Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a wedding uncle bob?

Default Re: What is a wedding uncle bob?

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    one wedding i went to, the pro photographer hired by the bride and groom was wearing a nice lime-green neon green 'safety vest' colored photographer's jacket with CANON sewn in huge font on it (dunno if it is an official Canon vest? Msian wedding...heh) and that kind of left no doubt for the guests, about where to look during group shots.

Not sure if it is his attire, but I felt he was more "pro" than other photographers I saw (pro in skills and pro in dressing and attitude. ) very cool guy! (but im naive. please educate me if indeed it is otherwise)
    Quote Originally Posted by nedy77 View Post
    I like this man that you mentioned. it shows that he's serious about the job, and not trying to look stylish arty farty
    no, this is to prevent any Uncle Bob including him into their frames, but will not work for those Uncle Bob with hopelessly colour blind.

but seriously, why want to make yourself looks like a traffic warden or roadwork worker in a wedding? he will be drawing more attention than the wedding couples, and if there is videography, he will be a like a pacman moving around the whole frame when you watch the video.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I beg to differ.

Does that means that if the guy is not using a dslr he is not a Uncle Bob? There are so many people who take photo with their phone or P&S as well, surely you can prevent all of them to shoot.

Sometimes, people want to capture some shots for their memory or couples may request their friend/uncle to take some photos for them.
    If they really block your shots or affect you in another way, you can tell them nicely. if they dont listen, highlight to the couple politely. This is professionalism.

It doesnt mean that just because you are a professional photographer, you can prevent others from taking shots. As some bro mentioned, they are also part of the event guest as well.

I remember one friend told me that he was requested by the groom to help to take a few shots for gate crashing. While he understand not to block the main photographer shots and always maintained a distance from the photographer, the guy purposely backed towards where he goes and elbowed him. He is most of like trying to prevent my friend shooting or worried his shots may turn out lousier than my friend. Doesnt mean you are paid for the job means you can do whatever you want.

Outright childish, and in the end, the guy's shots turn out to be crappy.

Most importantly whatever you do, there must be a balance.
    Last edited by CanonG; 25th June 2012 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by intrance

LOL.. and what was your response?
    Well. I just let him continue to shoot, after that its my turn.

Thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by CanonG View Post
    I beg to differ.

Does that means that if the guy is not using a dslr he is not a Uncle Bob? There are so many people who take photo with their phone or P&S as well, surely you can prevent all of them to shoot.

Sometimes, people want to capture some shots for their memory or couples may request their friend/uncle to take some photos for them.
    If they really block your shots or affect you in another way, you can tell them nicely. if they dont listen, highlight to the couple politely. This is professionalism.

It doesnt mean that just because you are a professional photographer, you can prevent others from taking shots. As some bro mentioned, they are also part of the event guest as well.

I remember one friend told me that he was requested by the groom to help to take a few shots for gate crashing. While he understand not to block the main photographer shots and always maintained a distance from the photographer, the guy purposely backed towards where he goes and elbowed him. He is most of like trying to prevent my friend shooting or worried his shots may turn out lousier than my friend. Doesnt mean you are paid for the job means you can do whatever you want.

Uncle Bob need not just use slr and can be any camera or handphone. As long as he behave in such manners like constant shooting and shooting and shooting like he is the official photographer. - Guests don't do this. Guest take shots among themselves and a few here and there and that's it. Perfectly normal and ok. But for uncle bobs, they are ALWAYS THERE and they are shooting crucial wedding processionals like ceremony, march in, tea ceremony or any part of the important and crucial segments of the wedding- coz this is where there are highest chance of disrupting the workspace of the pros. This is also the time where guests should not be playing their hobby but should be dedicating their attention and respect to the wedding ceremonies.

Also; engaging couples into portraits or shooting portraits setup by the pros, or shooting group shots while the pro is shooting them and asking people to wait for he to also get his shots.

These above, are some classic obnoxious behavior which cause him to be branded as uncle bob. Ultimately it's the selfish behavior, stubbornness, and lack of common sense and respect for the wedding couple and hired professionals that gets him labelled as uncle bob.

The situation you describled is common with lower tier weddings and bridal studio photographers.

Because lower tier weddings often hire cheaper photogrs (sometimes from bridal studios) all who don't really care to manage such issues, or the couple do not trust the photogr becoz of the low pricing and mistakenly think that asking friend to shoot will help. It just make things worst, as proven so many times. For the bridal studio photographers, they may work for several studios and they don't give a hack about customer service or courtesy. What they care about is delivering the job to the job to the bridal studio, if you make their job difficult they will not hesitate to tell you off or push you if you still that thick skin and dont get the point. You may think you are not affecting his shots but actually you still are, as most pros can tell you.

Pissing these bridal studio photographers off does the couple no good coz if they think the particular job is hard with all the hobbyists shooting non stop, they don't see a responsibility to continue their best and just going thru the motion.

So please, the message again is to drop the uncle bob mentality. It's so much better to enjoy your photo hobby in other situations.

Everyone can take shots all they want, but best among themselves and not hinder the pro team doing their job. I don't think any pro will prevent people from taking shots among themselves. Like bro Jason, I only ask the person nicely if he becomes a hindrance and a problem but I cannot control him. I also don't want to bruise his ego because he might become even more blatant. If he is a stubborn person with an altitude of having 'his rights', pushing further will only create more problems. So I do what bro Catchlights and Jason do, I also have my record shots of uncle bob messing up my pics. Ultimately it is the wedding couple's loss.

For your friend's gate crashing part, it is often a tight cramped place, regardless of HDB corridor, landed property, bungalow, etc. Because it is a gals vs guys face-off kind of situations with the gate in the center, thus Gate crashing is always a wide angle type of shoot, and with the videographer around it, the photographer and videographer are already trying to work with each other to both deliver good footage. Another shooter is a serious interference whether beside the pro team, behind him, or the worst opposite them. Plus things most fast, lotsa action and changing of position. Amateurs often lack the experience of weddings to understand this.

I think no professionals ever said they can do whatever they want when they are being paid to do a job. It is often on forums where hobbyists who do not understand the complexity of the matter, and with hurt ego or in a state of anger, put such words into professionals' mouth.

Everything I hear 'the professional worried his shots may turn out lousier than my friend' I disagree. Because it is very unlikely the high end professionals will have lousier shots and it is even more unlikely that the low end budget professionals will care or be worried.

I also do not approve of that photographer elbowing your friend. Hopefully it is not on purpose. Maybe rush of the day or in the heat of the action.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

While I respect your work as a photographer, to brand these people who just want to take a few shots of the gatecrash as thick face is unnecessary. I believe if you are not in the scene, it is unfair for you to judge.

The point I would like to make is that there are some photographers like to brand everyone who hold a dslr as a uncle bob. Of cos there are extreme people who really affect the photographer esp in major entrance, but there are also people who carry their dslr who respect the main shooter.

Such as the photographer I mentioned. Note that not everyone willing to pay for a quality shoot, there are people who are fine with below average photos. To go out of your way to elbow and compromise on your own photos is damn stupid and childish.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Because lower tier weddings often hire cheaper photogrs (sometimes from bridal studios) all who don't really care to manage such issues, or the couple do not trust the photogr becoz of the low pricing and mistakenly think that asking friend to shoot will help. It just make things worst, as proven so many times. For the bridal studio photographers, they may work for several studios and they don't give a hack about customer service or courtesy. What they care about is delivering the job to the job to the bridal studio, if you make their job difficult they will not hesitate to tell you off or push you if you still that thick skin and dont get the point. You may think you are not affecting his shots but actually you still are, as most pros can tell you.

Pissing these bridal studio photographers off does the couple no good coz if they think the particular job is hard with all the hobbyists shooting non stop, they don't see a responsibility to continue their best and just going thru the motion.

So please, the message again is to drop the uncle bob mentality. It's so much better to enjoy your photo hobby in other situations.

For what I said, I disapprove extreme uncle bob as well..

Yes, my friend was new in photography. i dont get it why on earth cant he shoot if he wasnt affecting the main shooter? Please dont tell me given 3-5m is not enough and pros still feel that this will affect their shots.. I simply dont eat this.

He was using a zoom lens shooting from far, significantly far from the main shooter. The joker in order to prevent my friend shooting purposely, back down to block the shots from behind and screwed his composition.

Did I mention many times he wasnt blocking and affecting the main shooter?

Main point, if you want to shoot, can, you dont disturb main shooter, full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Everyone can take shots all they want, but best among themselves and not hinder the pro team doing their job. I don't think any pro will prevent people from taking shots among themselves. Like bro Jason, I only ask the person nicely if he becomes a hindrance and a problem but I cannot control him. I also don't want to bruise his ego because he might become even more blatant. If he is a stubborn person with an altitude of having 'his rights', pushing further will only create more problems. So I do what bro Catchlights and Jason do, I also have my record shots of uncle bob messing up my pics. Ultimately it is the wedding couple's loss.

For your friend's gate crashing part, it is often a tight cramped place, regardless of HDB corridor, landed property, bungalow, etc. Because it is a gals vs guys face-off kind of situations with the gate in the center, thus Gate crashing is always a wide angle type of shoot, and with the videographer around it, the photographer and videographer are already trying to work with each other to both deliver good footage. Another shooter is a serious interference whether beside the pro team, behind him, or the worst opposite them. Plus things most fast, lotsa action and changing of position. Amateurs often lack the experience of weddings to understand this.

I think no professionals ever said they can do whatever they want when they are being paid to do a job. It is often on forums where hobbyists who do not understand the complexity of the matter, and with hurt ego or in a state of anger, put such words into professionals' mouth.

Everything I hear 'the professional worried his shots may turn out lousier than my friend' I disagree. Because it is very unlikely the high end professionals will have lousier shots and it is even more unlikely that the low end budget professionals will care or be worried.

I also do not approve of that photographer elbowing your friend. Hopefully it is not on purpose. Maybe rush of the day or in the heat of the action.
    Last edited by CanonG; 25th June 2012 at 05:54 PM.

While I respect your work as a photographer, to brand these people who just want to take a few shots of the gatecrash as thick face is unnecessary. I believe if you are not in the scene, it is unfair for you to judge.

The point I would like to make is that there are some photographers like to brand everyone who hold a dslr as a uncle bob. Of cos there are extreme people who really affect the photographer esp in major entrance, but there are also people who carry their dslr who respect the main shooter.

Such as the photographer I mentioned. Note that not everyone willing to pay for a quality shoot, there are people who are fine with below average photos. To go out of your way to elbow and compromise on your own photos is damn stupid and childish.
    Likewise you were not at the scene either and your interpretation of the moment is based on your friends account. Perhaps he was told off by the photographer so he complained to you in a stage of bruised ego. Thus not fair to judge that photographer.

But let's just side with you and your friend and assume that photographer did elbow your friend upon seeing him shooting. I wonder if he also elbowed other wedding guests with cameras?

Hopefully not coz we dont need these photographers in the market to give a bad name.

This thread is timely! With my newfound photography skills and a wedding to attend next month...I was gonna be "happy snappy" man....but will probably only limit to my table and our group of friends.

The groom is my army buddy and he has a lot of other friends with chio bu GFs/wives! I will take photos of them! LOL!

For what I said, I disapprove extreme uncle bob as well..

Yes, my friend was new in photography. i dont get it why on earth cant he shoot if he wasnt affecting the main shooter? Please dont tell me given 3-5m is not enough and pros still feel that this will affect their shots.. I simply dont eat this.

He was using a zoom lens shooting from far, significantly far from the main shooter. The joker in order to prevent my friend shooting purposely, back down to block the shots from behind and screwed his composition.

Did I mention many times he wasnt blocking and affecting the main shooter?

Main point, if you want to shoot, can, you dont disturb main shooter, full stop.
    Hmm, wait a minute. If the pro photog was backing up to get a wider shot, he don't have eyes behind him right?

How on earth would the pro knows your friend is 3-5m behind when he is concentrating on his job?

And why must he, while in the execution of his duty - wedding moments happening right in front of him - turn around to make sure your friend, an extra guy, get a clear shot?

Plus, how do you know its 3-5meters? Your friend told you?

Or are you that 'friend'?

Or maybe you are that guy that bro zeehamzah mentioned in post #16 of this thread?

I take offense to that, very seriously. Dont have to come shooting silly questions just becos I dont agree fully to wat you said. I dont even read clearly on what zeehamzah bro was saying. This is an online forum, people dont have to agree with whatever you said.

Despite making my point known several times, you seems to enjoy twisting what I said.

If you need a full clarification to justify your questions, let me state it very very very clearly.
    I AM NOT THE PHOTOGRAPGHER.

I am just referring to an experience shared by my friend, if there is a problem to that.

Hmm, wait a minute. If the pro photog was backing up to get a wider shot, he don't have eyes behind him right?

How on earth would the pro knows your friend is 3-5m behind when he is concentrating on his job?

And why must he, while in the execution of his duty - wedding moments happening right in front of him - turn around to make sure your friend, an extra guy, get a clear shot?

Plus, how do you know its 3-5meters? Your friend told you?

Or are you that 'friend'?

Or maybe you are that guy that bro zeehamzah mentioned in post #16 of this thread?
    Last edited by CanonG; 25th June 2012 at 06:25 PM.

Please don't be angry. The last three questions of my previous post was teasing you. Though the first three questions of the same post is serious and food for thought for discerning readers.

I honestly find this discussion very interesting.

Much as I don't like overzealous friends/family who do an extreme uncle bob at weddings who do get in the way of the professional photographer, I think there's a point to make about the wedding photographer who is not so professional. Essentially, some wedding photographers are also guys with cameras looking to make a quick buck - they don't like shooting weddings as much as the next person due to the hassle and stress involved, but do it for the money.

My issue with them starts when they aren't able to deliver quality shots, regardless of whether uncle bobs get in the way. And like you said, wedding photography is about trust and people skills. Some can get downright rude, although it is pretty rare (anyone with a brain can tell that it is bad for business to be rude to the couple or their guests, so I guess most just try to ignore the guests that get in their way and take it in their stride). The good ones will probably communicate with such people, or even make friends with the overzealous uncle bobs to make them understand that the wedding photog needs space to work.

Unfortunately, my impression of the state of the industry is that bad professionals outnumber the good ones at a high ratio. While I'm sure that the problems raised doesn't lie with experience veterans like those posting in this thread, the problems do exist, especially when the couples cheap out and hire budget photogs, or even those part of a wedding package. Yeah, I know, pay peanuts, get monkeys applies here. Not exactly the fault of the real professional photog; the barriers of entry to the industry isn't exactly high if you don't go for high end cameras, editing software - which is the case for most budget photogs.

I would think that the degree of professionalism of such photographers is the question that I, as a guest with a photography hobby is concerned with. Most wedding photogs are ok with guests shooting with small pns, handphones. Most are even okay with those shooting with fancy rangefinders, or more advanced systems like m43rds. However when a guest/relative appears with huge dslr attached with flash unit and the works, I find inevitable that the wedding photog goes 'Oh no, another darn uncle bob playing with his camera....." in his mind, whether the guest gets in his way or not.

The important part is how the professional wedding photographer handles the situation, and of course, it is not his/her fault if the shots do get ruined by the uncle bob. But the instant condemnation of the guest-with-advanced-camera is what I have issue with, especially when it exhibits itself in the behavior of photog towards a guest. Wedding photography is at its core, a service industry. Award winning photos are a bonus. But many people who does this line 'professionally' forgets the core tenet, which is service.

The point I'm trying to make here is that wedding photographers, professional or not, should not categorize all non-professionals as just another uncle bob. Sure, there are extreme guests that I might make it a point to pull them out of the way of the professional should I know them. But there are also the crappy professionals who don't handle such situations well when they should, and worst of all, aren't able to deliver the final results.

The first 3 question is plain stupid question coming from a internet troll + it is sooo obvious you are implying something...

Please dont tell me you are teasing when you dont meant it.

If you really want me to put it that clear, YES I WILL ANSWER your questions.

