Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a wedding uncle bob?

Default Re: What is a wedding uncle bob?

wait for adobe come up with uncle Bob plugin. auto detect and clone away uncle Bob. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CanonG View Post
    As said earlier, I am just upset when TS is trying to twist the points I have made, over and over again.

Just to state for the 3rd time, I am not supportive for the uncle bob. Just want to say there are photographers who brand everyone who are holding a dslr a uncle bob. In a nutshell, the example I quoted earlier was a rouge shooter who went out of his way to block the hobbyist to shoot.

To me, as long as the hobbyist gives the main shooter ample room to work (ie a lot of room to move around, move back, etc) and does not affect him in any way, it is fine.

Priority should be still given to the main shooter.

Then again, this is my opinion, you can also disagree also.

I simply repeated and summarized my point so someone will not purposely twist what I said again.
    You are too sensitive and take the discussion way too personal for the experience of your friend. Please take a break from the thread and return, you might have a different perspective later.

Quote Originally Posted by choocn View Post
    First, ah lian/auntie quarreling on MRT train, then old men on fighting on the bus, next, pros and uncle bobs jostling and shouting at a wedding?

Unless the bride/groom are celebrities where there will be restrictions, no one says only pros can take photos at weddings. Only 'bobs' who are close relatives' or friends will ever bother to bring their own cameras for any weddings, so what right does the pros have to offend them? If the pro feels that it is beneath him to be fighting for space with bob or that his pictures are not going to be better, then he should not be there in the first place. Shouldn't he be using his professional skill to get the special angle or shot that the ordinary joe cannot see? In any case, he should be thankful that he is the only one getting paid for the job. At the last wedding I attended, 2 young wedding photographers with pro-looking cameras wearing vests with loud logos were staying put and waiting for the couples to move near them before they bother to take any pictures while the bobs were busy moving around capturing the event and enjoying themselves. So much for professionalism. Let's see if the pro can live it down if a nasty incident between pro and bob should occur to spoil the wedding couple's special day, regardless of who started it.
    I think the other senior members of the forum had already addressed your queries quite comprehensively.

To add more points;Is there really a need for hobbyists to shoot at the weddings? A couple may view 20-30 portfolios of professionals online before choosing to meet 5-10 pros in person, after that they chose 1.

What makes you think they want your pictures? I think they find your presence and cooperation more valuable.

Many times, the hobbyists are shooting for themselves. Which brings us to the first post, please enjoy your hobby but it's not a good idea to do it at your friends/relatives wedding. If you are really interested in this genre of photography, be aware that this is not a hobby genre, it's pro work thus you have to approach it like a professional. There are good ways to get started, refer to the first post for suggestions.

How many uncle Bobs actually call up the bride or groom days after the wedding to ask "Hey, wanna see the wedding pictures I took of you two?" Few, if any. Most do it for their own consumption. If wedding photos are not a hobby genre, that would mean landscape pictures are strictly for Nat Geo pros? Likewise sports photos? Unless the list of suggestions becomes law, they will remain just that - suggestions

all the scenarios above are just scenarios that can happen.

but the main point is: Uncle Bobs should not try to show up the Main photographer. that "inexperienced nincompoop" that they bash relies on photography for a living or a wage supplement.

the Uncle Bob, even if he/she/it can shoot better, should not interfere. this is respect. let the Professional do his/her job.

and that being said, the Pro should not offend the Uncle Bob. because they're friends/relatives of the happy couple. and it won't go down well with everyone who's present. you'll just ruin your own name.

The last tea ceremony and bride-fetching (a chinese custom right?) i attended, the Pro they engaged had 2 5DMkIIs. with L Lenses. nice.

but when i stole glances at the LCD i was shocked because the composition, color was all off. some shots had very bad motion blur. and she was murmuring to herself "good... good... nice". and each one of these shots were unique to a certain setting/time frame for the rituals in the ceremony.

but i kept my mouth shut. let the pro do the job. and don't harass them. let what they have coming to them, come to them naturally.

This situation is quite common, nowsaday a lot of so called 'pro' are part timer with expensive gear and big ego, service atitude wise, i have seen my fair share of worst.

How many uncle Bobs actually call up the bride or groom days after the wedding to ask "Hey, wanna see the wedding pictures I took of you two?" Few, if any. Most do it for their own consumption.
    I agree

However nowadays with Facebook, it's easy to share the photos with the couple and other family members/friends, just need to upload and tag them

How many uncle Bobs actually call up the bride or groom days after the wedding to ask "Hey, wanna see the wedding pictures I took of you two?" Few, if any. Most do it for their own consumption. If wedding photos are not a hobby genre, that would mean landscape pictures are strictly for Nat Geo pros? Likewise sports photos? Unless the list of suggestions becomes law, they will remain just that - suggestions
    There we got it. They are shooting for themselves for their own enjoyment, to proof a point, or some even to get a 'portfolio' often times at the expenses of the wedding couple and the real photogrs/videogrs they hired.

Most of the time uncle bobs are unaware of such fact, but some of the time they are aware but is too selfish and ego driven to withdraw. Some claim the excuse of 'shooting for the bride and groom' - am glad you can understand they are really shooting for themselves for whatever selfish reasons.

At this point I think it gets a bit repetitive to say that such behaviour is to the detriment of the wedding pros results. And arguing that fact only goes to show how persistent these people could be to assert their 'right' to shoot.

People like these are really a pros nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit-Kat-Lover View Post
    This situation is quite common, nowsaday a lot of so called 'pro' are part timer with expensive gear and big ego, service atitude wise, i have seen my fair share of worst.
    Many part timers are actually very pro both in ethics and product. It's not about part time or full time, but more about the person.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    all the scenarios above are just scenarios that can happen.

but the main point is: Uncle Bobs should not try to show up the Main photographer. that "inexperienced nincompoop" that they bash relies on photography for a living or a wage supplement.

the Uncle Bob, even if he/she/it can shoot better, should not interfere. this is respect. let the Professional do his/her job.

and that being said, the Pro should not offend the Uncle Bob. because they're friends/relatives of the happy couple. and it won't go down well with everyone who's present. you'll just ruin your own name.

The last tea ceremony and bride-fetching (a chinese custom right?) i attended, the Pro they engaged had 2 5DMkIIs. with L Lenses. nice.

but when i stole glances at the LCD i was shocked because the composition, color was all off. some shots had very bad motion blur. and she was murmuring to herself "good... good... nice". and each one of these shots were unique to a certain setting/time frame for the rituals in the ceremony.

but i kept my mouth shut. let the pro do the job. and don't harass them. let what they have coming to them, come to them naturally.
    That is the right thing to do, though the judging by LCD peaks is too early a statement. I often shoot weird compositions due to my own reasons and Camera's inital color rendition for the LCD previews is not something the shooter can control much.

I intended to just let it off but now you said I am sensitive? Man, you are really....

I am pissed off because you have been trying to mislead the points I am saying. Whether my friend is right or wrong or how much degree of being uncle bob is acceptable doesnt even matter at all. Even till then, you have been accusing me getting upset for not be able to defend my friend.

I just merely disagreed with you and you had to come out with all those stupid statements which I didnt even said to mislead the rest of the readers.. and now you told me to "Please take a break from the thread and return, you might have a different perspective later. "

Forums are here to discuss different perspective, you can choose to agree or disagree.

By doing these kinds of silly misleading acts, tells us very clearly what kind of person you are.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    You are too sensitive and take the discussion way too personal for the experience of your friend. Please take a break from the thread and return, you might have a different perspective later.
    Last edited by CanonG; 27th June 2012 at 10:23 AM.

That is the right thing to do, though the judging by LCD peaks is too early a statement. I often shoot weird compositions due to my own reasons and Camera's inital color rendition for the LCD previews is not something the shooter can control much.
    she's directly in front of me. so i can see clearly what's on the screen. it's actually quite shocking. but of course, i don't want to ruin the atmosphere by shooting my mouth off
    Last edited by kei1309; 27th June 2012 at 11:29 AM.

Forums are here to discuss different perspective, you can choose to agree or disagree.

By doing these kinds of silly misleading acts, tells us very clearly what kind of person you are.
    Honestly, take a chill pill. Although I'd rather not get involved in another person's argument, I feel that I have to point out that you're really taking JasonB's comments the wrong way, despite how abrasive he can be (from the other threads). In fact, he has been pretty cordial and mild in this discussion. Like you said, forums are to discuss different perspectives. While your account of the rude photographer may be accurate, JasonB was simply stating the possibility that the situation may have been otherwise. If you were not there, all you have is the word of your friend, which you obviously trust to the letter by your reaction. But none of us on the forums know neither you nor your friend, nor the photographer in question.

Isn't it fair for anyone on the forums to just consider that what happened may not have occurred the way your friend described? I for one, believe that idiots exists. A photographer who can be stupid enough to offend their client's friends to the point where he purposely elbows them to prevent their shots, definitely possible. However, a person who got pissed off by a professional telling him (nicely) not to take it to the extreme and tells his friends a warped perspective of what happened is equally possible.

Nobody is actually saying that the photographer didn't do what you said. But I think JasonB does make a valid point on what could've happened, and I see it as providing another perspective rather than misleading others as you are seeing it.

Let's not talk about other points, I most certainly did not say this..

And why must he, while in the execution of his duty - wedding moments happening right in front of him - turn around to make sure your friend, an extra guy, get a clear shot?
    Hmm, wait a minute. If the pro photog was backing up to get a wider shot, he don't have eyes behind him right?
    How on earth would the pro knows your friend is 3-5m behind when he is concentrating on his job?

Never ever have I said that the hobbyist should be the main priority.

TS was implying I am supporting uncle bob mentality to the readers and go as far to hint I should change my perspective.

This may be a small matter, but I dont like people to twist what I said. As if backstabbers in office is not enough.

I feel the need to clarify myself.

For the last time, I did NOT support this kind of disgusting behavior.
    Last edited by CanonG; 27th June 2012 at 11:47 AM.

Such a trivial topic, can make ppl argue until this.

Instead of wasting time here, why not go out and shoot more ?

Tsk Tsk Tsk

Let's not talk about other points, I most certainly did not say this..
    And why must he, while in the execution of his duty - wedding moments happening right in front of him - turn around to make sure your friend, an extra guy, get a clear shot?

Hmm, wait a minute. If the pro photog was backing up to get a wider shot, he don't have eyes behind him right?

How on earth would the pro knows your friend is 3-5m behind when he is concentrating on his job?

Never ever have I said that the hobbyist should be the main priority.

TS was implying I am supporting uncle bob mentality to the readers and hint I should change my perspective.

For the last time, I did NOT support this kind of disgusting behavior.
    you're making a valid point here.

everyone else is replying to you based on HOW TS (JasonB) interpreted and "twisted" your words.

till now, TS hasn't offered any apology. i think TS should at least acknowledge that he made a mistake.

Aiyo bro, why is everyone looking at the wrong point? Like Kei kindly brought up, many people is misleaded in the thread.

I am not so petty to be pissed cos someone doubt the real story I brought up. Anyway, that is just an example of rouge photographers...

Quote Originally Posted by Larken View Post
    Honestly, take a chill pill. Although I'd rather not get involved in another person's argument, I feel that I have to point out that you're really taking JasonB's comments the wrong way, despite how abrasive he can be (from the other threads). In fact, he has been pretty cordial and mild in this discussion. Like you said, forums are to discuss different perspectives. While your account of the rude photographer may be accurate, JasonB was simply stating the possibility that the situation may have been otherwise. If you were not there, all you have is the word of your friend, which you obviously trust to the letter by your reaction. But none of us on the forums know neither you nor your friend, nor the photographer in question.

Isn't it fair for anyone on the forums to just consider that what happened may not have occurred the way your friend described? I for one, believe that idiots exists. A photographer who can be stupid enough to offend their client's friends to the point where he purposely elbows them to prevent their shots, definitely possible. However, a person who got pissed off by a professional telling him (nicely) not to take it to the extreme and tells his friends a warped perspective of what happened is equally possible.

Nobody is actually saying that the photographer didn't do what you said. But I think JasonB does make a valid point on what could've happened, and I see it as providing another perspective rather than misleading others as you are seeing it.

Kei, you suggesting I apologise?

Upon learning that he was angry with my post, I hurried up clarified that it is just teasing him and asked him not to be angry. See below quote

Please don't be angry. The last three questions of my previous post was teasing you. Though the first three questions of the same post is serious and food for thought for discerning readers.
    But he lost control and let his words fly; calling my questions 'stupid', called me troll - twice in the same post, used the word BS, and accused me of twisting his words. See below quote.

The first 3 question is plain stupid question coming from a internet troll + it is sooo obvious you are implying something...

Please dont tell me you are teasing when you dont meant it.

If you really want me to put it that clear, YES I WILL ANSWER your questions.

Hmm, wait a minute. If the pro was backing up to get a wider shot, he don't have eyes behind him right?
    I have already told u UMPTEEN times the photographer was on purpose.
    DO NOT TWIST WHAT I SAID. I certainly did not!

what an internet troll... dont bs and pretend to help the reader when you are totally trolling and twisting whatever I said.

If you are not the internet troll, the only reason I can think of is that you must be that photographer...
    And kept thinking I am aiming him when I am addressing other posters.

If you are still aiming on what I have said.. I said again.

People pay what ever they want, if they just dont need to have their photo taken well, and willing to pay peanuts to get peanuts, why not??? As long as they dont complain, it is perfectly fine.
    As observed by peers, who advised him to stop calling me names.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Chill man...
    TS made some perfectly valid points at the start of the thread, but it seems to have derailed into something personal.
    The fact is:
    There are obnoxious hobbyist photographers who affect the outcome of the wedding photography negatively. There are also incompetent 'paid' (don't know if 'professional' aptly describes them) photographers who accept peanuts and deliver rubbish, as well as behaving boorishly.

Whatever your friend experienced was unfortunate, but take a step back and cool off. Do refrain from all the name-calling.
    My experience with professional wedding photographers so far has been pleasant to say the least. Not once have i seen them physically or verbally abuse an Uncle Bob.

The fact is: as more and more people take up photography as a hobby, it is likely we'll see more enthusiastic guests at weddings. This thread is simply to raise awareness that such behaviour exists, and hopefully ideas will surface on how to deal with these types of situations in a cordial manner.
    And further observed by peers to reassure him that I am not targeting him, and advised him to cool it.

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Relax man, I think you had taken the thread a bit too personal.

I dont think he was aiming at you when he reply to Larken coz he had been saying similar things to other people in other threads too.
    I tried again to calm him down, and requested he take a break to cool off.

But he came back with more abusive comments calling me 'silly misleading acts'

I intended to just let it off but now you said I am sensitive? Man, you are really....

I am pissed off because you have been trying to mislead the points I am saying. Whether my friend is right or wrong or how much degree of being uncle bob is acceptable doesnt even matter at all. Even till then, you have been accusing me getting upset for not be able to defend my friend.

I just merely disagreed with you and you had to come out with all those stupid statements which I didnt even said to mislead the rest of the readers.. and now you told me to "Please take a break from the thread and return, you might have a different perspective later. "

Once again yet another peer observed the overly sensitive and defensive altitute.

Quote Originally Posted by Larken View Post

Like Larken said, I provided a different perspective rather than trying to mislead other people. As noted by members here, I can be very abrasive and blunt in forums as noted in threads elsewhere, but not in this thread. If I really want to embrass or insult CanonG, I would had done so early on and without restraint. But it was never my purpose for this thread. In fact now it is even hard to reply to other people with such a sensitive and paranoid person around suspecting everything I said is trying to 'twist' him.
    Last edited by JasonB; 27th June 2012 at 01:24 PM.

your words have had an impact on the other members, who thought that CanonG is in the wrong. a lot of people skip the part where you said you were just teasing.

no matter how much pride you have, if you have made someone unhappy, you should apologize. leave your pride behind and be humble.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast