Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KangRinpoche Professional Ballhead

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    KT just realised we were all wrong about the weight. NB3 only weight 350g and max load of 15kg ?? not the one you mentioned. That was for the NB1.
    I am interested !!.
    Well I'll be damn... 350g with 15kg Max Load?... tat sounds promissing...
    If this info reach me before I got my Acratech UB ......

Hei dennis, go get one lar... replace ur M-10 nicely... and bring to NUG one day... I come and play play again...

No My Markins will remain on my Tripot but this one can go on a monopod.

Quote Originally Posted by RossChang
    Well I'll be damn... 350g with 15kg Max Load?... tat sounds promissing...
    If this info reach me before I got my Acratech UB ......

Hei dennis, go get one lar... replace ur M-10 nicely... and bring to NUG one day... I come and play play again...

Hmmm.. looks interesting.

NB-2, weight 520g, load upto 32kg, price on wesbite if in Yuan ~SGD330

NB-3, weight 350g, load upto 15kg, price ~SGD290

KT what was the CP price for the NB-3 ?

I was handling NB-1 yesterday at Cathay Photo, didn't know the existence of other plates like NB-2 and NB-3 until I check the website last night.

The NB-1 cost $597 including one Wimberly plate.
    Last edited by King Tiger; 19th January 2005 at 11:39 PM.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    KT just realised we were all wrong about the weight. NB3 only weight 350g and max load of 15kg ?? not the one you mentioned. That was for the NB1.
    I am interested !!.
    Sorry guys, I just came to realise my typo error on this thread.
    What I mentioned was my handling on NB-1 at Cathay Photo, not NB-3.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry
    Hmmm.. looks interesting.
    NB-2, weight 520g, load upto 32kg, price on wesbite if in Yuan ~SGD330
    B-3, weight 350g, load upto 15kg, price ~SGD290
    KT what was the CP price for the NB-3 ?
    For what i known, Cathay Photo is not selling NB-3, only NB-2 at about $525 (if I remember correctly) and NB-1 at $597 including one Wimberly plate.
    Last edited by King Tiger; 20th January 2005 at 01:00 AM.

China seems to be making lots of good accessories now-a-days.... wondering whether these could be joint ventures with the big guys other there?

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    China seems to be making lots of good accessories now-a-days.... wondering whether these could be joint ventures with the big guys other there?
    But the prices seem quite on the high side for China accessories. Might as well get the M-10 or even the TI version.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    But the prices seem quite on the high side for China accessories. Might as well get the M-10 or even the TI version.
    The price of KangRinpoche Ballhead is slightly cheaper than M-10 if you compare side by side.

Ok, Price aside.

I found that KangRinpoche NB-1 is readly really good in handling than M-10. (this is just my personal point of views)
    It have stronger friction control and the plate at the hot shoe is longer than M-10 which provide more stability. (Of course, M-10 is also very stability)
    Not sure how to put in words to describe, the best is go down to Cathay Photo, check with the staff, hands on and compare both.

The main drawback I can see is it is 220 gram heavier than Markins M-10, which I agree with what AJ23 and Garion have said, get a good light ballhead.
    Also, for some whom dislike big items, KangRinpoche NB-1 is slight bigger than M-10.
    Last edited by King Tiger; 20th January 2005 at 11:41 AM.

Has anyone bought this ballhead and can provide a user report ?

I'm looking for a light ballhead, and was hankering for a Markins M10 when this came along ... the build looks quite good, and the price ($525 inclusive of Wimberley P-5 universal plate) is definitely attractive.

But when I checked it out, CP did not have an M10 there and I could not compare them side-by-side. Was looking at the smaller one, I think the NB-2 ... the NB-1 is too big, IMHO, sort of like an Arca-Swiss B1.

Quote Originally Posted by ericp

I'm looking for a light ballhead, and was hankering for a Markins M10 when this came along ... the build looks quite good, and the price ($525 inclusive of Wimberley P-5 universal plate) is definitely attractive.

But when I checked it out, CP did not have an M10 there and I could not compare them side-by-side. Was looking at the smaller one, I think the NB-2 ... the NB-1 is too big, IMHO, sort of like an Arca-Swiss B1.
    Hur? Markins M10 525 inclusive of Wimberley P-5?... where when?....

Quote Originally Posted by RossChang
    Hur? Markins M10 525 inclusive of Wimberley P-5?... where when?....
    No lah, it's the KRP for that price. Otherwise I also grab already.

Yo ericp
    I got the KangRinpoche NB-1 ballhead and happy with it.
    Handling is nice and VERY firm.
    Try it and ask the CP staff at Marina Square about this ballhead.

If you are looking for the light ballhead, NB-2 is about 200 grams lighter which is almost the same weight with Markins M10, but weightload wise Markins M10 is the winner.
    CP Marina got one set of Markins M10 last week at $545 excluding the Wimberely plate (cost $125)
    KangRinpoche NB-2 is selling at $525 with free Wimberely plate.

Ultimately, it is best you go down, hands on personally and decide yourself.
    You will know which one is better.
    Last edited by King Tiger; 2nd February 2005 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks for the info, KT ... I didn't have time that day to really check it out, but will do so soon.

Just popped by for a while, spoke to Steven, and the story gets more interesting ... the ballhead's friction gets progressively tighter as the QR assembly is moved off center, like an Arca-Swiss B1. I asked Steven whether the ball is elliptical, and he said that it was (not sure if it was a guess or whether he had actual info), but to me it doesn't feel like a Markins, AUB or Kirk.

I think he's only got NB-1s left (the largest one), and not sure when the next shipment will come in.

KT, is your experience with this ballhead consistent with what I observed ? Steven reckons that the NB-2 behaves the same way, which is quite good, means that even with the locking knob loosened, your gear won't just flop over on the ballhead, the progressive friction should stop it at some stage.

Just popped by for a while, spoke to Steven, and the story gets more interesting ... the ballhead's friction gets progressively tighter as the QR assembly is moved off center, like an Arca-Swiss B1. I asked Steven whether the ball is elliptical, and he said that it was (not sure if it was a guess or whether he had actual info), but to me it doesn't feel like a Markins, AUB or Kirk.
    I think he's only got NB-1s left (the largest one), and not sure when the next shipment will come in.
    KT, is your experience with this ballhead consistent with what I observed ? Steven reckons that the NB-2 behaves the same way, which is quite good, means that even with the locking knob loosened, your gear won't just flop over on the ballhead, the progressive friction should stop it at some stage.
    Have the NB-2 sold out? So fast.

The design of KangRinpoche NB-1 is almost idential to Arca Swiss B1 ballhead, so it would be elliptical ball.
    My experience to date is the ballhead is consistent and good. Additionally, the quality is stronger built (I would dare to say very very strong) and good finishing.
    The quick-release clamp, Progressive friction control and panning knob turn well smoothly. There are number indication from 1 to 10 (which Markins do not have) at the Friction control knob, so that you can adjust the tighten and loosen of the ballhead to operate smoothly, with the additional assistance of number guide to assist you (an additional plus point).

The longer design of plate length and bigger ballhead provide good gravity-to-support for our DSLR/lense mounting.

means that even with the locking knob loosened, your gear won't just flop over on the ballhead, the progressive friction should stop it at some stage.
    When set at "0", with friction adjust knob totally loosen, the ballhead is loosen (do take note), though there is still some form of friction control, set to "2" or "3" would be the safetly level depending on the weight of your setup during adjustment.
    Last edited by King Tiger; 4th February 2005 at 10:33 AM.

I'm quite interested in KangRinpoche NB-2 or NB-3. Any idea if other shops sells this ballhead?

Deregistered

very interesting, yet irritating to know there's yet ANOTHER high end product that probably went through reverse engineering to be made in china.

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    very interesting, yet irritating to know there's yet ANOTHER high end product that probably went through reverse engineering to be made in china.
    Same or better quality with a lower price, why not?... Plus, china with it's weak yuen, have a HUGE advantage over other country in export. This also means that you are not paying all the exchange overhead by buying china products... why not?...

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan

why not?
    customers always on the winning side with the rising competition

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast