Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

  1. #21

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    Quote Originally Posted by dniwkh View Post
    If u have a uwa, the other lens should be a tele prime. Having two bodies will allow u to shoot the tele more often. Else people is very lazy to change lens.

    thats true, thats why considering selling the 17-55 but the picture quality is really good hence in a dilemma. on the two bodies note, personally to me, to carry two bodies on a vacation is a tad to over the top, unless partner carries one and i carry one. but thats just me

    Cheers!

  2. #22

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    Quote Originally Posted by slim86 View Post
    eh thanks bro.. u get me some feeling of it.. i see many ppl use UWA.. now im thinking of getting one.. perhaps like what u say and may be many others exp as wel, will be more useful.. prob ill add in primes on top of that like bro surrephoto mentioned.. not sure if my 17-40 will be ok. im landscaper but dunno if UWA is ok for couple shots as well.. or may be the best choice for a travel like this is a lens like 15-85mm.. sigh..
    thanks bro, i catch the feeling u have!

    Hi bro, my 10-22 is the EF-S lens so for crop bodies and it rougly eqautes to 16-35 on a FF. i am sure it would be enough for general landscape pictures. I find myself shooting at full wide almost all the time, using it like a prime. haha!

    some pictures to share of the pics that i have taken with the 10-22 and the 17-55 on my current tour so maybe you could have a comparison.

    17-55mm














    To be continued...

  3. #23

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    10-22











    Most important is have a great time with the love of your life.

    Hope that helps!!

  4. #24

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    Quote Originally Posted by slim86 View Post
    thanks im getting convinced by all the bros here
    from my recent few overseas vacations with my fiance I have learnt that:
    1. It is very tiresome to lug my Thinktank Streetwalker Hard drive (with a 1D Mark 3, 16-35L II, 50L, 70-300L, 580EX2, spare batts, spare cards, LEE filter pouch, Gitzo 1541T, Markins Q3 ballhead). This is especially so when you need to hike up or down a hill. I slow her down, I slow the entire tour down, and I need leg massages every night.
    2. I care more on her safety than my photography opportunities. Whenever I stop to grab a photo I cannot really pay attention to composing my shot as I can't have her out of my sight.
    3. Camera sleeps in my backpack when I am at urban areas. Won't want to be targeted by robbers.
    4. Difficult to maneuver in shopping malls and shops when you have a huge backpack behind you.

    I rather put my full attention to my fiance/ wife when it comes to romantic trips... one can always arrange another photography-centric trip to the same place but with a more specialized tour group.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

  5. #25
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    I rather put my full attention to my fiance/ wife when it comes to romantic trips... one can always arrange another photography-centric trip to the same place but with a more specialized tour group.
    fiancée you mean
    Unfortunately after marriage arranging dedicated photo trips becomes a more difficult affair .. at least for me.

    Ryan

  6. #26

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    fiancée you mean
    Unfortunately after marriage arranging dedicated photo trips becomes a more difficult affair .. at least for me.

    Ryan
    haha thanks for the correction. yup even for now it is difficult to arrange photography trips... and she's not even my wife yet.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

  7. #27

    Default

    Yes too cumbersome to travel with large backpack and gears. Especially in Europe where taking more of landscape or architecture buildings, uwa is enough.

  8. #28
    Member sf_kang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    642

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    Hi TS,
    I'd like to share some pointers re photography during your honeymoon in Europe.

    1) First, it's your honeymoon, focus on enjoying your honeymoon as a couple. Bring basic camera stuff to capture the moments you two would spend together. This will give you many years of pleasant memories. So, a DSLR with a 'walk about' zoom lens, e.g. 24-120mm on a FX body. Leave your tripod at home. If slow shutter speeds are encountered, improvise by leaning camera onto a lamp post, bench, pillar, etc. Bring a decent compact, e.g. Canon G12 or something for those times you don't want to lug a DSLR.

    2) BEWARE! Beware of camera stuff being stolen or even snatched away. I once got my camera bag snatched from in between my legs in Milan, Italy. No place in Europe is 'safe' as far as this is concerned. Worst still are the touristy, crowded places. NEVER hand your camera to a stranger to have him take a picture for you. (I've been to 47 countries and I can confidently share these cautions).

    3) Be as inconspicious as possible. Gaffer up your DSLR bodies so that the brand, model, etc. is not easily recognisable. Be alert to who is near you, don't get carried away with your picture taking. Keep a look out for each other. Dress as low key as possible. Put your stuff back into your camera bag when not in use. When resting at a roadside cafe or something, DO NOT leave the camera and stuff on the table. The thieves are PROs. The common ruse is to tip over, spill something on you, and in the moment of distraction, your camera gear disappears.

    Give you honeymoon priority. Don't get distracted. By all means, take some shots for memories' sake.
    Cheers.
    Fred



    2)

  9. #29

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    Hi TS,

    Just my few humble cents that I'd like to share.

    As with what most of the other peeps here have said, weight is really a factor. Walking around, long days will really weight in on you if you take too much equipment out...

    Most trips, I'd travel with my D700 and 24-70 and a 50mm. That's it. Tripod wise I'd pack a Benro Flat tripod, just google it. It's really small and it folds flat saving space in your luggage. If you can afford it, get the carbon fibre ones which can hold much weight but is extremely light.

    That's pretty much how I travel. But most importantly, ENJOY YOUR HONEYMOON!
    Good leaders don't just lead their men to victory, they lead them home.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Yew Tee
    Posts
    677

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    For myself EP-3 and a gorillapod is good enough for travelling but my set of filter will never leave my ep3 sight ..
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

  11. #31
    Member slim86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    Quote Originally Posted by sf_kang View Post
    Hi TS,
    I'd like to share some pointers re photography during your honeymoon in Europe.

    1) First, it's your honeymoon, focus on enjoying your honeymoon as a couple. Bring basic camera stuff to capture the moments you two would spend together. This will give you many years of pleasant memories. So, a DSLR with a 'walk about' zoom lens, e.g. 24-120mm on a FX body. Leave your tripod at home. If slow shutter speeds are encountered, improvise by leaning camera onto a lamp post, bench, pillar, etc. Bring a decent compact, e.g. Canon G12 or something for those times you don't want to lug a DSLR.

    2) BEWARE! Beware of camera stuff being stolen or even snatched away. I once got my camera bag snatched from in between my legs in Milan, Italy. No place in Europe is 'safe' as far as this is concerned. Worst still are the touristy, crowded places. NEVER hand your camera to a stranger to have him take a picture for you. (I've been to 47 countries and I can confidently share these cautions).

    3) Be as inconspicious as possible. Gaffer up your DSLR bodies so that the brand, model, etc. is not easily recognisable. Be alert to who is near you, don't get carried away with your picture taking. Keep a look out for each other. Dress as low key as possible. Put your stuff back into your camera bag when not in use. When resting at a roadside cafe or something, DO NOT leave the camera and stuff on the table. The thieves are PROs. The common ruse is to tip over, spill something on you, and in the moment of distraction, your camera gear disappears.

    Give you honeymoon priority. Don't get distracted. By all means, take some shots for memories' sake.
    Cheers.
    Fred



    2)
    Hi sf_kang

    thanks for your valuable sharing. really appreciate that! been a busy week just free today to check my posting..
    im currently saving for a decent compact / mirrorless.. with the hope that canon will come with one soon!
    So europe is not safe enough for this kind of stuff yet.. i will be more cautious then.. thanks!
    My best friend Canon 60D, 17-40L, 70-200 f/4L

  12. #32
    Member slim86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    Quote Originally Posted by iron symphony View Post
    Hi TS,

    Just my few humble cents that I'd like to share.

    As with what most of the other peeps here have said, weight is really a factor. Walking around, long days will really weight in on you if you take too much equipment out...

    Most trips, I'd travel with my D700 and 24-70 and a 50mm. That's it. Tripod wise I'd pack a Benro Flat tripod, just google it. It's really small and it folds flat saving space in your luggage. If you can afford it, get the carbon fibre ones which can hold much weight but is extremely light.

    That's pretty much how I travel. But most importantly, ENJOY YOUR HONEYMOON!
    hi!

    thanks for the sharing.. as mentioned im planning to bring one dslr + general lens + 1 prime.. probably getting a canon mirroless to pair with!
    tripod i will decide once it comes near to the trip. i still doubt bringing it as mentioned by a couple of bro.. could be a burden and may spoil the purpose of the honeymoon itself..
    thanks!
    My best friend Canon 60D, 17-40L, 70-200 f/4L

  13. #33

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    One Body + One lens (17-55) is good enough.

    Even though my tripod is about 1kg only and quite small (35cm), Im still considering whether to throw into my rolling luggage for my taiwan trip or not.

    I will enjoy walking light but I dont want to miss those beautiful night street with nice flood light wor

  14. #34

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Learnphotography View Post
    One Body + One lens (17-55) is good enough.

    Even though my tripod is about 1kg only and quite small (35cm), Im still considering whether to throw into my rolling luggage for my taiwan trip or not.

    I will enjoy walking light but I dont want to miss those beautiful night street with nice flood light wor
    you can consider one of those standing monopods. It may not be as steady as a tripod but good enough, and its more convenient to bring along

  15. #35
    Member Shahrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Admiralty, SG
    Posts
    420

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    Hi TS,

    Just wanna share my experience. I just came back from honeymoon in Paris abt a month ago. My wife is definitely not a 'camera' nor a 'photography' person but nevertheless, I still had great time taking photos there WITHOUT neglecting her. We definitely had a memorable and a romantic time. This is what I did,

    1) Planning
    I read up a lot about the places that I will visit. Taking note of 'must' photographic places, scenes and at the same time, plan to do something romantic eg: watching sunset/sunrise, romantic cafes and stuffs. Take a hard look at your itineraries.

    2) Look at other people's photographs
    Steal some ideas and be inspired by them. See what kind of photos that you really like. And what kind of photos is a 'die die must take' photo. Often I'll share this 'vision' with my wife. I will try to get her involve in my photography if I can. Of course you need to be creative yourself and produce a never-seen before photos.

    3) Gears
    If you are into landscape and long exposure photography, then a tripod is a must no matter how heavy it is. And only bring them on the day that you plan to do that photography. I only use my tripod for only a few hours and the rest of the time, I just chuck it in the hotel. Generally, UWA lens are good for indoors/architectures and 17-50mm for general use. My gears are:

    1. Film camera for B&W (21mm & 50mm)
    2. Film camera for color (38mm)
    3. Compact camera (Ricoh GRD 2) - I use this a lot to take couple shots since it is small and easy to use. I took a lot of candids with this too.
    4. iPhone - more discreet for street photography and for fast photo upload to the internet whenever I get free wifi back at the hotel.
    5. Tripod - only use it on the 3rd day when taking long exposure photo of Eiffel (weather not on my side that day )
    6. Small sling bag - for my two film cameras, a couple of film rolls, passport. (The sling bag never left my body)


    My cameras are always in the bag unless I want to take pictures. I don't walk around with the camera around my neck. I don't think it is safe to do so in other countries. And you will definitely look better without the 'Canon' or 'Nikon' logo on the neckstrap in your couple photos. Bring the smallest camera bag that you can for walkabout and keep the rest of the unwanted items in the luggage. You wanna look good while travelling too and not too worry so much about gears.

    My point is, you need to give a thorough look at your planned trip. One hand to hold a camera and the other one to hold your wife's hand. Even though no matter how hard you plan, things might still not go your way so just have fun. Safety is your utmost priority. Don't get too caught up with photography. Slow down your pace and enjoy the trip. When both of you are happy, it'll just show in your photos.

    Have a safe journey.

    My recent trip - [Shahrie] Streets of Paris (Film, 2012)
    Last edited by Shahrie; 9th July 2012 at 06:42 PM.
    500px Mobile “The most important things in life aren't things”

  16. #36

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    Hello,

    In European major cities, one has to be mindful of crowded trains and touristy places, with their fair share of pickpockets & petty thieves. On a honeymoon, you would want to move about from place to place with as few items as possible.

    The only DSLR I have with me when traveling is a 550D with a 18-135 kit lens. We also use a S95 compact. I'd say, leave your tripod at home, buy one there if you really needed one. Like some have advised here, better to focus on your honeymoon and not on camera gears.

    I share with you some recently taken travel-photos in Paris and Barcelona. I've just uploaded these in the Gallery.

    Best Rgds

    Louvre Museum entrance & shopping area - ClubSNAP Photo Galleries

    Painter's Square in Paris - ClubSNAP Photo Galleries

    Louvre Museum in Paris - ClubSNAP Photo Galleries

    At Ave du Champs Elysees in Paris - ClubSNAP Photo Galleries

    Sagrada Familia in Barcelona - ClubSNAP Photo Galleries

    Sagrada Familia in Barcelona - ClubSNAP Photo Galleries
    Hobbyist; Weekend SG Tourist

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    I too will be heading to Europe this August for approximately 6 months.

    As much as I'd like to bring all my gear, I think i'll just bring 1dslr 1 flash 1 uwa. My main concern are the pickpockets and snatch thieves. Thus i'll be double hooking my dslr with a shoulder sling strap attached to the tripod base and a neck strap. lol. Also searching for gaffer tapes to hide the camera and red ring
    No tripod for me though as the group I'm traveling with are not avid photographers, so I doubt there will be time to set up and shoot. For those really packed streets i'll just use my iphone.

    Now i'm still thinking whether to bring along a film slr....

  18. #38

    Default Re: need advise from experienced traveler on camera gears (europe/honeymoon)

    Quote Originally Posted by ehwhatthe View Post
    I too will be heading to Europe this August for approximately 6 months.

    As much as I'd like to bring all my gear, I think i'll just bring 1dslr 1 flash 1 uwa. My main concern are the pickpockets and snatch thieves. Thus i'll be double hooking my dslr with a shoulder sling strap attached to the tripod base and a neck strap. lol. Also searching for gaffer tapes to hide the camera and red ring
    No tripod for me though as the group I'm traveling with are not avid photographers, so I doubt there will be time to set up and shoot. For those really packed streets i'll just use my iphone.

    Now i'm still thinking whether to bring along a film slr....
    A camera is still a camera regardless of how you tape it or hide it. Just exercise caution and be alert all the time.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •