Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: exposur compensation

  1. #1

    Default exposur compensation

    Hi Bros / Sis

    i have a question about exposure compensation

    if i am in manual mode ...

    what is the use of exposure compensation whereby i can just drop the shutter speed +1 / +2 stops or -1 / -2 stops
    to make image darker or brighter ?

    Confused
    Just Shoot It ...

  2. #2

    Default Re: exposur compensation

    Exposure compensation is for modes such as Av, Tv or P (not sure if it works in full AUTO or scene modes -- I don't use those), where the camera sets one or more parameters for you.
    In Manual, you're setting everything (aperture, shutter speed and ISO) yourself -- compensate manually by adjusting one or more of those settings.

    BTW, all this should be in your manual.

  3. #3

    Default Re: exposur compensation

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    Exposure compensation is for modes such as Av, Tv or P (not sure if it works in full AUTO or scene modes -- I don't use those), where the camera sets one or more parameters for you.
    In Manual, you're setting everything (aperture, shutter speed and ISO) yourself -- compensate manually by adjusting one or more of those settings.

    BTW, all this should be in your manual.
    In manual mode it acts more like a guide - let's say you want to shoot 1 stop underexposed. So if you're in manual mode and you set AE to -1 then the metering will be "correct" for the 1 stop underexposure you want. Helps keep consistent exposure as lighting changes.
    Alpha

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    Exposure compensation only alter the meter reading in manual exposure mode. That is all.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #5
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: exposur compensation

    Quote Originally Posted by fatBozZ View Post
    Hi Bros / Sis

    i have a question about exposure compensation

    if i am in manual mode ...

    what is the use of exposure compensation whereby i can just drop the shutter speed +1 / +2 stops or -1 / -2 stops
    to make image darker or brighter ?

    Confused
    EV compensation do not work in manual for some brands/systems. For Nikon at least, it works in M mode. And it does nothing to affect your exposure in M mode. All it does, is skew your meter reading...

  6. #6
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: exposur compensation

    TS: please state your camera model and maker. Different systems have different options. Canon does not have it at all in Manual. The respective button is used for adjusting shutter or aperture. Which means (in general): the exposure compensation works in the way that YOU set the shutter speed, aperture or ISO (or any combination) accordingly. Requires understanding of metering modes, though.
    EOS

  7. #7

    Default Re: exposur compensation

    Quote Originally Posted by fatBozZ View Post
    Hi Bros / Sis

    i have a question about exposure compensation

    if i am in manual mode ...

    what is the use of exposure compensation whereby i can just drop the shutter speed +1 / +2 stops or -1 / -2 stops
    to make image darker or brighter ?

    Confused
    Sure you can drop or increase the shutter speed. The question is, after adjusting your shutter speed, are you still able to get to freeze action, or go for creativity or go for long shutter speeds effects that you want?
    Last edited by Bodhisattva; 3rd July 2012 at 01:13 AM.
    Canon EOS

  8. #8

    Default Re: exposur compensation

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Sure you can drop or increase the shutter speed. The question is, after adjusting your shutter speed, are you still able to get to freeze action, or go for creativity or go for long shutter speeds effects that you want?
    That's not what he's asking. Please don't muddle the question.
    Alpha

  9. #9

    Default Re: exposur compensation

    oh my bad...misinterpret the question.
    Canon EOS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •