Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommend Camera can take kids photo fast and small and compact

Default Re: Recommend Camera can take kids photo fast and small and compact

I havent found the answer. Just to share that I've used Lumix LX-5 and Ixus240HS to shoot my kids. Not good when they are really moving and especially indoor. The shutter lag, frame rate, autofocus and flash recycling cannot keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillibomber View Post
    I havent found the answer. Just to share that I've used Lumix LX-5 and Ixus240HS to shoot my kids. Not good when they are really moving and especially indoor. The shutter lag, frame rate, autofocus and flash recycling cannot keep up.
    so slim camera with F2.0 does not help?
    Digital IXUS 310 HS
    It's also packed with rich features like an F2.0 bright lens
    you can set Shutter priority and Aperture priority
    Newbie in photography.
    OMD EM-5, 12-50mm

Faster lenses help in the sense that you can shoot indoors at a faster shutter speed (at a given ISO level), thus reducing handshake blur and motion blur. Say you use a lousy point n shoot indoors,the IAuto mode will result in slower shutter speeds, so kids running around will be blur, or your hand shaking will cause the pic to look blur. with faster lens and faster shutter speeds, easier to 'freeze' the in-motion kid ...

But eliminating such blur is one thing, getting the subject in focus is another. If you want to take nice in-focus pics of kids indoors, get a dslr or cameras with phase detect autofocus (Nex with LAEA2 adapters or Nikon V1 (not entirely good)) or w good Contrast Detect Autofocus like olympus OMD). If you don't want dslr, then shoot outdoors.... Or shoot static shots indoors. Photography is a lot about understanding the limitations of yourself and your camera n finding the right balance of factors. That's life.

Quote Originally Posted by steventay View Post
    so slim camera with F2.0 does not help?
    Digital IXUS 310 HS
    It's also packed with rich features like an F2.0 bright lens
    you can set Shutter priority and Aperture priority
    It is not whether your camera is slim or bulky or what. And f2.0 lens do help in low light condition. The main thing is the AF system here... and how fast you can lock on focus to your subject. Some cameras might have very very large aperture, but AF is only so-so or downright suck, you still will not be able to capture your subject. The only thing is that you can allow more light to your sensor at any given time and so increase shutter speed (that is, if you manage to lock on focus).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

I feel that they are just not quick enough when the kids are really moving. You probably have to look at minimum mirrorless camera (if dslr is not your choice). Gives you better hit rate. Having said that, i always have my ixus240hs tucked ard somewhere to catch little moments. It still beat shooting with mobile phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillibomber
    I feel that they are just not quick enough when the kids are really moving. You probably have to look at minimum mirrorless camera (if dslr is not your choice). Gives you better hit rate. Having said that, i always have my ixus240hs tucked ard somewhere to catch little moments. It still beat shooting with mobile phones.
    The faster lens helps with higher shutter speed to minimize movement blur. The bigger issue is not being able to trigger the shutter due to focusing lock.

One solution is to use a wide lens which you will need for indoors anyway. Turn off autofocus n set to the approx distance n shoot like a pns.

The other is a camera with fast focus but it'll either be never fast enough or you just can't target n frame fast enough.

A pns won't fill yr needs unless it has manual focus.

Last edited by steventay; 24th July 2012 at 02:13 PM.
    Newbie in photography.
    OMD EM-5, 12-50mm

Actually, i am using s95 to take my kids. No issue.
    Just set to shutter priority above 1/100s without enable flash.
    Keep shooting, miss a few is ok right.
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

Quote Originally Posted by steventay
    my Ixus is a super old model... Ixus 70

which ultra compact camera can do all this?

Don't like fuji brand.

Prefer more reliable brand like Sony, Panasonic, Canon, Nikon
    U r contradicting. Say don't like Sony, now say prefer Sony. What is it that u don't like Sony? U ever try Sony before?

Just offering my 2 cents...

Like what many people in the thread have mentioned, fast lens is a must (at least f2.0?) but the real problem is getting the autofocus to work on your kids, who are probably moving too fast for the autofocus system in most compacts to work for you (but don't worry, I won't be asking you to tie them up :P).

From what I've been reading in the thread, you seem to be looking for a camera made perfectly for your needs. There is no perfect camera in the world, so you have to prioritise what you want and find a balance between them. If you're looking for a fast autofocus system, you shouldn't be looking at compacts, rather you should be looking at mirrorless cameras and fast lenses. If you think the size of the camera is really important, then you'll have to sacrifice a bit on the autofocus side if you get a compact camera. The better the system you get, the more you'll have to pay, which might be more than you are comfortable with forking out.

You have a lot of people in the thread trying to help you. It might be good to give us more details of what exactly you prioritise and what you are willing to compromise on to make life easier for all of us. Also stuff like your budget and specific brands you will consider.
    Last edited by metzalx; 25th July 2012 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metzalx View Post
    Just offering my 2 cents...

Like what many people in the thread have mentioned, fast lens is a must (at least f2.0?) but the real problem is getting the autofocus to work on your kids, who are probably moving too fast for the autofocus system in most compacts to work for you (but don't worry, I won't be asking you to tie them up :P).

From what I've been reading in the thread, you seem to be looking for a camera made perfectly for your needs. There is no perfect camera in the world, so you have to prioritise what you want and find a balance between them. If you're looking for a fast autofocus system, you shouldn't be looking at compacts, rather you should be looking at mirrorless cameras and fast lenses. If you think the size of the camera is really important, then you'll have to sacrifice a bit on the autofocus side if you get a compact camera. The better the system you get, the more you'll have to pay, which might be more than you are comfortable with forking out.
    Keeping this thread alive as I believe there are many parents out there who are lurking on this forum trying to find out why their iphones and ixus and other compact cameras are ruining the childhood memories with sh1tty photos.

The advice given above is solid.

Mirrorless cameras are a boon for parents everywhere! With young kids and babies where you need to carry 10kg of diapers, formula, hot water, bottles, change of clothes etc etc etc...the last thing you want is another heavy baggage in the form of a dslr.

I personally have the J1 with the FT1 adapter and the standard kit lens (10-30mm and 30-110mm) plus an additional 50mm f1.8G.

It all fits in a small camera pouch which even my wife doesn't complain about!

But you have to realise the limitations of the Nikon 1 - with the 50mm lens, it is so, so good with portrait shots of my kids in bright sunlight! They can be doing cartwheels and I can still capture a sharp, clear image of their smiling faces! Something no Ixus or other compact camera can ever do because the autofocus of the J1 and V1 are just that fast!

But on the other hand, indoors, at night - I don't even bother taking photos of my kids - 75% of the pics will have blurry faces - they could be yawning and the shots will be blurry! That is my one big regret of the J1.

I don't know if there are other mirrorless cameras out there that can handle night/lowlight shots brilliantly - maybe the Olympus OMD or EP-3...but I have never used those - I will leave it to the other pros to provide insights - I believe there are other parents of young kiddos here who use the OMD.

Quote Originally Posted by klim828

Keeping this thread alive as I believe there are many parents out there who are lurking on this forum trying to find out why their iphones and ixus and other compact cameras are ruining the childhood memories with sh1tty photos.

The advice given above is solid.

Mirrorless cameras are a boon for parents everywhere! With young kids and babies where you need to carry 10kg of diapers, formula, hot water, bottles, change of clothes etc etc etc...the last thing you want is another heavy baggage in the form of a dslr.

I personally have the J1 with the FT1 adapter and the standard kit lens (10-30mm and 30-110mm) plus an additional 50mm f1.8G.

It all fits in a small camera pouch which even my wife doesn't complain about!

But you have to realise the limitations of the Nikon 1 - with the 50mm lens, it is so, so good with portrait shots of my kids in bright sunlight! They can be doing cartwheels and I can still capture a sharp, clear image of their smiling faces! Something no Ixus or other compact camera can ever do because the autofocus of the J1 and V1 are just that fast!

But on the other hand, indoors, at night - I don't even bother taking photos of my kids - 75% of the pics will have blurry faces - they could be yawning and the shots will be blurry! That is my one big regret of the J1.

I don't know if there are other mirrorless cameras out there that can handle night/lowlight shots brilliantly - maybe the Olympus OMD or EP-3...but I have never used those - I will leave it to the other pros to provide insights - I believe there are other parents of young kiddos here who use the OMD.
    Just trying to clear things up here. I dunno how fast is the AF on the Nikon 1 system but you're confusing AF speed with shutter speed when you say you get blurry shots of your kids at night when they were nice & sharp in the day.

Let's be clear here n say that even high end mirrorless/dSLRs will produce blurry photos in low light if you don't pump up the ISO or use flash. The reason your J1 is producing blurry photos at night is becos there's not enough light & you're still stuck at the lower ISO - buying the new OMD will not help with that.

Sony RX100.
    Alpha

Deregistered

Get a entry level DSLR and a speedlight for bounce flash will do for taking indoor shoot on kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae
    Sony RX100.
    +1 to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Sony RX100.
    Can someone take an indoor shot with kids using this? Somewhere like Fidgets would be ideal! Would really like to see how this camera performs under that condition!

Quote Originally Posted by klim828 View Post
    Can someone take an indoor shot with kids using this? Somewhere like Fidgets would be ideal! Would really like to see how this camera performs under that condition!
    Try lor...

All cameras can take kids of pics indoors. If you can't it's not the camera, it's you.
    Alpha

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123