Hmm, wait a minute. If the pro was backing up to get a wider shot, he don't have eyes behind him right?
    I have already told u UMPTEEN times the photographer was on purpose.
    DO NOT TWIST WHAT I SAID. I certainly did not!

what an internet troll... dont bs and pretend to help the reader when you are totally trolling and twisting whatever I said.

If you are not the internet troll, the only reason I can think of is that you must be that photographer...

Please don't be angry. The last three questions of my previous post was teasing you. Though the first three questions of the same post is serious and food for thought for discerning readers.
    Last edited by CanonG; 25th June 2012 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larken View Post
    I honestly find this discussion very interesting.

Much as I don't like overzealous friends/family who do an extreme uncle bob at weddings who do get in the way of the professional photographer, I think there's a point to make about the wedding photographer who is not so professional. Essentially, some wedding photographers are also guys with cameras looking to make a quick buck - they don't like shooting weddings as much as the next person due to the hassle and stress involved, but do it for the money.

My issue with them starts when they aren't able to deliver quality shots, regardless of whether uncle bobs get in the way. And like you said, wedding photography is about trust and people skills. Some can get downright rude, although it is pretty rare (anyone with a brain can tell that it is bad for business to be rude to the couple or their guests, so I guess most just try to ignore the guests that get in their way and take it in their stride). The good ones will probably communicate with such people, or even make friends with the overzealous uncle bobs to make them understand that the wedding photog needs space to work.

Unfortunately, my impression of the state of the industry is that bad professionals outnumber the good ones at a high ratio. While I'm sure that the problems raised doesn't lie with experience veterans like those posting in this thread, the problems do exist, especially when the couples cheap out and hire budget photogs, or even those part of a wedding package. Yeah, I know, pay peanuts, get monkeys applies here. Not exactly the fault of the real professional photog; the barriers of entry to the industry isn't exactly high if you don't go for high end cameras, editing software - which is the case for most budget photogs.

I would think that the degree of professionalism of such photographers is the question that I, as a guest with a photography hobby is concerned with. Most wedding photogs are ok with guests shooting with small pns, handphones. Most are even okay with those shooting with fancy rangefinders, or more advanced systems like m43rds. However when a guest/relative appears with huge dslr attached with flash unit and the works, I find inevitable that the wedding photog goes 'Oh no, another darn uncle bob playing with his camera....." in his mind, whether the guest gets in his way or not.

The important part is how the professional wedding photographer handles the situation, and of course, it is not his/her fault if the shots do get ruined by the uncle bob. But the instant condemnation of the guest-with-advanced-camera is what I have issue with, especially when it exhibits itself in the behavior of photog towards a guest. Wedding photography is at its core, a service industry. Award winning photos are a bonus. But many people who does this line 'professionally' forgets the core tenet, which is service.

The point I'm trying to make here is that wedding photographers, professional or not, should not categorize all non-professionals as just another uncle bob. Sure, there are extreme guests that I might make it a point to pull them out of the way of the professional should I know them. But there are also the crappy professionals who don't handle such situations well when they should, and worst of all, aren't able to deliver the final results.
    You summed it up nicely, I find nothing to disagree on. There are a lot of bad hats and they aren't just restricted to those with a 'limpei is the official photographer' attitude. Some can be very nice but lying thru their teeth they donno hack how to shoot weddings.

The point is to chose your wedding photographer carefully. I don't easily believe the 'cannot afford it' reason coz I think most of the time is 'don't want to afford'.

How many times an average person hires a professional photographer in his/her life for themselves? Not for their companies or anyone else.

Most only once. For their wedding. Don't anyhow hire from bridal studio who you won't know who will be showing up. Meet the photog, see how he behave, ask questions, examine portfolio. Don't end up with a dork.

If you are still aiming on what I have said.. I said again.

People pay what ever they want, if they just dont need to have their photo taken well, and willing to pay peanuts to get peanuts, why not??? As long as they dont complain, it is perfectly fine.

You summed it up nicely, I find nothing to disagree on. There are a lot of bad hats and they aren't just restricted to those with a 'limpei is the official photographer' attitude. Some can be very nice but lying thru their teeth they donno hack how to shoot weddings.

The point is to chose your wedding photographer carefully. I don't easily believe the 'cannot afford it' reason coz I think most of the time is 'don't want to afford'.

How many times an average person hires a professional photographer in his/her life for themselves? Not for their companies or anyone else.

Most only once. For their wedding. Don't anyhow hire from bridal studio who you won't know who will be showing up. Meet the photog, see how he behave, ask questions, examine portfolio. Don't end up with a dork.

People pay what ever they want, if they just dont need to have their photo taken well, and willing to pay peanuts to get peanuts, why not??? As long as they dont complain, it is perfectly fine.
    Relax man, I think you had taken the thread a bit too personal.

I dont think he was aiming at you when he reply to Larken coz he had been saying similar things to other people in other threads too.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

First, ah lian/auntie quarreling on MRT train, then old men on fighting on the bus, next, pros and uncle bobs jostling and shouting at a wedding?

Unless the bride/groom are celebrities where there will be restrictions, no one says only pros can take photos at weddings. Only 'bobs' who are close relatives' or friends will ever bother to bring their own cameras for any weddings, so what right does the pros have to offend them? If the pro feels that it is beneath him to be fighting for space with bob or that his pictures are not going to be better, then he should not be there in the first place. Shouldn't he be using his professional skill to get the special angle or shot that the ordinary joe cannot see? In any case, he should be thankful that he is the only one getting paid for the job. At the last wedding I attended, 2 young wedding photographers with pro-looking cameras wearing vests with loud logos were staying put and waiting for the couples to move near them before they bother to take any pictures while the bobs were busy moving around capturing the event and enjoying themselves. So much for professionalism. Let's see if the pro can live it down if a nasty incident between pro and bob should occur to spoil the wedding couple's special day, regardless of who started it.

Chill man...
    TS made some perfectly valid points at the start of the thread, but it seems to have derailed into something personal.
    The fact is:
    There are obnoxious hobbyist photographers who affect the outcome of the wedding photography negatively. There are also incompetent 'paid' (don't know if 'professional' aptly describes them) photographers who accept peanuts and deliver rubbish, as well as behaving boorishly.

Whatever your friend experienced was unfortunate, but take a step back and cool off. Do refrain from all the name-calling.
    My experience with professional wedding photographers so far has been pleasant to say the least. Not once have i seen them physically or verbally abuse an Uncle Bob.

The fact is: as more and more people take up photography as a hobby, it is likely we'll see more enthusiastic guests at weddings. This thread is simply to raise awareness that such behaviour exists, and hopefully ideas will surface on how to deal with these types of situations in a cordial manner.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by choocn View Post
    First, ah lian/auntie quarreling on MRT train, then old men on fighting on the bus, next, pros and uncle bobs jostling and shouting at a wedding?

Unless the bride/groom are celebrities where there will be restrictions, no one says only pros can take photos at weddings. Only 'bobs' who are close relatives' or friends will ever bother to bring their own cameras for any weddings, so what right does the pros have to offend them? If the pro feels that it is beneath him to be fighting for space with bob or that his pictures are not going to be better, then he should not be there in the first place. Shouldn't he be using his professional skill to get the special angle or shot that the ordinary joe cannot see? In any case, he should be thankful that he is the only one getting paid for the job. At the last wedding I attended, 2 young wedding photographers with pro-looking cameras wearing vests with loud logos were staying put and waiting for the couples to move near them before they bother to take any pictures while the bobs were busy moving around capturing the event and enjoying themselves. So much for professionalism. Let's see if the pro can live it down if a nasty incident between pro and bob should occur to spoil the wedding couple's special day, regardless of who started it.
    It's not so much about the pro feeling that it is beneath him to jostle for space, but rather that he or she was paid (by the wedding couple) to do a job, and the interference of Uncle Bob would likely be to the detriment of that.
    You don't see parents tagging along with their children when they are engaged in a learning activity (e.g. driving lessons) and being back-seat driver, do you? The point is that the driving instructor is paid to do a job, so should be given the appropriate environment to accomplish it.
    Exploring! :)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast