Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Heard of a $2.2k foldable bicycle?

Default Re: Heard of a $2.2k foldable bicycle?

Quote Originally Posted by pscion12 View Post
    A waste of money, a standard bike with standard bicycle parts is cheaper and easier to maintain, plus with a cheaper bike, they should be able to buy extra bikes as spares, so very little downtime as you can swap the bikes while the faulty ones get fixed.
    Getting a brompton with small wheels? *facepalm and shakeheads...... I think it is better to get a hybrid or a mountain bike as they can ride off-road with those, plus some foldable mountain bikes cost cheaper.
    Please don't make the mistake of thinking cheap is bad. It depends on what and where you buy them. Those from Giant and Carrefour? Probably not. But bikes from the likes of Rodalink and even those Monotines are quite ok. Plus some even have disc brakes.
    It is one of those stupid decisions and stupid thought processes that tend to be endemic in stat/gov boards for which I have had the unfortunate luxury to have sat through a few times.
    I would have gone for cheaper bikes and a dynamo that can charge their smartphone/tablet or gps whatever. They can make use of this devices on their rounds/make reports, alert or notify back to their operations centre of any repairs/corrections that they need to do, all paperless, quick and efficient as well.
    But noooo..... 2.2k on bromptons...

I make this statement above as someone who is in IT, cycles to work and use the connector parks often.
    Actually thats not true, cheaper bikes break down more easily and end up with more maintenance cost. buying extra bikes as spare is not a good alternative as you'll need to provide parking space for these extra bikes. Cheap Bikes that are not ridden, rust pretty quickly if not kept indoors.

It's like a photographer spending thousands on a good camera which is weather proof. you don't tell a wedding photographer to buy a cheap camera and buy a few more as spare rather then get a good pro-camera right?

Have you ridden a bromptons before? your cheap bikes will have problem keeping up..

Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    Have you ridden a bromptons before? your cheap bikes will have problem keeping up..
    I thought how fast a bike goes is dependent on how fast the person pedals, not how much $ it cost ... hmmm. I have to go think about this again.
    NParks officer cycling brompton @ 10km/h faster than Foreign Worker cycling 2nd hand $50 bike at 15km/h...?

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    I thought how fast a bike goes is dependent on how fast the person pedals, not how much $ it cost ... hmmm. I have to go think about this again.
    NParks officer cycling brompton @ 10km/h faster than Foreign Worker cycling 2nd hand $50 bike at 15km/h...?
    I never ride a brompton but common sense tells me the gears will affect how fast you can cycle what....

But still I think the way the tender was awarded does not show due diligence at all... super bochap.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    expensive bikes are lighter, hence easier to paddle. that was why carbon fiber bikes are super expensive.
    Objection !!!

No need to pedal. Much cheaper. Non-polluting electric bikes approved by LTA and even have foldable models.
    Click here to see : Buy LTA Approved Electric Bicycle Here !!!
    Last edited by ricohflex; 7th July 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Actually thats not true, cheaper bikes break down more easily and end up with more maintenance cost. buying extra bikes as spare is not a good alternative as you'll need to provide parking space for these extra bikes. Cheap Bikes that are not ridden, rust pretty quickly if not kept indoors.

It's like a photographer spending thousands on a good camera which is weather proof. you don't tell a wedding photographer to buy a cheap camera and buy a few more as spare rather then get a good pro-camera right?

I wasn't talking about cheap or cheapo bikes per se. Like I said, I actually meant cheaper alternatives.

Sorry but your example don't pan out. You mean, a D7000 or 7D or even a K5 cannot handle the job compared to a higher spec camera? Furthermore the business of photography requires the use of a camera (duh....) and having a good one does in some way helps you but in no way guarantee a great picture. And also it is a business that requires to fund its own gears.

Compared this to the job of nparks people to, what I assume to be, doing checks, maintenance and repairs - which does not limit itself to the use of a bicycle does it? One can do it or foot, motorbike, scooter -> a motor-driven kick scooter, skateboard, rollerblade, etc. I think you get what I mean, it doesn't need a bicycle to do the job but a bicycle perhaps happens to be the most logical and most efficient way to do it (as an enthusiast I support it whole-heartedly). But in this case we owe it to ourself to ask whether spending 2.2k on a bicycle is worth it? This is the public's money. If we do proper due diligence before we purchase anything on ourself (to ensure that it is what we need, at the best possible price) why not this? Filter out all the crap and talking-**** on alot of the other forums, this seems to be the general consensus.

Yes I do know the quality of a bromptom, I've even considered buying one. Also te GT 2.0 is a a good value for money bike imo but all things considered after riding through the connector parks from Jurong all the way to East Coast park - on pavement, grass, on paved-roads, gravel which I think it would be very good for, I ended up buying a monotine single-speed (not their foldable bike but this) swapped out the default tires and so far so good and that after a year, with the occasional check and clean once a week, single-gear is so easy to maintain compared to my mtb with derailleurs. It is a good sturdy bike, light enough and for not much money - $150 infact (plus additional items). I bought it 2nd-hand off a guy who has ridden it pretty good.

And you gotta understand the knee-jerk reaction on gov spending after the recent fiasco.

And 10km/hr is 10km/hr no matter what bike u ride. It is a bike to do a job anyway, not to race.
    Last edited by pscion12; 7th July 2012 at 09:48 PM.

If Singapore Government buy cheap bikes... Singaporean say Wah... no standard...
    If Singapore Government buy mid-price bikes... Singaporean say Wah... neither here nor there..
    If Singapore Government buy expensive bikes... Singaporean say... Wah... why so expensive???

Either way, I think the Government say, stuff this... being call standard or neither here nor there, might as well get complaint as expensive right??? since either way... they will get complaint...

They do know what you are thinking... anything also complaint...

I own a brompton and with upgrade is currently ard 3.5K, got the raw larque at 2.7k .. 6 gears and some bike cant even catch up with a 16 inch wheeler .. U have to try it to believe, it not about the price, it is about who riding it ..
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

Blog Entries

Complain, defending, argue...

in the end, what can you do about it?....

Absolutely NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

Absolutely NOTHING.
    Agree with you but not fully still can do something about it but have to wait for 5yrs later....
    Vote correctly loh.......
    D80|50mm f1.4|Raynox DCR 250|Sigma 105mm|

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    No need to pedal. Much cheaper. Non-polluting electric bikes approved by LTA and even have foldable models.
    Click here to see : Buy LTA Approved Electric Bicycle Here !!!
    Love the Xiao Ding Dang
    D80|50mm f1.4|Raynox DCR 250|Sigma 105mm|

The only reason why such expensive bicycles were bought is simply because ALL our government departments and ministries have too much monies. If our government does not have such massive reserves, do you think the officers will consider such expensive purchases? Just 1 COE collected is enough to pay for this purchase!
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

Absolutely NOTHING.

at least managed to get khaw boon wan attention and commitment / endorsement

National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan has defended National Parks Board's (NParks) decision to purchase the Brompton foldable bikes for its officers

Khaw defends NParks' purchase of $2,200 foldable bicycle

According to the Lianhe Zaobao report where the NParks purchase was first reported, a police officer's bicycle costs about $1,000 while Singapore Post's postmen use bicycles which cost about $500.

i think the Policeman and postman deserve a better bike than NParks man.

Agree on this. We spend $1,000,000,000 on some park in the bay. We have close to $200,000,000,000 in reserves. We can have tax surplus of $8,000,000,000. The young can easily spend $2-3K on a camera or lens, laptop, mobile phones & what have we. We got class & are world class, so whats $2,000 a bike as far as the govt concerned? There will always be enough justifications to go around. Gone are the days when we have to think twice/thrice before buying anything, try to scrimp & save a bit here & there. That frugal generation is unfortunately lost forever... As an example, many people in the past (the more fortunate ones) only had chicken drumstick twice a year, on their birthdays & CNY. Now we can have chicken every day! And with all the easy loans available, esp on housing, we sold our future for what we enjoy today. Only the govt can laugh when all the 99 years lease on HDB runs out So spend spend spend, the economy needs it. And we can even give out free scholarships to foreigners who contributes nothing here etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    The only reason why such expensive bicycles were bought is simply because ALL our government departments and ministries have too much monies. If our government does not have such massive reserves, do you think the officers will consider such expensive purchases? Just 1 COE collected is enough to pay for this purchase!
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 8th July 2012 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post

at least managed to get khaw boon wan attention and commitment / endorsement

National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan has defended National Parks Board's (NParks) decision to purchase the Brompton foldable bikes for its officers

Khaw defends NParks' purchase of $2,200 foldable bicycle

According to the Lianhe Zaobao report where the NParks purchase was first reported, a police officer's bicycle costs about $1,000 while Singapore Post's postmen use bicycles which cost about $500.

I think the Policeman and postman deserve a better bike than NParks man.
    If NParks get away with this overly expensive and unjustified purchase, the Police and Postman will up the ante and follow suit to buy even more expensive bikes in the future.

The authorities should look into NParks tendering process and check if anyone had profited from this purchase.
    NPark should be reminded that it is public funds that they are using and should be use carefully and conservatively.

Lets try not to make unfair comparisons of private purchases up against public purchases. There is almost always an abundance of overexpenditure on the earlier depending on how you see it.

You are not wrong. Technically a smaller wheel bicycle has its own advantages and speed will not be compromised. But the Npark officials will have a better ride handling uneven terrains with say 26" MTB or 700cc cyclocrosses or city bikes for instance.

Oh wait I forgot. One of the requirements being needing to fold and bring up public transports.
    Then again there is the beautiful IF Mode.

Quote Originally Posted by canonmono
    I own a brompton and with upgrade is currently ard 3.5K, got the raw larque at 2.7k .. 6 gears and some bike cant even catch up with a 16 inch wheeler .. U have to try it to believe, it not about the price, it is about who riding it ..
    Yeah we all know how good Brompton is. The argument is whether Nparks rangers need to have this bike or not.

The bike is fast. Yes, but rangers needs the speed for??

If it's the police force buys Brompton for law enforcement in neighborhood patrols, I totally support

LoL, security guards at Gardens by the Bay using Polaris Ranger Crew All-Terrain vehicle (ATV).

S$20,000.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 9th July 2012 at 03:48 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Blog Entries

These bikes are for the regular park workers to use....not ministers and VIPs

So let the poor rangers and workers at NParks at least enjoy a good ride ..... God only knows the kind of salary they get to work under the hot sun and in pouring rain to keep our parks beautiful and in tip top shape for us to enjoy

With growing number of bicycle trails , growing number of cycling activities and now NParks Brompton bikes.... this can only bode well for the growing local cycling community

Now lets go complain about the F-15s, Apaches, Mercedes Benz and Range Rovers that the Army and Air Force uses instead of cheaper China versions military aircraft and vehicles shall we ? Lots more money involved there
    Last edited by ed9119; 9th July 2012 at 04:07 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    With growing number of bicycle trails , growing number of cycling activities and now Brompton bikes.... this bodes well for the cycling community
    Don't forget the bicycle manufacturer

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast