Thread: How to shrink the size of photos?

Default How to shrink the size of photos?

Hi all,

I am using a 550 and the photo taken can be very large in size if taken with high resolution.

Is there any program able to shrink the size and not the picture size and resolution?

A friend told me to open the picture in MS Paint and then save it in the JPEG format. So u guys use this method?

Thank you.
    Canon 550D 18-55mm

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to shrink the size of photos?

Quote Originally Posted by skyymanz View Post
    Is there any program able to shrink the size and not the picture size and resolution?
    Yes there is.. ZIP, RAR, 7Z....

Quote Originally Posted by skyymanz View Post
    Hi all,

I am using a 550 and the photo taken can be very large in size if taken with high resolution.

A friend told me to open the picture in MS Paint and then save it in the JPEG format. So u guys use this method?

Thank you.
    As in reduce the file size but maintaining the pixel resolution?

Can, but will reduce the quality of the image.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by skyymanz
    I dunno who uses that method. I don't.

Many photo editing programs such as Photoshop and Photoscape allows you to select the quality you would like to save in. Small file means lower quality.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

give and take situation.

shrink the file size, means you will lose details in the photos. but whether you can perceive the differences or not, it's entirely up to your observation.

Might as well shoot in medium/small size, medium/normal quality.
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

The software that comes with your camera can do this. Please consult the help function of the software.
    Not shrinking picture size and resolution will leave little options. First: are you shooting RAW or JPG? If you shoot RAW please stop it unless you understand what you are doing. Set the image type to JPG only. File compression will have little impact because the image data in RAW and JPG cannot be compressed further. JPG, in fact, is already a compressed format whereby file compression and data reduction algorithms are used.
    Secondly, if JPG files are still to big, you have to re-size the images. The content is the same (nothing is cut off), but the dimensions of the image are reduced. For online posting, 1024 pixels on the long side are more than enough, Facebook will reduce it further anyway. For printing please search the forum, the question has been answered many times. A reduction of image size by 50% will still have enough details fro 4R prints.
    EOS