Thread: Dark Patch on Photo

Default Dark Patch on Photo

Folks
    I set up a speed light with softbox 45 deg to subject hoping for a low-key shot. My Nikon D5100 setting was, F5.6, ISO 100, no auto ISO & no Active D-lighting. However, there was a dark patch (highlighted in red) at the bottom of the photo ! What is wrong ?
    Regards & thanks.

What is your shutter speed? Looks like the shutter speed is too fast and your flash sync speed can't catch up.

Default Re: Dark Patch on Photo

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    What is your shutter speed? Looks like the shutter speed is too fast and your flash sync speed can't catch up.
    I m a newbie in studio set up so is trying and error ! I thought cam speed isn't impt as I'm using speedlight on tripod ? My cam speed is 1/250. How to rectify ?
    Regards & thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtks View Post
    I m a newbie in studio set up so is trying and error ! I thought cam speed isn't impt as I'm using speedlight on tripod ? My cam speed is 1/250. How to rectify ?
    Regards & thanks.

depending on cam..

max flash sync can be 1/160 1/200 1/250..

check the manual

Quote Originally Posted by cjtks
    Regards & thanks.
    Of course it's important, if the shutter speed is too fast, the flash can't catch up. The way to rectify is to shoot at slower shutter speeds. Try 1/125, you shouldn't have this problem.

How did you trigger your off-shoe flash?

BTW, D5100 flash sync speed is 1/200s and you are shooting faster than it at 1/250s.
    Last edited by GRbenji; 29th June 2012 at 11:00 PM.

Of course it's important, if the shutter speed is too fast, the flash can't catch up. The way to rectify is to shoot at slower shutter speeds. Try 1/125, you shouldn't have this problem.
    Roger tat, will try again tmr ! BTW, is there a standard shutter speed for studio set up ? Or I simply try and error ? Regards & thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GRbenji View Post
    How did you trigger your off-shoe flash?
    My speedlight was mount on tripod with the receiver and the transmitter was on my cam.

Roger tat, will try again tmr ! BTW, is there a standard shutter speed for studio set up ? Or I simply try and error ? Regards & thanks.
    My speedlight was mount on tripod with the receiver and the transmitter was on my cam.
    Depends on what you are trying to achieve. There's no hard and fast rule but try to stay within the sync speed.

I think bro GRbenji is asking which type of trigger you are using. Some triggers support high speed sync

Depends on what you are trying to achieve. There's no hard and fast rule but try to stay within the sync speed.

I think bro GRbenji is asking which type of trigger you are using. Some triggers support high speed sync
    Guess what I need to do is to shoot again with lower speed and see the result myself.
    I only know the one I used are those economical type ($40+ with trigger & receiver). I borrowed from my friend and really dun knw much ! OMG !

Guess what I need to do is to shoot again with lower speed and see the result myself.
    I only know the one I used are those economical type ($40+ with trigger & receiver). I borrowed from my friend and really dun knw much ! OMG !
    I guess those are PT-04s, they don't support high speed sync.

I guess those are PT-04s, they don't support high speed sync.
    Errr...den setting my cam speed to lower could still solve the problem ? Regards & thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtks View Post
    Errr...den setting my cam speed to lower could still solve the problem ? Regards & thanks.
    Yup, lowering your shutter speed will solve the problem

since most of the time the ambient light is very low, using 1/60s is no problem at all.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thanks to all ! Problem solved ! Indeed I shd not set too fast speed for my cam.