Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: AD wedding video problem and how to react?

Default Re: AD wedding video problem and how to react?

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    Just a note on "TV Judges" series,

The judges are actual judges in US Courts of Law
    However in the TV series the plaintiff and defendants are actually arguing out their cases in a private arbitration " court " chaired by the said Judge, without lawyers present.

The participants must agree to the TV producers terms and sign a contract accepting the arbitration decision (of which legality is sometimes disputed, eg Judge Judy awarded certain rights in a case of separation/divorce, which intruded into the jurisdiction of the actual Family Court (or equivalent) and the ruling on the Judge Judy TV show was deemed invalid)

Further to this the participants both plaintiff and defendants do get an appearance fee. For Judge Judy shows,the awarded sum to case-winner is not taken from the loser but from a payout fund provided by the TV producers and is capped at $5'000.

Learned something new everyday. =)

I might be the odd one out here, but somehow I dun agree to awarding $2500 to the defendants even though the couple's upset, when they only paid $1300. Maybe that's for "Show Effect". I don't know.

Also I dun think the pictures are that badly compose. It's not the very best, but it cannot be dismissed as standard shots.
    As for sharpness, or noise, , the Rebel is probably better than all the digital cameras we used 10 years ago!

And though I have not used 70-300mm, I read it's not that bad to deem that it cannot take good shots.

Then only flaw I can find with the photographers is that, when asked what aperture the 70-300mm has, she replied that she don't know.
    BAD BAD BAD. Everyone should know this at their finger tips when shooting for paid assignments.

Well but these are just my thoughts and how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgethis View Post

TV Judge verbally rapes wannabe 'professional' photogs for bad decisions and plain ignorance. Sound familiar?
    feel like giving that b*** a b****slap!

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    u made too many mistakes... i also dunno how to advise you. -_-" i can only say... what's done already done... cannot be undone... just hope you wun get hell from your client. But he has himself to blame to trust you with this job.
    I believe its a case of budget vs quality again. So in the end, the blame game should not be happening as the client would have know TS is inexperience and TS knew his inexperience demands the type of budget & quality.

Quote Originally Posted by S2Glow View Post
    yes , i did get pump up till everything dont goes my way , that is when i started to feel mad about it and keep thinking why cant my 1st video be a smooth ride. i am not a wedding videographer yet but soon i will be ^^ . thanks lol , i will go nea website see next time, i never even thought of NEA -_- fail me. yeah next time i will recce the site for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by rawNature View Post
    It's the attitude problem.
    You cant even respect the duty you have to your client.

I only see your comments like "stupid stuff" that your client do at the gate, etc...blaming everything in the world except taking a step back & think what you have done wrong. This kind of attitude will not get you very far.

And seriously I think those who were kind enough to advise you wasted their time to do so.
    Look TS, if you take the past opportunity as a learning opp, that is the attitude. At least you told or mentioned to the couple you are inexperience just wanna buildup portfolio.

If you couldnt expect the unexpected, then anticipate next time. As a pro or not, anticipation is the key to expect what will happen next.

There can be harsh comments over here because many would have feel that you have fouled up a couple's wedding... badly. But comments are necessary for a person to learn. So I hope after this saga, you can be better prepared and experience gained.

When I did my first wedding, I gotten a mic, LED light and HVX202 and tripod to help me. Although I had the necessary stuffs for a general assignment, I would not be so 101% sure I would do a great job, however everything went smooth and the production was good and memorable for the couple.

We learn from every opportunity. Make the scene/shot count.

Quote Originally Posted by rus2210 View Post
    Just read through the thread. Really, what a shame!!!

Someone should have posted TS details and his photo to warn future couples of this "scammer". Instead of being apologetic and learning humbly, all he does is to blame everything else but himself. Truly a Gen Z strawberry boy.

Even if the wedding couple hired him for only $10, they should sue him for 1000x more. But even that will not help them recover their mistake of hiring this shameless scammer!

TS, please, to show you have a conscience, return them the fee they paid, get a professional data recover, and offer a professional to edit the video all on your charge!
    Quote Originally Posted by rus2210 View Post
    Everyone, pardon me for my harsh words. Really very angry such people exist. Shameless!!
    I think when one need to critique others, one should think of himself/herself first. Losing your cool doesnt do yourself or TS any good.
    Last edited by hanqiang1011; 29th July 2012 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    I believe its a case of budget vs quality again. So in the end, the blame game should not be happening as the client would have know TS is inexperience and TS knew his inexperience demands the type of budget & quality.
    Sorry, the TS went around telling people that he has been 'doing video for very long'. He didn't even admit his inexperience. What he had was a shipload of arrogance and assumption.
    Canon 5D MkIII|70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM|24-70 f2.8 L II USM|Σ 50 f1.4 EX DG HSM

I have serious doubts about your intentions when you dig up old posts to criticise.
    Take a hard look at yourself then.

Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    I think when one need to critique others, one should think of himself/herself first. Losing your cool doesnt do yourself or TS any good.

Hi, my 2 cents worth of sharing with newbies who will like to enter the wedding event videography industry...

My 1st wedding project was in 2002 or 2003 (I forgot). Shot it entirely on a Sony Handycam (single CCD, tape-based, model => PC9E). Lots of footage noise, small HDB, makeup took place before sunrise. It was my friend's wedding and I offered my service for free. I got a $100 angpow (I was damn happy!). No SDE coz I had no video card in my PC back then, only delivered a 1.5 hr long video on VCD 1.5 mths after the wedding. 1-man shoot. No lights.

1st problem : How to use prime lens on 600D on a small room as i notice alot of video use aperture effects on make up part , can 600D do the job ?
    2nd problem : how to overcome insufficient space and the lighting , F3.5 + 3200 iso still dark as hell , the quality is ZZZ ? using a 600D kit lens is already an issue when shooting those person half body. T_T i am at lost because 600D seems like a **** equipment for wedding.

600D is ok for a newbie. But your 50mm becomes an 85mm equiv. There are not many makeup shots you can do with a 85mm equiv. Next time use focal lengths, e.g. 16mm => 25mm equiv & 35mm => 55mm equiv. Ok to use F2.8 lens for the 16mm, but you have to go below F2.8 for the 35mm. Rent if no $. Factor rental cost into your quote next time (you must cut down on your earnings). Altho the ISO3200 noise doesn't look professional, I feel it is still better than wat we had in camcorders last time...

Don't play aperture effects on your first few jobs. Get content shots. Play it safe. Coz I believe you don't know what shots you want to shoot. Things will happen so fast that hundreds of ideas goes thru your head all the time. You'll always be 2-3 secs too late. You'll need many many projects to get enuf experience to know what to ignore and overcome this.

Insufficient space can be become by using wider angle lens (next time perhaps). Altho I carry LED lights and light stand as well, your lighting was actually ok to make do for a newbie. Turn the bride to face watever light you have in the room. Makeup artists don't need the mirror during makeup, they need the mirror only during hairdo. Help the makeup artist shift her kit and carry extra stools into the room for her if necessary.

3rd problem : raining so heavily , will you risk your dslr on small rain just to take some shot?
    Your 600D can take the rain lah... I stick my 5Ds, 60Ds out of cars to shoot bridal cars on the move during heavy rain (no rain jacket) and they get all drenched. But they still work fine today. Just wipe it dry after your shot. But you should avoid getting water droplets on your lens (spoils your footage much more than noise).

4th problem : i accidentally delete the gatecrash raw video o-o, if you were me , what to do?
    Stop shooting on that card immediately and use a recovery software later. You can get it back easily. Next time don't leave the menu on the "Format" button when you exit the menu.

5th problem : express edit only have 4 hour + to do a 7 min video. what to do if you cant complete a good video within timeframe? , for me i just lump all the b-rolls clip inside.
    If you really can't output the video in time, tell your couple the problems you had and that you can't produce a good video to impress their guests. Don't just dump the B-rolls with the music... You'll spoil the guests' impression of the couple. Always think for your customer 1st. Offer some form of compensation in return (e.g. refund?)... You got to be honest. Integrity will see you thru.

General advice for newbies in wedding videography,
    1) Tell your couples your lack of experience in wedding videography. Don't be shy. Couples are ok with low quality and the high risks involved if they know they are paying you peanuts. I bet they didn't budget for video anyway!
    2) Don't promise SDE on your 1st few projects. Do your 1st SDE as a surprise service for your couple at no charge (hence no risk if you can't produce it in time, just challenge yourself).
    3) Don't be ambitions with your shots. Shoot content shots. Hold long enuf for every shot. Shooting Non-repeatable events like AD weddings is different from shooting short films where you can get your talents to wayang a 100 times after you've changed to the lens of choice (altho I've head of videographers who ask couples to wayang a lot...). There is hardly any chance for retakes for wedding event videos (but there are some simple shot formulae that is fail-safe), so go for simple boring shots for your 1st few projects. Watching too many wedding videos from industry professions will do newbies more harm than good if you want to copy some of their shots. Honestly, for every 5 good shots you see in those videos, there are at least another 5-10 equally good shots that are not chosen for the edit.
    4) Don't get assistants to shoot along unless you are gonna format your card again. Untrained assistants may hinder you in your shots if you did not plan your roles before the AD.
    4) Don't expect to earn much for your portfolio works. It is normal to spend more than wat your couples pay you. Best is to do it for free (i.e. no risk for the couple & less stress for yourself). And that is how everyone enter the industry. But don't be overzealous and block the hired photographer hor... haha...

I hope everyone don't bash the TS or other ppe anymore lah... let's give more helping advice.

Quote Originally Posted by alternus View Post
    I hope everyone don't bash the TS or other ppe anymore lah... let's give more helping advice.
    Instead of reading just the first post, read his replies to some of the questions posed to him by others.
    Canon 5D MkIII|70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM|24-70 f2.8 L II USM|Σ 50 f1.4 EX DG HSM

Quote Originally Posted by S2Glow View Post
    Hi all , i just wanted to write down my 1st experience in taking AD wedding video and i plan to use this as my portfolio but things dont go well as i plan , let me explain my situation and i am curious how do you all react in my situation.

equipment : monopod + shotgun mic + DSLR 600D 50mm 1.8prime ( kinda regret to use this dumb lens , useless in a lot of circumstances cause so zoom) , friend tripod + 600D ( rented body therefore we kinda cheapo a bit , never rent another kit lens T_T ), kit 2 lens

so apparently as a 1st timer , i am pretty excited that i cant fall asleep , i watch a lot of wedding video and pretty confident about it , the client underpay me anyway but i don't care because i want to experience it , so they want me to meet up at 4am and i am team with my friend , my friend pretty much kinda inexperience but i call him to tag him along so that i wont be that scared. so i reached the bride house around 5+ , it was raining and the sky still dark , from there i am already in panic mode and i am thinking how the hell am i gonna shoot the groom cars coming etc but i just continue and do the necessaries like shooting the make up etc and the worst is the light is not bright enough , kinda dim , let me explain about the house , it is a typical 3 room flat and there is not much room for good angle. Their make up artist leave at 5+ therefore i dont have much time shooting it

1st problem : How to use prime lens on 600D on a small room as i notice alot of video use aperture effects on make up part , can 600D do the job ? ( FRIEND USING KIT LENS SHOOTING TOO FOR THOSE PEOPLE WHO ARE CANT SEEEEEEEE ) sorry for caps

As time goes by , 7am , the sky is SUPER dark like midnight , their planned time for the gate crash and all those stupid stuff that the guys must do. so the planned venue is on 1st floor hdb but is so dark therefore they just went ahead with it on the door outside and is very crammed , let me describe it is like a section of the hdb , each section got 4 house , their one is the 3rd house and the door facing the 4th house door 45degree to the right , 4th house is at corner. so the sky is still dark and raining and with so little space to shoot the gatecrash.

2nd problem : how to overcome insufficient space and the lighting , F3.5 + 3200 iso still dark as hell , the quality is ZZZ ? using a 600D kit lens is already an issue when shooting those person half body. T_T i am at lost because 600D seems like a **** equipment for wedding.

3rd problem : raining so heavily , will you risk your dslr on small rain just to take some shot?

so after the wedding shoot is done , i accidentally delete the gatecrash raw video o-o ,

4th problem : if you were me , what to do?

express edit only have 4 hour + to do a 7 min video.

5th problem : what to do if you cant complete a good video within timeframe? , for me i just lump all the b-rolls clip inside.

Oh ya , this is just the problem. keep commenting without knowing behind the story HAHAHA. i wont get affected by trolls and i appreciate the fact that some people do help and understand a newbie who want try it out but did some mistake.

Tips from a newbie for newbie who want to try wedding photo or video
    #1 scout the place if you are not confident , for videography better scout , if not will commit same mistake as me
    #2 As those kind soul says , bring led light because you wont know that in afternoon time the sky still dark then goodluck to you ^^
    #3 if you think you can do it , just try but remember to let your client know that you're first time and if he accept then good for both , don't let anything stop you
    #4 practice taking lots of video shots and having lots of raw video and practice on your express edit. dont commit the same mistake like me , panic when the time is almost up but make sure to ask your client for enough time.
    #5 For first timer i guess use 10+mm lens will be good , don't use prime lens unless you have confident in yourself! simple is better then not capturing important scene.

( anymore to add please pm me so i can edit thread. ) glhf

Hi, im new here, and i very interest on shooting photo, i would like to ask and get some advice where can i take a course or training program in singapore? to get a phtografer certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    I think it all boils down to:

Your over estimated yourself and underestimated the job.

The countless number of past threads and posts from experienced photographers and professionals advising against newbies shooting weddings had failed to be heeded, again. Fact of the matter is that even at this current time while your thread is running, there are 2-3 other similar threads about newbie hobbyists wanting to shoot weddings. They probably won't heed those warnings too and will actually accuse professionals of having 'vested interest'.

Continue to believe on those nikon canon advertisement, continue to believe those sugar coated critics from friends, continue disregard or defend bad comments and critics, and you will never learn.

When things fails, weak people find reasons, strong people find responsibility. The personality reveals very clearly. If you failed technically, people blame you. If you fail morally, people loath you. Be very very glad that you have a understanding client. Some clients will destroy your everything in revenge.

Its time to move on and go savage whatever you can and see how you can compensate the couple.
    History repeats itself.

When one has only a brown belt, he acts as if he has 10 Dan Black ... until he got maulled in the arena.

PDCA - Plan... Do... Check... Act
    (management tool)

AIDS - Agility... Initiative... Depth in place & Time... Synchronication
    (Genghis Khan Doctrine in all the battles he fought)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456