Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gone everything Gone!

Default Re: Gone everything Gone!

shut dap every, i am the real phd

primaryschool-havent- done
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    How do you know after X years, all the information in the whole surface of the DVD or CD or BLURAY is readable? It doesn't matter how good you protect them, the question is how you know they are accessible when you need them?
    Yup.

With current developments of the Space Launch System (SLS) under way following the cancellation of the Constellation Program, even NASA found themselves unable to retrieve some valuable engineering blueprints of the Saturn V Expandable Launch Vehicle (ELV) possibly along with massive amount of telemetry downlinked data and statistics that have been painstakingly recorded in every single Apollo missions and stored away in hundreds of thousands of magnetic tapes for future reference purposes as the necessary hardware and software required to access and interpret these informations are either obsolete or no longer compatible with each other. Considering most of such hardware and software are proprietary in nature, you may even have problems opening some Canon / Nikon image file formats encapsulated with JPEG data stream in the near future.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 4th July 2012 at 11:50 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

In 1981 we were using 5 floppy disks. In 2012 they were long obsolete.
    In 2012 we use DVDs. In 2045, will DVDs not be obsolete? Never mind. Some of us will be dead by 2045.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok

How do you know after X years, all the information in the whole surface of the DVD or CD or BLURAY is readable? It doesn't matter how good you protect them, the question is how you know they are accessible when you need them?
    Never heard of backward compatible? Even blu ray drives can read CD but their speed only faster. If not, how they want consumers get their products if it has limited usage? Unless disc totally replace by thumbdrive but chances are slim. X yrs, maybe i become ashes, ha ha!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    In 1981 we were using 5 floppy disks. In 2012 they were long obsolete.
    In 2012 we use DVDs. In 2045, will DVDs not be obsolete? Never mind. Some of us will be dead by 2045.
    I still got 360k 5 1/4 floppy for memory. Also got the drive, unless got ide, i think it still workable. Game nowadays mostly dl from server even you got the disc. Then they provide you the code. I rmb when i want to install a game from floppy, if one down, whole game is gone too.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Thanks guys for the inputs (this is the place i can trust for advice) my photos back... last evening when i install PC inspector to check see how much i can recover...to my surprise i plug in my hdd the photos are all there! paiseh... sounds like a false alarm but that time when i try to click my folders inside hdd all got nothing and show 0mb all my folders also like same...after awhile the empty folders like disappear n can't even click in.... felt so lost didn't know what to do...just ejected it and leave it... should have plug in and see again!
    But then really dun understand how in the first place my hdd folders can disappear! When last evening i try to plug it in for checking suddenly everything is back in order... yay.....!!! n phew....
    Hmm... is this due to my USB Port? For all the time i use the same port nothing happen till last 2 times!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    But then really dun understand how in the first place my hdd folders can disappear! When last evening i try to plug it in for checking suddenly everything is back in order... yay.....!!! n phew....
    Hmm... is this due to my USB Port? For all the time i use the same port nothing happen till last 2 times!
    next time check the disk management. sometime the drive letter could have taken by another drive. u need to reallocate a new drive letter for your USB drive/disk.
    Objection !!!

Adoi.......

Please people, remember that everything has a shelf life, be it cd/dvd, harddisk, ssd, magnetic tapes, film, etc. Thats why, it is always good practise to take proper and consistent backup and archivals as well. Don't just trust any one medium blindly. And remember RAID is RAID, it is not backup, it can be used in a backup strategy but it has always been and always will be about high-availability.

But I digress, @TS, I was wondering was the CF card ejected properly? Do you cut and paste it? or what?
    If it was cut and paste, stop. It should always be copy and paste. After verifying the files are copied then you can delete from CF. Plus sometimes even though the copy status shows complete, it might still be writing in the background so always do the safe eject. If you did everything correctly, then I'd say, one of your devices might be failing. Test and troubleshoot it again otherwise you risk losing data again.

Haiya..... I also paiseh, should have read till the end. But my comments still valid ah.
    Last edited by pscion12; 7th July 2012 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Just now was transfering photos from my CF card to my Portable HDD everything went on smoothly all files transfer nice nice...

after that went on to keep my CF card. Few mins later a bubble appear on the right bottom screen mentioning " Window ..... Data in 'G' drive ie portable hdd, all gone!

Went on to check my photos in my Portable HDD all vanished into thin air! How it happen? Anyways to recover the lost photos... no of photo lost count about 38gb jpeg picts average file size about 4mb!

All photos shoot end 2011 till yesterday all Gone gone gone!
    Sorry to hear that, it is always painful and I hope you can recover your data.

I dont' know if my backup regime is good enough, but I keep a copy on the hard drive, and have 2 portable drives, one is updated more frequently and the other less... So most of the time there are 2 copies.

I've heard of people who run RAID backup configurations, have like 5 backup hard drives and burn DVDs too.

Quote Originally Posted by pscion12 View Post
    Adoi.......

Please people, remember that everything has a shelf life, be it cd/dvd, harddisk, ssd, magnetic tapes, film, etc. Thats why, it is always good practise to take proper and consistent backup and archivals as well. Don't just trust any one medium blindly. And remember RAID is RAID, it is not backup, it can be used in a backup strategy but it has always been and always will be about high-availability.

But I digress, @TS, I was wondering was the CF card ejected properly? Do you cut and paste it? or what?
    If it was cut and paste, stop. It should always be copy and paste. After verifying the files are copied then you can delete from CF. Plus sometimes even though the copy status shows complete, it might still be writing in the background so always do the safe eject. If you did everything correctly, then I'd say, one of your devices might be failing. Test and troubleshoot it again otherwise you risk losing data again.

Haiya..... I also paiseh, should have read till the end. But my comments still valid ah.
    Thanks very much for your valueable info and sharing as from now on will copy paste instead of cut paste!

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Sorry to hear that, it is always painful and I hope you can recover your data.

I dont' know if my backup regime is good enough, but I keep a copy on the hard drive, and have 2 portable drives, one is updated more frequently and the other less... So most of the time there are 2 copies.

I've heard of people who run RAID backup configurations, have like 5 backup hard drives and burn DVDs too.

Thanks for the advise will try to have 2 backup soon! But not 5hdd n dvds thats a sweat to me thanks.lol...

Thanks my data are back as i have mention in my previous post!

To Mods, Admin, Senoirs and everyone here thanks for the understanding great timely help and assistance. Thats what like about CS.

I would like to keep this thread open (if possible) instead of closing so that it can be helpful to others (especially those who have little IT / Tech knowledge or like me 0 knowledge) who have face similar situation. Sharing how they (ways and means of) recovering their datas and how they store, archive, preserve? them etc...

Once again Thanks to Everyone here for the valuable info for a 0 Tech/IT knowledge me!
    Last edited by melvin; 7th July 2012 at 10:44 AM.

Just wondering aloud, is Dropbox a good alternative for short term backup ....?

Quote Originally Posted by oracle0711
    Just wondering aloud, is Dropbox a good alternative for short term backup ....?
    Yes Dropbox can be a form of backup but it's storage space is rather limited.

Dropbox is a pretty good solution as an offsite backup
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123