Thread: Help needed - opening RAW files in Mac PS

Blog Entries

Default Help needed - opening RAW files in Mac PS

hi!

help needed. can someone pls teach me how to open my canon 10D RAW files in Mac OS Photoshop CS? my PC version of PS can view the RAW files automatically. but, my Mac PS cannot, even after downloading and installing the new RAW beta 2.4 plugin from abode.

can someone pls teach me how to open the RAW files? TIA!
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

you should be able to view and process raw out of the box. did the acr plugin launch when you open the raw?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    you should be able to view and process raw out of the box. did the acr plugin launch when you open the raw?
    eh... no.

thanks, madmacs! i'll try to figure it out myself...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    hi!

help needed. can someone pls teach me how to open my canon 10D RAW files in Mac OS Photoshop CS? my PC version of PS can view the RAW files automatically. but, my Mac PS cannot, even after downloading and installing the new RAW beta 2.4 plugin from abode.

can someone pls teach me how to open the RAW files? TIA!
    I Don't know about the Mac.... but from The Camera Raw Forum on Adobe's own site, most of the problems with Camera Raw not operating are usually to do with a camera's own software (i.e. Canon) superceding PS's own Plug -In. Try looking under Program files/adobe/PS CS/Plug-ins/file formats.. you should see the Camera Raw Plug in there.. If there is anything from Canon try Cutting and Pasting it to your desktop (that way you can restore it if needs be later.) AND look in PS CS / Photoshop only/plug-ins.... Thats where I found the little monster that was stopping me operating PS CS Camera Raw ( In my case it was Nikon!!!!... GRR)

Hope this might help

Quote Originally Posted by stroma
    I Don't know about the Mac.... but from The Camera Raw Forum on Adobe's own site, most of the problems with Camera Raw not operating are usually to do with a camera's own software (i.e. Canon) superceding PS's own Plug -In. Try looking under Program files/adobe/PS CS/Plug-ins/file formats.. you should see the Camera Raw Plug in there.. If there is anything from Canon try Cutting and Pasting it to your desktop (that way you can restore it if needs be later.) AND look in PS CS / Photoshop only/plug-ins.... Thats where I found the little monster that was stopping me operating PS CS Camera Raw ( In my case it was Nikon!!!!... GRR)

Hope this might help
    i installed canon dpp and other utilities after ps cs but ps cs still worked. wondering if some ps cs prefs got messed.

nightwolf, move the ps cs folder away and reinstall ps cs. see if that helps.

If you are those who plugs in your camera directly into your Mac, you won't be able to read any RAW files outta it except using Canon's utilities.

Get a card reader and ur problem's good as solved.

Apparently if u plug in a 300D or a 10D directly into your Mac, it doesn't mount as an external drive in both the GUI and terminal. One will notice that the transfer speed would be very slow.

Juz pop ur CF into a cardreader, and it'll mount as an external drive and u can see all your RAW files, JPEG files, etc. And you can start processing your RAW files! And skip Canon's software. There's a utility called 'Image Capture' under Applications-Utility, use that to transfer your RAW and JPEG files instead. Make sure u check your preferences to retain all the EXIF tags.

nw75, u need my card reader? Works very well with Macs, juz tell me if u want it.
    Last edited by jsbn; 19th January 2005 at 10:29 AM.