Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Heard of a $2.2k foldable bicycle?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Heard of a $2.2k foldable bicycle?

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    Don't forget the bicycle manufacturer
    FYI Brompton does not need this except maybe for publicity endorsement ..... there is already a global waiting list for their bikes
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    FYI Brompton does not need this except maybe for publicity endorsement ..... there is already a global waiting list for their bikes
    if so, then our NParks large order probably gets the go ahead first?
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

... there is already a global waiting list for their bikes
    so it mean it is a good bike and a good buy?

why buy those bike that cant keep up with demand?

if they can't even meet the demand then do you think they can keep up with the spare parts?

BTW, folding bike has more moving mechanism by welding, won't it be more prone to breaking apart?

why brompton?

when there are Polygon Urban, Dahon, canondale, ...

I hope they got budget for good bicycle locks, now that all the bike thieves know where the Bromptons are gonna be!

to all the people who complain about people complaining...
    which one of you have never complained before?

Hands up and own up!!!! you would be the pride of all singaporeans...of the world or something... cos
    frankly speaking i have never known one person who never complains ....

Replace National Parks (NParks) with Ministry of Manpower (MoM) and Brompton bicycles with Herman Miller chairs and it will be the same identical thread all over again.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images
    Replace National Parks (NParks) with Ministry of Manpower (MoM) and Brompton bicycles with Herman Miller chairs and it will be the same identical thread all over again.
    Looking from another angle, MND's $400k Marina Bay renaming exercise some yrs back makes all this little brompton n chair purchases look much more justified.

Actually it could be
    26 for NParks
    260 for Postman
    2600 for policeman
    26000 for education student and staff
    260000 for SAF INFANTRY navy airforce
    2600000 for all working Singaporean, foreign talents ,
    So who say brompton dont this 26 by NParks

National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan. He also said that Brompton was picked because only one vendor responded to the tender with a bid price lower than the listed retail price of the same bicycle.

Khaw defends NParks' purchase of $2,200 foldable bicycle

they why this guy who bid S$1 for the stall but need to go for 2nd round leh????

Vivian say the won $1 bid hawker gotta go for second round bidding..

Market stall in Ang Mo Kio receives S$1 bid - xinmsn News

TODAYonline | Hot News | Hawker and market rents fall after changes in tender process

why nobody initiate second bidding for the folding bike

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Complain, defending, argue...

in the end, what can you do about it?....

Absolutely NOTHING.
    The problem here is that besides complaining, what else did the Singaporeans do?

Absolutely NOTHING.
    D200

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    The problem here is that besides complaining, what else did the Singaporeans do?

Absolutely NOTHING.
    saying that we do nothing except complaining is also an act of complaining

Quote Originally Posted by pscion12 View Post

Sorry but your example don't pan out. You mean, a D7000 or 7D or even a K5 cannot handle the job compared to a higher spec camera? Furthermore the business of photography requires the use of a camera (duh....) and having a good one does in some way helps you but in no way guarantee a great picture. And also it is a business that requires to fund its own gears.

Compared this to the job of nparks people to, what I assume to be, doing checks, maintenance and repairs - which does not limit itself to the use of a bicycle does it? One can do it or foot, motorbike, scooter -> a motor-driven kick scooter, skateboard, rollerblade, etc. I think you get what I mean, it doesn't need a bicycle to do the job but a bicycle perhaps happens to be the most logical and most efficient way to do it (as an enthusiast I support it whole-heartedly). But in this case we owe it to ourself to ask whether spending 2.2k on a bicycle is worth it? This is the public's money. If we do proper due diligence before we purchase anything on ourself (to ensure that it is what we need, at the best possible price) why not this? Filter out all the crap and talking-**** on alot of the other forums, this seems to be the general consensus.

Yes I do know the quality of a bromptom, I've even considered buying one. Also te GT 2.0 is a a good value for money bike imo but all things considered after riding through the connector parks from Jurong all the way to East Coast park - on pavement, grass, on paved-roads, gravel which I think it would be very good for, I ended up buying a monotine single-speed (not their foldable bike but this) swapped out the default tires and so far so good and that after a year, with the occasional check and clean once a week, single-gear is so easy to maintain compared to my mtb with derailleurs. It is a good sturdy bike, light enough and for not much money - $150 infact (plus additional items). I bought it 2nd-hand off a guy who has ridden it pretty good.

And you gotta understand the knee-jerk reaction on gov spending after the recent fiasco.

And 10km/hr is 10km/hr no matter what bike u ride. It is a bike to do a job anyway, not to race.
    The intention was not to say if you can do a good job or not, just better equipment is to help to make the job Easier. It won't make you a better photographer or person.

Maybe you should apply for the job of a N-park officer and try out what they have to go thru before commenting that their job is easy

Maybe you have better riding skills compare to the N-park staff who can actually benefit from a gear system? not everyone is as fit as you!

Its a bike to do the job, a better bike makes it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Complain, defending, argue...

in the end, what can you do about it?....

Absolutely NOTHING.
    Well you can suck thumb hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Lets try not to make unfair comparisons of private purchases up against public purchases. There is almost always an abundance of overexpenditure on the earlier depending on how you see it.

You are not wrong. Technically a smaller wheel bicycle has its own advantages and speed will not be compromised. But the Npark officials will have a better ride handling uneven terrains with say 26" MTB or 700cc cyclocrosses or city bikes for instance.

Oh wait I forgot. One of the requirements being needing to fold and bring up public transports.
    Then again there is the beautiful IF Mode.
    Oh well, Police gets volvo/bmw/WRX and change of new cars every 1-2years, i think those would make these 26 bicycle looks like peanut...

EH wait, Peanut is 600k a year

but there's no uneven terrain for them to ride, they just need to ride around the park on the pavement (not too much of a challenge on a 16/20" wheeler) to carry out inspections or check on visitors.

I think the Nparks staff have been getting the cheapest equipment compared to the other departments. All the other departments are getting equipments amount to millions of dollars. But their work is no walk in the park like most people think, not really the walk in park water plants, pick up litters etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    If you think paying $2,200 for a bicycle for park usage is reasonable, I can only say that you are out of touch with money! maybe we have too much reserves!
    Totally agree with Canonised. If a minister can back nparks opinion that $2200 for a bicycle is reasonable, then the time has come for the middle class Singaporeans to be very afraid: soon *** ministers will say $8 chicken rice is cheap, $50 taxi fare is peanuts, $3 million CEO pay is just, 10% GST is low, $4 ERP is insufficient, and healthcare heart bypass is affordable at only $8...

Quote Originally Posted by mettaxu

Totally agree with Canonised. If a minister can back nparks opinion that $2200 for a bicycle is reasonable, then the time has come for the middle class Singaporeans to be very afraid: soon *** ministers will say $8 chicken rice is cheap, $50 taxi fare is peanuts, $3 million CEO pay is just, 10% GST is low, $4 ERP is insufficient, and healthcare heart bypass is affordable at only $8...
    Food for thought.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Just my 2 cents worth. Was talking with a friend who rides to work everyday on a foldie. She told me that a major factor was whether the servicing is included in the price. Reason being that most parts on the Brompton bike are PROPRIETARY, Aka. Cannot buy from anyone else except them. Hence it its quite ex.

lHonestly I have no idea how they came up with buying bromptons, which are the "branded" foldies, when a Pacific carry me could most likely suit their needs and cost about half the price.

Only advantage about Bromptons are that they are the most compact foldies of the lot. Correct me if I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Agetan

If Singapore Government buy cheap bikes... Singaporean say Wah... no standard...
    If Singapore Government buy mid-price bikes... Singaporean say Wah... neither here nor there..
    If Singapore Government buy expensive bikes... Singaporean say... Wah... why so expensive???

Either way, I think the Government say, stuff this... being call standard or neither here nor there, might as well get complaint as expensive right??? since either way... they will get complaint...

They do know what you are thinking... anything also complaint...
    I don't think that's true, what makes you think that Singaporean will complain when a cheaper bike was purchased? I for sure won't complain about that. Remember the thousand dollar chair case few years back? It's the case again of over spending on public money.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    Oh well, Police gets volvo/bmw/WRX and change of new cars every 1-2years, i think those would make these 26 bicycle looks like peanut...
    Lately alot of Hyundais.
    At least for my area.
    Probably having such jam packed roads nowadays , they no longer need high powered vehicles to do high speed chases.

Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    EH wait, Peanut is 600k a year
    Bro that was price of peanut in 2005. Now sure more

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast