Thread: Boat Trail

Default Boat Trail

Hi, i was doing some night shooting along the waterfront of MBS and was using long exposure. I realize that there will be boat trail whenever i use long exposure let's say 30sec. How can i get a shot with a stationary looking boat without any trail and still having a smooth water effect? The settings was f/22, 30sec, iso100

I hope the seniors here can share knowledge with me.

Thank you

Default Re: Boat Trail

it's impossible. then moment u use slow shutter speed. any passing objects with light will become light trails. besides the water is not still, boats will rock.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    it's impossible. then moment u use slow shutter speed. any passing objects with light will become light trails. besides the water is not still, boats will rock.
    But i read from somewhere think from the critique section that it is always distracting to see boat trail on the water?? *scratch head*

Either shoot when there is no more boat service (eg 3am) or clone it off

Quote Originally Posted by skinnywitch View Post
    But i read from somewhere think from the critique section that it is always distracting to see boat trail on the water?? *scratch head*
    boat trail can distract or add a plus (as lead in lines) to your photos... so depends how u capture it and at what angle?

Quote Originally Posted by skinnywitch
    Hi, i was doing some night shooting along the waterfront of MBS and was using long exposure. I realize that there will be boat trail whenever i use long exposure let's say 30sec. How can i get a shot with a stationary looking boat without any trail and still having a smooth water effect? The settings was f/22, 30sec, iso100

I hope the seniors here can share knowledge with me.

Thank you
    Take the shot after the boat service stops. Later in night air also more still n you get a smoother mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    boat trail can distract or add a plus (as lead in lines) to your photos... so depends how u capture it and at what angle?
    so if let's say, while i am shooting the laser show from MBS, it would be fine with the boat trail?

Quote Originally Posted by skinnywitch

so if let's say, while i am shooting the laser show from MBS, it would be fine with the boat trail?
    It will still be distracting if your light trails do not contribute to the photo

Quote Originally Posted by skinnywitch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    It will still be distracting if your light trails do not contribute to the photo
    the boat trails will not gel nicely with the Light Show IMHO. which do you want your friends to look at? the Light Show or the Boat Trails?

but it also depends on how many trails you get in your picture

You can wait for the boat to go out of yr angle then u start shooting. That will prevent boat trail on your photos when doing long exposures