Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: World Economy to Collapse in 2030

Default Re: World Economy to Collapse in 2030

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    So while the consensus is that fossil fuels like oil will eventually run out, nobody can really tell for sure when.
    Thanks for agreeing that fossil fuels will inevitably run out.

And assuming that everyone just got stucked arguing the probability of the prediction instead of heeding the warning and finding solutions, fossil fuel will run out. And when fossil fuels do run out, ships, trains, aeroplanes, cars, buses and trucks will not move and international trade becomes impossible, would not the world economy inevitably collapse?

Not just transportation, a country like Singapore is 99.8% powered by fossil fuels so we will lose out electricity, our internet and lifts would not work anymore.
    Fossil fuel energy consumption (% of total) in Singapore

The conclusion is inevitable, the question is when. That is why researchers are building models hoping to predict when and convince people of the urgency. I really hope it will be 500 years.

Quote Originally Posted by An drew

And assuming that everyone just got stucked arguing the probability of the prediction instead of heeding the warning and finding solutions, fossil fuel will run out. And when fossil fuels do run out, ships, trains, aeroplanes, cars, buses and trucks will not move and international trade becomes impossible, would not the world economy inevitably collapse?
    Market will take care of itself. The prices of oil will be so high as the extraction becomes more difficult or scarce that alternative energy will become viable.

In order to maintain continuity of business, car makers will make green fuel engines or electric vehicle subjected to market forces.

From the perspective of business n money, the world will still go round.

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post

Not just transportation, a country like Singapore is 99.8% powered by fossil fuels so we will lose out electricity, our internet and lifts would not work anymore.
    Fossil fuel energy consumption (% of total) in Singapore

The conclusion is inevitable, the question is when. That is why researchers are building models hoping to predict when and convince people of the urgency. I really hope it will be 500 years.
    I understand your point. I'm not questioning why researchers build models & make predictions because that's what I do for a living. All I'm saying is that the accuracy & veracity of such predictions are critical as it helps guide us towards making correct decisions (as you have pointed out).

The world is a game of probabilities and not everything is black & white whether you like it or not. Saying that fossil fuels will eventually run out is very different from saying it'll definitely run out in 20yrs time. Because if the latter is true then we don't have a lot of time to make changes & drastic measures would have to be taken to avert disaster (which I gather is your main point), but you have to consider that all decisions come with costs as deciding to do something means that other things that maybe equally worthwhile & needed does not get done. The economists call this "opportunity cost". In the case of fossil fuels for example, governments that believe investments to develop more environmentally friendly alternative energy sources need to be drastically increased, may at the same time need to cut back on much needed spending on healthcare, education and perhaps other infrastructure spending.

To summarize, going around spreading potentially unsubstantiated predictions about financial armageddon in 2030 is no different from that quack pastor in the US predicting the end of the world repeatedly in 2012. Some may feel there is nothing wrong the man was merely following his own deep convictions from his detailed study of biblical teachings, & was trying to forewarn others out of good will. But consider that his prognostications persuaded some of his followers to quit their jobs, cut off their own families & sell off all their assets in a valiant effort to help "spread the word". Now that "the end" has come & passed, these same followers are now living in poverty, shunned by their families & jobless. By all means, read research papers by scientists at the leading edge of their fields & stay informed, but please exercise caution & judgement before deeming such predictions as inevitable. This shall be my last post on this matter.

To summarize, going around spreading potentially unsubstantiated predictions about financial armageddon in 2030 is no different from that quack pastor in the US predicting the end of the world repeatedly in 2012.
    Human Consumption Will Trigger Global Collapse By 2030 | Care2 Causes
    Global Economic Collapse Imminent: MIT Researchers Predict Next Great Depression By 2030
    MIT researchers forecast "global economic collapse" by 2030
    Limits to Growth - The 30 Year Update
    MIT computer simulation predicts total global economic collapse in less than 20 years
    A Warning Sign For The World

To summarize, going around spreading potentially unsubstantiated predictions about financial armageddon in 2030 is no different from that quack pastor in the US predicting the end of the world repeatedly in 2012.
    MIT computer simulation predicts total global economic collapse in less than 20 years
    Human Consumption Will Trigger Global Collapse By 2030 | Care2 Causes
    Global Economic Collapse Imminent: MIT Researchers Predict Next Great Depression By 2030
    Limits to Growth - The 30 Year Update
    MIT researchers forecast "global economic collapse" by 2030

I think the economy will still be strong during that time. I have complete trust in the government. Whoever wins, it will still be stable at that time.

I don't even trust the government (of Singapore) now. Let alone after the entropy it suffers by the time 2030 comes around.

That being said, farming is one of the best ways to go...produce your own food and maybe even enough to make profit.

In the worst case scenario, a world war would be 'convenient'... obliterate the masses of consumers, divert national attention from internal (civil conflict) to external (war), a chance for survivors to rebuild. cold? yes. pragmatic? yes.
    sorry but that's just how i think.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

When economy collapse it is best to be able to self-sustain.. Grow and harvest your own food.

That is why photography is a great hobby. When food supply is low you can sprinkle some water on your lens and keep them in damp places... You then have infinite supply of Shitake mushroom haha!

Ok I'm just joking.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    When economy collapse it is best to be able to self-sustain.. Grow and harvest your own food.

That is why photography is a great hobby. When food supply is low you can sprinkle some water on your lens and keep them in damp places... You then have infinite supply of Shitake mushroom haha!

Ok I'm just joking.
    Ha ha. You will get fungus.

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    The most important thing is to grow a small rubber tree in a pot so that you can DIY condoms for an infinite pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    The most important thing is to grow a small rubber tree in a pot so that you can DIY condoms for an infinite pleasure.

I don't know what to say to this.

anybody here knows how to farm ? my father's generation (he is now in 60s) knew how to...he was born in rural Malaya (before independence and Federation, etc). I wonder if he will teach me
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    anybody here knows how to farm ? my father's generation (he is now in 60s) knew how to...he was born in rural Malaya (before independence and Federation, etc). I wonder if he will teach me

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    I know.

I have grown rice in a cup from seedlings (the type that you feed chickens).

Oh that is just perfecttttttt..............

We work like dogs to earn meager wages (okay so I'm no longer in SG so doesn't apply to me anymore ).............

Then our meager wages kena potong and put into CPF............

Then we are told our CPF cannot be withdrawn until we are old and grey..............

Then we are told we can only withdraw our CPF in installments..........

And NOW we are told by the time we withdraw the CPF will be WORTHLESS??!?!?!

Who here sees the irony of this?
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

before you guys get scared:

Most of the computer scenarios found population and economic growth continuing at a steady rate until about 2030. But without "drastic measures for environmental protection," the scenarios predict the likelihood of a population and economic crash.
    However, the study said "unlimited economic growth" is still possible if world governments enact policies and invest in green technologies that help limit the expansion of our ecological footprint.
    and this little foot note at the bottom:

Correction: This post has been edited to reflect that MIT has not updated its research from the original 1972 study.
    so, technology has improved tremendously since then. we've found replacements in materials and are working on the carbon footprint. recycling is becoming more and more a part of our lives compared to back then. governments are investing in clean energies.

so..... still scared?

anyways the world will end on 21st December 2012. so don't worry about the "global economy collapse"

Frankly I'm more frightened by your new avatar.................

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    before you guys get scared:

and this little foot note at the bottom:

so, technology has improved tremendously since then. we've found replacements in materials and are working on the carbon footprint. recycling is becoming more and more a part of our lives compared to back then. governments are investing in clean energies.

so..... still scared?

anyways the world will end on 21st December 2012. so don't worry about the "global economy collapse"

Quote Originally Posted by harnamsc View Post
    Frankly I'm more frightened by your new avatar.................
    WHY? because someone complained about my avatar so i changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post
    Coz there are only a handful senior members with potentially pretty face on their profile picture

When the world economy collapses the sale of bra will stop.

What does it mean to you?

Your eyes will have a field day.

Sadly there's a problem with that, namely the sales of spectacles and contact lens will stop as well?

*cough cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    When the world economy collapses the sale of bra will stop.

What does it mean to you?

Your eyes will have a field day.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast