it must be approved by a public servant of a certain rank. the higher the amt, the higher the rank required for clearance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    n response to fervent online forum chatter in reference to the 26 Bromptons ordered by National Parks Board: almost all local bike companies do not follow Gebiz tenders as one would not expect government agencies to want to buy high-end bicycles for group use. \
    the latest updates was that the AD of npark and the manager were friends with the owner of the bikehop company.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i knew it! some IT Executive must be involved....

it must be this IT Executive:

I think the selection criteria have been change from .....
    short lead time => short skirts
    big value for money => big boobs
    long lasting => long sexy legs
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Quote Originally Posted by yqt

Agreed that the flaw in the bidding process had to be address, but the problem is that given the flaw and the high price of the bike, our Minister see it fit to approve, give his mandate to the whole process and even justify the purchase. Now that is a bigger flaw!!!
    Typical of garmen to defend themselves when something goes wrong and do not take responsibility for their actions.

Admit there is a mistake and do something to change it and not come up with excuse that it was within the proper procedure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lkf73 View Post
    Typical of garmen to defend themselves when something goes wrong and do not take responsibility for their actions.

Admit there is a mistake and do something to change it and not come up with excuse that it was within the proper procedure.
    i heard of nightmare stories where the surgeon will just declare medical procedure followed, but patient didn't make it hahaha

sounds familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart
    i heard of nightmare stories where the surgeon will just declare medical procedure followed, but patient didn't make it hahaha

sounds familiar.
    Which means the procedure cmi , or the patient too cham alr, or docotor also. Wonder which one is it with this bidding exercise ...

MND suspends NParks officer in charge of buying foldable bikes

08:55 PM Jul 24, 2012 SINGAPORE - The Ministry of National Development (MND) has suspended the National Parks Board (NParks) officer in charge of procuring the 26 S$2,200 foldable bicycles that sparked off controversy earlier this month.

In a statement issued this evening, the MND said an internal audit ordered by National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan last month "uncovered some discrepancies which, although inconclusive by themselves, suggested the possibility of bias in the procurement".

This so, even though the reasons for buying the bikes to enhance work productivity were "valid", said the MND.

The internal audit came after a report on the purchase on June 24. The audit team was tasked to review the purchase and to ascertain NParks' justification and see if its procurement process could be improved.

"MND has decided that the discrepancies were significant and warrant further investigation," the ministry said.

TODAYonline | Hot News | MND suspends NParks officer in charge of buying foldable bikes

08:55 PM Jul 24, 2012 SINGAPORE - The Ministry of National Development (MND) has suspended the National Parks Board (NParks) officer in charge of procuring the 26 S$2,200 foldable bicycles that sparked off controversy earlier this month.

In a statement issued this evening, the MND said an internal audit ordered by National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan last month "uncovered some discrepancies which, although inconclusive by themselves, suggested the possibility of bias in the procurement".

This so, even though the reasons for buying the bikes to enhance work productivity were "valid", said the MND.

The internal audit came after a report on the purchase on June 24. The audit team was tasked to review the purchase and to ascertain NParks' justification and see if its procurement process could be improved.

"MND has decided that the discrepancies were significant and warrant further investigation," the ministry said.

TODAYonline | Hot News | MND suspends NParks officer in charge of buying foldable bikes

wa......
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Blog Entries

suck thumb liao lor. hahaha. we wait and see...

Hmmm, hope nobody gets hurt. While it is good they review procedures, it is no good to go into a witch hunt just to answer to the public.

When that happen, it is always the guppies that got caught. Sharks are roaming in the open oceans.

If system got problems address them. Who approved them in the 1st place?

Getting small fish better than none right.

we will see then, news said investigation ongoing....

that officer who done the procurement could be make the scapegoat.

I change my views after watching the news on the expensive bikes. I now pity those NDPark officer liao. You see, they have to ride under hot sun or might get caught in the rain for their jobs while most of us, sitting inside office, wear sweater and complain this and that. They also need to fold the bike, carry them up the over head bridge etc. and the bike, if not light, will be taxing on them. Imagine they carry a FULL mountain bike, esp for those petite size woman. Furthermore, they need to wear helmet all the time, which quite uncomfortable in my view even for protection. They still have to look out for their bike when they checking on the tree and mostly they will be alone. 2.2k is a lot of $ but hey, we buy camera, lens etc. also more than that in a wink of eye (my start up is ard 7k) and I dont earn or gain anything from it except photos, tireness etc... So, even now CPIB get involved, I think they need to cover up liao due to us. (me included) Btw, my mountain bike after some mod, also ard 1k and I now let it to sleep, hardly use after some time. Oh, I dont work in NDPark hor, heh heh!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Don't mix up the issues.

It is not what the NParks officers need and deserve to get as a tool to carry out their duties.

It is not about whether they really need a high-end bike or not. That is a policy decision.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It is about the process of buying the bikes and from who. (apparently not the local authorised agent)

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    I change my views after watching the news on the expensive bikes. I now pity those NDPark officer liao. You see, they have to ride under hot sun or might get caught in the rain for their jobs while most of us, sitting inside office, wear sweater and complain this and that. They also need to fold the bike, carry them up the over head bridge etc. and the bike, if not light, will be taxing on them. Imagine they carry a FULL mountain bike, esp for those petite size woman. Furthermore, they need to wear helmet all the time, which quite uncomfortable in my view even for protection. They still have to look out for their bike when they checking on the tree and mostly they will be alone. 2.2k is a lot of $ but hey, we buy camera, lens etc. also more than that in a wink of eye (my start up is ard 7k) and I dont earn or gain anything from it except photos, tireness etc... So, even now CPIB get involved, I think they need to cover up liao due to us. (me included) Btw, my mountain bike after some mod, also ard 1k and I now let it to sleep, hardly use after some time. Oh, I dont work in NDPark hor, heh heh!
    btw, what was your view initially? Dahon Mu UNO also a light bike say less than 10kg. super easy to fold and carry. with coastal brake. single speed though and only S$999

Mu uni can further drop to 8kg if remove / change some section like handle bar, seat bar, remove front brake etc

carry me from Pacific bike even better.. 600-700++ can get

cute and small but might not suit NPark rough terrain..

I feels they dont know how to use a 2.2k bike as sure got gear system in it. Cause even normal bike, I also see people pedal like mad but moves like a snail due to WRONG gear but they in that gear for easy movement. Like front is middle, rear also, on flat road. For me this FAT pig, I use front largest, rear smallest when possible and cycle on ROAD only, haha!

But if the 2.2k bike got bigger wheel, I think more worth as cover more distance in shorter time. My colleague also crazy on foldable bike, will to spend on it rather on a camera.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    Hmmm, hope nobody gets hurt. While it is good they review procedures, it is no good to go into a witch hunt just to answer to the public.

When that happen, it is always the guppies that got caught. Sharks are roaming in the open oceans.

If system got problems address them. Who approved them in the 1st place?
    It all began in EDMW, there's is a rather concentrated CSI effort over there.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

As ricohflex pointed out, the need for the bikes and the procurement process are separate issues.
    Anyway, that video on the news looked like a Brompton ad! You don't need to fold a bike to carry it up an overhead bridge, for goodness sake. And no, foldies are not necessarily lighter than traditional bikes -- the unconventional (non-diamond frame) construction means the structure needs to be beefed up, and the folding joint adds weight.
    The implied reason for foldies was solely to be able to take it on public transport. I don't think anyone has objected to that, only to the procedures followed (or possibly NOT followed)

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Last edited by Edwin Francis; 26th July 2012 at 01:40 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast