Thread: Extension tube for macro

Exclamation Extension tube for macro

Hi,

I was introduced a extension tube for taking macro pics at TCW.
    It basically fitted between the lens and the body.
    It extent the lens out to get a much closer focusing distance.

Like to get feedback on this item - it is good?
    Is the quality of the pics affected?

...........ccc

Read about it somewhere, thinking of buying one to try.

1. Reduces focusing distance, but also the focusing range. Hence you will need to move around more to focus if you cannot reach it.

2. You are moving the lense away from the film/sensor, therefore you use more of the centre of the lense, but your lense ability to resolve details decreases the more you move away from the film/sensor. But I doubt you will really see it useless you do a detail comparison. Who cares if your photo if great? A little degrade is unavoidable but not to the extend of noticable. Photography is about pictures not equipment.

3. Lost of light is just the same as with extenders like the 1.4x and 2x from Canon. I read that the original EF 12 II and EF 25 II can make auto adjustment on the camera, hence no need to compensate for the light lost (for Canon cameras here).

4. Can be used so that an original extender can be used on non-L series Lenses.
    Last edited by theITguy; 19th January 2005 at 04:14 PM.

thanks for your feedback. it is good info.
    i was waiting for some answers like that. prior to this, it's only a gut feeling the quality will suffer but no idea how (technically).

is the the loss of light an issue? the metering is done thru the lens. when light is lower due to the extender, the metering will auto compensate right?

it's definitely a cheap alternative to start shooting marco.
    a step further towards hardcore macro, will burn a hole in my pocket for a macro lens...

Cons:

1. Quite troublesome to use. (IMO, and YMMV) You also expose the sensor a lot more with frequent mount/dismounts (read: dirty sensor). No issue with film though. Of course, in macro photography, where one usually stops down, the sensor dust is quite visible.

2. Usually lose infinity focus. Meaning that if the tube was on and something happens in the distance, you have to *very quickly* dismount the tube, which, i have mentioned in point (1) above, is quite troublesome.

3. Actually quite expensive for something with NO glass. i believe the original Canon tubes go for $200+?

The metering is only an issue if you're using an external light meter.

Try the multiple coated close up lense, or even single coated ones. Another cheap way to get macro. Granted the lense are not the top quality, but photography is never cheap in the first place. If the idea is to learn then start with cheaper close lense then to better ones, if you got the spare money go for the macro lense.

Well, I got a friend who just return the extender tube and top up some more cash to get a Macros Lens. It seems like it is not easy to use the extender. He have to manually move towards and away from the subject to get a good focus. Any slight movement on the subject will post great difficulty in getting a good focus.

Can go for a cheap tamron Macro Lens. A 90mm F/2.8 DI lens is only about $570.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning
    Well, I got a friend who just return the extender tube and top up some more cash to get a Macros Lens. It seems like it is not easy to use the extender. He have to manually move towards and away from the subject to get a good focus. Any slight movement on the subject will post great difficulty in getting a good focus.

Can go for a cheap tamron Macro Lens. A 90mm F/2.8 DI lens is only about $570.
    I have the tamron 90mm macro lens.. It's a great macro lens; good details, sharpness and colours.. But don't forget, it's still 90mm..
    Sony a7rii + Batis 2/25
    Gitzo 1530 + Markins Q3

hmm..... so tempting to buy a tamron 90mm......

esp with this review :
    http://iapf.physik.tu-berlin.de/jboh...Macro100E.html