Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gone everything Gone!

Default Re: Gone everything Gone!

There are many FREE data and/or image rescue software.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filere...y-programs.htm
    Last edited by ricohflex; 2nd July 2012 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    FYI, I use 2x2TB drives in RAID1 for photo storage. The external drive is a backup. If you were only using an external drive as photo storage, then that's sloppy.
    RAID 1 not enough. Must go mission critical style with at least quadruple redundancy, RAID 10 with industrial grade / MIL-STD compliance SSDs from different manufacturers with different variations of PCB controllers running separate firmwares.

+ real-time backup uplink to another remote off-site Tier IV data storage facility located somewhere safe both geographically and politically, also preferably in a nuclear bunker. I like to keep my AES-256 prawns tight and secured.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 2nd July 2012 at 10:38 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

What ever hdd or ssd also not good enough. Best is to burn on blu ray, if possible, 2 copies of raw files. Then safe keep them inside a safe to prevent kids from scratching them. If you rich enough, put it inside a bank locker, best! Ha ha!

But burn onto disc asap is the safest way for me.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM
    What ever hdd or ssd also not good enough. Best is to burn on blu ray, if possible, 2 copies of raw files. Then safe keep them inside a safe to prevent kids from scratching them. If you rich enough, put it inside a bank locker, best! Ha ha!

But burn onto disc asap is the safest way for me.
    I don't trust optical discs. Scratches not the only way of them getting spoilt. Fungus can make them unreadable too.
    A friend of mine almost lost 4 years of his PhD thesis work because of backing up on cds and dvds. He had 3 copies. All went bad in about 2.5 years. Thankfully our advisor had a copy on his hard drive.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by fmeeran

I don't trust optical discs. Scratches not the only way of them getting spoilt. Fungus can make them unreadable too.
    A friend of mine almost lost 4 years of his PhD thesis work because of backing up on cds and dvds. He had 3 copies. All went bad in about 2.5 years. Thankfully our advisor had a copy on his hard drive.
    Thats why must protect the disc. I got disc over 10 yrs n yet readable. Best is to stack the disc on top of each other n also, place a piece of paper between them to prevent scratches. Then put inside dry cabinet. All steps needed if data important else OTOT.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

FWIW might consider using the cloud as a backup to store your data. Am sure they are using RAID 10
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

Thanks everyone for you precious suggestion!

Just to ask so does this mean my portable hdd cant be use?

we won't know if this data loss is due to software glitch or hardware failure on your portable HDD. Even if you replace your portable HDD it doesn't mean that the new drive will not fail you.

you need to consider having a backup somewhere once you get back your data.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by fmeeran View Post
    Your friend with PhD don't know how to handle a CD/DVD ?
    Look at link below.

Safest way to hold a CD | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All my CD, which are more than 10 years old are readable.

You must store them in cool dry place.
    Last edited by Yutaka Go; 3rd July 2012 at 12:12 PM.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    we won't know if this data loss is due to software glitch or hardware failure on your portable HDD. Even if you replace your portable HDD it doesn't mean that the new drive will not fail you.

you need to consider having a backup somewhere once you get back your data.
    Ok thanks i know where you coming from...i meant to ask weather my hdd could be re-use as just got it for only a few months... so i just to need to bring it for a check up?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Ok thanks i know where you coming from...i meant to ask weather my hdd could be re-use as just got it for only a few months... so i just to need to bring it for a check up?

Thanks!
    You can only check whether the portable hdd can still be used (e.g. no bad sectors, still readable/ writable). Hard disk drives consist of mechanical parts spinning at very high rate, mechanical failures are bound to happen.

Once you get back your data you can reformat the current portable drive and try if you can still write files into it. If yes then you may continue to use it but still, a backup is a must. No point sending for checkups as the service charges might be higher than the portable drive itself.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    You can only check whether the portable hdd can still be used (e.g. no bad sectors, still readable/ writable). Hard disk drives consist of mechanical parts spinning at very high rate, mechanical failures are bound to happen.

Once you get back your data you can reformat the current portable drive and try if you can still write files into it. If yes then you may continue to use it but still, a backup is a must. No point sending for checkups as the service charges might be higher than the portable drive itself.

ok thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    Obviously he is not a PhD in DVD handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Obviously he is not a PhD in DVD handling.

You don't need a PhD to handle CD/DVD

Seem like PhD is for rich people, not for smart people
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    ....i meant to ask weather my hdd could be re-use as just got it for only a few months... so i just to need to bring it for a check up?
    Don't waste money.
    Freewares for checking hardisk:

Best Free Hard Drive Health Monitoring and Diagnostic Programs

Ahhh the school days. I stored 3 copies of my data, 1 at lab computer, 1 at my laptop, and 1 more at a laptop overseas in case big earthquake come to SG destroying all the other 2 computers and I still alive.
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go

Look at link below.

Safest way to hold a CD | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All my CD, which are more than 10 years old are readable.

You must store them in cool dry place.
    The failure I believe had more to do with the quality of the storage used. We were in India and didn't use a dry cabinet.

But frankly, I prefer storage which is easy to check one in a while, like a hard disk. At least I know when one of my copies fails.

Cool dry place is all very well if you don't travel, but I've been in 4 cities in the last 6 years. At the end of the day, for my usage, nothing beats hard disks. And yes, keep moving the backup to newer disks every 3-4 years.
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go
    Seem like PhD is for rich people, not for smart people
    Now this I find offensive. I'm a PhD graduate too.
    You can check how many corporate or computation intensive companies use cd/DVD storage.

Hard disks when handled correctly are a lot more trustworthy and if you want better go magnetic tape. Nothing beats that.
    Last edited by fmeeran; 3rd July 2012 at 10:31 PM.
    My Flickr

Now this I find offensive. I'm a PhD graduate too.
    You can check how many corporate or computation intensive companies use cd/DVD storage.

Hard disks when handled correctly are a lot more trustworthy and if you want better go magnetic tape. Nothing beats that.
    i'm also a PhD holder.

Polytechnic halfway Dropout

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM

Thats why must protect the disc. I got disc over 10 yrs n yet readable. Best is to stack the disc on top of each other n also, place a piece of paper between them to prevent scratches. Then put inside dry cabinet. All steps needed if data important else OTOT.
    How do you know after X years, all the information in the whole surface of the DVD or CD or BLURAY is readable? It doesn't matter how good you protect them, the question is how you know they are accessible when you need them?
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast