Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678

Thread: What is a wedding uncle bob?

Default Re: What is a wedding uncle bob?

Sometimes...its about 1 word..and thats

Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    actually as a hobbyist I think if we can't resist the temptation to bring DSLRs to weddings, we should leave the flashgun at home, and shoot from our seats (max displacement to lean out of our chairs only. no standing unless everyone standing...and definitely no hanging off the chandelier or climbing a tree ...
    Like you said. cant resist the temptation.. It has a Bar from 1 - 10.

Sometimes the uncle bob..can be a gear head as well and maybe happen to use better gear than the pro..then he/she becomes a bigger BOB
    I have to attend a wedding tonight.. Shall see...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    Sometimes...its about 1 word..and thats

Respect.
    Respect is a two way street, and the best way to gain it is to give it.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    read properly bro

doing the job properly doesn't mean that i'm gonna force them to follow my style.

what i'll be doing is to ensure that they are at the right place at the right time, and to help them organize the tables for shoots.

also... i have to be in charge of the cake. that's more stressful IMO

lol organizing the table shoots is the most sian part in a wedding.

dont stress lol. u can make "extra" cakes at the hotel. Should be quite good environment to destress lol

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I think the pros here should just relax la.

No matter how people talk and warn about uncle bobs, there will always be uncles, nephews, cousins, brothers, sisters, friends who want to shoot in a wedding. All we can do as service providers is to manage, and not get too "hot" about it. After all, they are all relatives/friends of the bride and groom. No point getting all riled up, and in the end spoil the joyous occasion.

There are ways to manage them and the situation, no matter how stubborn they get. I strongly believe fostering a us vs them attitude here in the forum is not going to help the situation, but make more people emotional about it.

Also no point complaining about stealing poses, etc... Great photographers lead the way and create new poses. Poses are not that secret or magical anyway. Just read the scene, lighting and go with the flow and create. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.
    Now that's what I call professionalism. Food for thought nice
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

now here's a part where the MAIN photographer screwed up a shot i was trying to nail. and this was before the photographer came down from the hotel room.

before the solemnization took place, i was hanging out with the bride's young daughter, 2 friends and the daughter of one of the friends. so they asked me to take a group shot of the 4 of them. now focusing on a manual focus lens is tough (for me since i haven't use a MF lens in a while), and when you have 2 kids squirming around with the mum screaming for them to stay still is difficult enough.

i took the first two shots, then re-focused because of the two young kids' movements.. after that, i told the quartet to keep still and continued shooting. but somehow, the 2 kids and the mum kept looking away to the right, while i was on burst mode trying to get the kids un-awares (they kept squirming around).

then i realized one thing. while i was taking the first 2 shots, the main photographer crept up behind and tried to get the little girls to look at him, while i was telling the 2 friends and little girls to keep still. even the bride's friends had no idea who to look at. then the main photographer walked into my frame and blocked me.

so i gave up trying to get the shot and walked off.

really, i wasn't the main photographer, and the ceremony hadn't started. but even if you're the main photographer, you should really be courteous to the other guests trying to do some personal shots. don't intentionally spoil the shots of the guests.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    now here's a part where the MAIN photographer screwed up a shot i was trying to nail. and this was before the photographer came down from the hotel room.

before the solemnization took place, i was hanging out with the bride's young daughter, 2 friends and the daughter of one of the friends. so they asked me to take a group shot of the 4 of them. now focusing on a manual focus lens is tough (for me since i haven't use a MF lens in a while), and when you have 2 kids squirming around with the mum screaming for them to stay still is difficult enough.

i took the first two shots, then re-focused because of the two young kids' movements.. after that, i told the quartet to keep still and continued shooting. but somehow, the 2 kids and the mum kept looking away to the right, while i was on burst mode trying to get the kids un-awares (they kept squirming around).

then i realized one thing. while i was taking the first 2 shots, the main photographer crept up behind and tried to get the little girls to look at him, while i was telling the 2 friends and little girls to keep still. even the bride's friends had no idea who to look at. then the main photographer walked into my frame and blocked me.

so i gave up trying to get the shot and walked off.

really, i wasn't the main photographer, and the ceremony hadn't started. but even if you're the main photographer, you should really be courteous to the other guests trying to do some personal shots. don't intentionally spoil the shots of the guests.
    Why didn't you tell him off? I would.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

Why didn't you tell him off? I would.
    The bride was fierce that day. the fact i showed up late and she almost killed me, told me that i shouldn't berate the main photographer and make everyone unhappy. Because in the end, i'll be the dead one

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

The bride was fierce that day. the fact i showed up late and she almost killed me, told me that i shouldn't berate the main photographer and make everyone unhappy. Because in the end, i'll be the dead one
    Haha! Never mess with the bride!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678