Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering ... whats the best dslr system for beginner with low budget ...

If new to this hobby... I don't see why there is a need to go the route of DSLR if budget is constraint. I see nothing wrong or "lose face" to use a film SLR. If I had more money and less hobbies I would still keep my film SLRs along with my DSLR. unforutnately I had to make a choice when I went digital. And I think this guy needs to choose too. Who knows what other constraint he/she had as well if already for now the budget is limited.
    film also not cheap what... maybe if you used a holga/lomo...heheh..

just wondering .. olympus e-10? .. $450 ... fixed lens(4x), no dust problem ... it is a dslr right? ... only can't change lens .. whats your views on it?

Olympus e-10 is a pretty ok camera, might want to look at Minolta or Canon, these 2 give you a lot more freedom such as AP, SP, Exposure metering etc. Not sure if Olympus e-10 has these features, do check it out at http://www.dpreview.com before making decision.

Most of the time, it is not a camera that takes good picture, it is you. It is about exploring your conceptual ability to compose, and any camera will be suitable, it is only a tool to help you, that's abt it.

Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    film also not cheap what... maybe if you used a holga/lomo...heheh..
    Film camera can be cheap and good. Take for example a good condition Nikon FM2n will just cost u less than $450 and it will last u for many good years to come!

yeah, but in this case, if you say a D30 vs a Fm2n with a 200 price difference,

how much developing cost + film cost is $200 worth (how many shots?) I dunno, don't touch film at all..

Seriously, i think for an amateur, starting with FM than a D30 will help. It helps you to get used to the settings and the various outcome using a fully manual camera, rather than today's easy point and shoot camera, which will not help one to know the more important things to just point and shoot, like exposure, AP, SP, focusing, composition etc.

Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    yeah, but in this case, if you say a D30 vs a Fm2n with a 200 price difference,

how much developing cost + film cost is $200 worth (how many shots?) I dunno, don't touch film at all..
    You can't compare this way la...
    A DSLR will last you for how many years and a manual film camera will last you for how many years you never seems to calculate le....you only think memory card (CF card) can let you shoot like mad and no need to pay for developing.
    Thats not the right way to do calculation la...

Quote Originally Posted by macfreak
    Seriously, i think for an amateur, starting with FM than a D30 will help. It helps you to get used to the settings and the various outcome using a fully manual camera, rather than today's easy point and shoot camera, which will not help one to know the more important things to just point and shoot, like exposure, AP, SP, focusing, composition etc.
    Seriously, many people does not realise that lo...many ppl are thinking of getting more technology onto the equipment itself.
    For me, I would rather go the hard way..learn to understand more about photography rather than spending tons of money on buying equipment's AI!

That's true... people these days are more attracted to high end prosumer SLR and dSLR, forgetting the fundamentals of photography and the laws of composition. It is about shoot shoot shoot, and i guess only those who have used manual SLR, will learn it a better way. Still holding onto my FM which is simply a classic.

That's true... people these days are more attracted to high end prosumer SLR and dSLR, forgetting the fundamentals of photography and the laws of composition. It is about shoot shoot shoot, and i guess only those who have used manual SLR, will learn it a better way. Still holding onto my FM which is simply a classic.
    I guess you also learn things the hard way b4 rite?
    Yeah man, FM is a classic camera that will outlast any digital camera, no doubt about that!

Yup, used to be in the CAVC and then in the photographic society in uni. Been using manual SLR from FM to Minolta Dynax, and then to Nikon F80 and F100. just switched to canon Ixus s500 and a D70.

Yup, used to be in the CAVC and then in the photographic society in uni. Been using manual SLR from FM to Minolta Dynax, and then to Nikon F80 and F100. just switched to canon Ixus s500 and a D70.
    ICIC! Nice to know ya!

thanks! same here.

err? .. so whats the concensus?

if u really want a really minimal setup....2k...

to get the complete package.... prepare at least 5k....

Quote Originally Posted by Expiredyoghurt
    just wondering .. olympus e-10? .. $450 ... fixed lens(4x), no dust problem ... it is a dslr right? ... only can't change lens .. whats your views on it?
    u might want to check out about the dead pixels issue on this e-10 before buying it.. lots of people had this problem.

So you guys consider people who start off from digital inferior to most people, and most likely have no composition skills?

canon d30

u will still need a few thousand bucks in order to play with DSLRs

thanks for all the feed back ... and personally ... i think learning on a digital cam ... is fine .. as long as

1)it has enough manual functions
    2)the person WANTS to learn
    3)it has enough optical zoom and the person WANTS to learn framing properly ...

so whats YOUR concensus on the topic in matter?
    Budget wedding photographer :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast