Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Newbie on Nikon J1

  1. #1

    Default Newbie on Nikon J1

    I bought a Nikon J1 a few months ago, mainly cos I was dissatisfied with the pictures I was taking of my two children from previous P&S (Fuji fd100 or something like that)

    Luckily, I bought the J1 from this forum, so was at a discount to the RRP, $200+ saving!

    I say luckily, because after about a week, I was about to throw it into Bedok Reservoir!!!

    I was still unsatisfied with the pics, my kids faces were still blurry, even in Shutter Priority mode, there was no bokeh unless I shoved the camera right up to their faces (I was using the stock lens provided by Nikon 10-30mm f3.5-5.6) and generally, it wasn't a hell of a lot better than my P&S.

    Then last week, I bought the FT1 mount adapter and the Nikkor 50mm 1.8g lens...BOOM!!!

    This combo actually cost more than the camera itself, but boy was it worth it!

    I'm getting bokeh out the ying-yang, on shutter priority mode, I can take clear pictures of my kids even if they're doing cartwheels!

    I'm in love with the camera and photography again...all this time, I thought photography was a skill...in reality, it's just how much money you can spend on the correct lens! LOL!

    I'll probably get flamed for that last sentence...but wadever!

    MY PHOTOS LOOK GREAT! BOOM BOOM BOOM!

  2. #2
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    You might want to read about Depth of Field and Aperture... and also on Shutter speed and ISO if you have the time. It will explain why you didn't get hell of alot of blur in the background with your 10-30mm and why you get alot of blur with your 50mm f1.8G.

    And yes, equipment plays a massive part in photography, or else why would a professional invest in tens of thousands of dollars in their equipment? But to get sharp and clear photos is just part of the equation, all the Tom, Dick and Harry and their grandmas with the right equipment could do it with littlest of effort. But it is what make your photos interesting that really counts.

    Oh... and congrate in getting the right equipment, do shoot more and enjoy.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  3. #3

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    Glad that you didn't give up photography. Continue to shoot more


    Ps: next time u feel like throwing your Nikon J1 into the Bedok reservoir, do PM me, my house have a nice rubbish bin for you

  4. #4

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    Sample food pic from the new setup....



    Yummy Yummy!

    BOOM!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    You might want to read about Depth of Field and Aperture... and also on Shutter speed and ISO if you have the time. It will explain why you didn't get hell of alot of blur in the background with your 10-30mm and why you get alot of blur with your 50mm f1.8G.

    And yes, equipment plays a massive part in photography, or else why would a professional invest in tens of thousands of dollars in their equipment? But to get sharp and clear photos is just part of the equation, all the Tom, Dick and Harry and their grandmas with the right equipment could do it with littlest of effort. But it is what make your photos interesting that really counts.

    Oh... and congrate in getting the right equipment, do shoot more and enjoy.
    Thanks! Yeh, I've been reading up on various articles on Aperture, ISOs and Shutter Speed when I first got the J1 cos I was so damn unsatisfied...was convinced it was me and not the camera!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    Quote Originally Posted by nedy77 View Post
    Glad that you didn't give up photography. Continue to shoot more


    Ps: next time u feel like throwing your Nikon J1 into the Bedok reservoir, do PM me, my house have a nice rubbish bin for you

    Haha! Thanks! Not throwing it away anytime soon!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    Quote Originally Posted by klim828 View Post
    Sample food pic from the new setup....



    Yummy Yummy!

    BOOM!
    Oh, so this is how you define "sharp".

    BOOm!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    Quote Originally Posted by nicorn View Post
    Oh, so this is how you define "sharp".

    BOOm!
    Hey! BOOM is my line!

    Yeh, I'm looking at that pic and realise it's not the best example, my family pics are the ones that get me most excited...in 20 years' time - I can show their faces on a projector on their 21st birthday!

    BOOM!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    Quote Originally Posted by klim828 View Post
    Hey! BOOM is my line!

    Yeh, I'm looking at that pic and realise it's not the best example, my family pics are the ones that get me most excited...in 20 years' time - I can show their faces on a projector on their 21st birthday!

    BOOM!
    Good for you, would really like to see those "sharp" and "BOOM" photo =).

  10. #10

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    Quote Originally Posted by nicorn View Post
    Good for you, would really like to see those "sharp" and "BOOM" photo =).
    Hold on - I never said anything about sharp! But BOOM! Definitely! This shot below - I was never able to take before...but now I can...with a flex of my fingers!


  11. #11

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    Compared to what I took with the stock J1 and lens...



    No boom to be found here! 'Cept for the little girl (not mine!)

  12. #12

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    lol, it's ok, I can see your intention.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    Quote Originally Posted by nicorn View Post
    lol, it's ok, I can see your intention.
    Yep, sharing the love baby! Sharing the love!

    BOOM!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    usually dissatisfaction arises from when you can't get the shot you want.

    practice more on your shots and then bro nicorn won't rag on you

    else you can chuck your J1 for a D7000.

    and when you get dissatisfied with your D7000, you can chuck it for a D4.

    but remember to PM each of us to let us know where you're dumping it! don't dump it into the reservoir! we can't use it after that!
    Last edited by kei1309; 25th June 2012 at 10:32 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    it's great that you derive joy from photography. let us all not forget that non professional shooters do it for joy. not necessary to be in the technical sense of accomplishment either.

    hope you have loads of fun with your kids.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Your Imagination
    Posts
    78

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    wow Nikon J1. but how come the pictures are all so blur? i thought it is a good camera?

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BarneyChihan
    wow Nikon J1. but how come the pictures are all so blur? i thought it is a good camera?
    Now that someone mention the word "good camera", I wonder how "bad camera" looks like...

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BarneyChihan
    wow Nikon J1. but how come the pictures are all so blur? i thought it is a good camera?
    Most likely it is due to the user not the camera.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    Quote Originally Posted by BarneyChihan View Post
    wow Nikon J1. but how come the pictures are all so blur? i thought it is a good camera?
    Blur? In photography circles, I believe they call that "Bokeh"!

    BOKEH BABY!

    Makes me all arty farty!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Newbie on Nikon J1

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    Most likely it is due to the user not the camera.
    Repeat these three words: Bokeh, Bokeh, Bokeh!!!

    BOOM!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •