Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: AD wedding video problem and how to react?

Default Re: AD wedding video problem and how to react?

Oh yah and I just rmb we are talking about video here. Before wide angles was the in thing I'm pretty sure the old time VGs shot at about 30mm equiv. with their camcorders... You can live without ultra-wide perspective since you can pan while shooting video. Now it completely puzzles me why TS is complaining about lack of space with 28mm equivalent (pro camcorder standard in 2008-2009, did it get wider??).
    Last edited by surrephoto; 24th June 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Just read through the thread. Really, what a shame!!!

Someone should have posted TS details and his photo to warn future couples of this "scammer". Instead of being apologetic and learning humbly, all he does is to blame everything else but himself. Truly a Gen Z strawberry boy.

Even if the wedding couple hired him for only $10, they should sue him for 1000x more. But even that will not help them recover their mistake of hiring this shameless scammer!

TS, please, to show you have a conscience, return them the fee they paid, get a professional data recover, and offer a professional to edit the video all on your charge!

Everyone, pardon me for my harsh words. Really very angry such people exist. Shameless!!

Blog Entries

My suspicion is that the entire episode is not true. Just a fabricated story by the TS.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    My suspicion is that the entire episode is not true. Just a fabricated story by the TS.
    But make no sense to self destruct his own name. One need not try very hard to know who he is and how he look like.

But we never know...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    But make no sense to self destruct his own name. One need not try very hard to know who he is and how he look like.

But we never know...
    We don't care either... At least I don't

What a SICK guy this is, and his arrogant to post this thread asking for advise while telling ppl in advance not to curse him.

Is this our young generation atitude nowsday ? Complain anything they like without self reflection ? What a shame ..

Btw i do not pity the wedding couple at all, they deserve what they paid .. nothing is free, pay peanut expect monkey ..

Quote Originally Posted by S2Glow
    Hi all , i just wanted to write down my 1st experience in taking AD wedding video and i plan to use this as my portfolio but things dont go well as i plan , let me explain my situation and i am curious how do you all react in my situation.

equipment : monopod + shotgun mic + DSLR 600D 50mm 1.8prime ( kinda regret to use this dumb lens , useless in a lot of circumstances cause so zoom) , friend tripod + 600D ( rented body therefore we kinda cheapo a bit , never rent another kit lens T_T ), kit 2 lens

so apparently as a 1st timer , i am pretty excited that i cant fall asleep , i watch a lot of wedding video and pretty confident about it , the client underpay me anyway but i don't care because i want to experience it , so they want me to meet up at 4am and i am team with my friend , my friend pretty much kinda inexperience but i call him to tag him along so that i wont be that scared. so i reached the bride house around 5+ , it was raining and the sky still dark , from there i am already in panic mode and i am thinking how the hell am i gonna shoot the groom cars coming etc but i just continue and do the necessaries like shooting the make up etc and the worst is the light is not bright enough , kinda dim , let me explain about the house , it is a typical 3 room flat and there is not much room for good angle. Their make up artist leave at 5+ therefore i dont have much time shooting it

1st problem : How to use prime lens on 600D on a small room as i notice alot of video use aperture effects on make up part , can 600D do the job ? ( FRIEND USING KIT LENS SHOOTING TOO FOR THOSE PEOPLE WHO ARE CANT SEEEEEEEE ) sorry for caps

As time goes by , 7am , the sky is SUPER dark like midnight , their planned time for the gate crash and all those stupid stuff that the guys must do. so the planned venue is on 1st floor hdb but is so dark therefore they just went ahead with it on the door outside and is very crammed , let me describe it is like a section of the hdb , each section got 4 house , their one is the 3rd house and the door facing the 4th house door 45degree to the right , 4th house is at corner. so the sky is still dark and raining and with so little space to shoot the gatecrash.

2nd problem : how to overcome insufficient space and the lighting , F3.5 + 3200 iso still dark as hell , the quality is ZZZ ? using a 600D kit lens is already an issue when shooting those person half body. T_T i am at lost because 600D seems like a **** equipment for wedding.

3rd problem : raining so heavily , will you risk your dslr on small rain just to take some shot?

so after the wedding shoot is done , i accidentally delete the gatecrash raw video o-o ,

4th problem : if you were me , what to do?

express edit only have 4 hour + to do a 7 min video.

5th problem : what to do if you cant complete a good video within timeframe? , for me i just lump all the b-rolls clip inside.

Oh ya , this is just the problem. keep commenting without knowing behind the story HAHAHA. i wont get affected by trolls and i appreciate the fact that some people do help and understand a newbie who want try it out but did some mistake.

Tips from a newbie for newbie who want to try wedding photo or video
    #1 scout the place if you are not confident , for videography better scout , if not will commit same mistake as me
    #2 As those kind soul says , bring led light because you wont know that in afternoon time the sky still dark then goodluck to you ^^
    #3 if you think you can do it , just try but remember to let your client know that you're first time and if he accept then good for both , don't let anything stop you
    #4 practice taking lots of video shots and having lots of raw video and practice on your express edit. dont commit the same mistake like me , panic when the time is almost up but make sure to ask your client for enough time.
    #5 For first timer i guess use 10+mm lens will be good , don't use prime lens unless you have confident in yourself! simple is better then not capturing important scene.

( anymore to add please pm me so i can edit thread. ) glhf
    Wow this is truely a concoction for heart attack.

Just a piece of advice videography is much more complicated than photography.

There are lots of skill , lightings, equipment knowledge involved especially reportage of events.

I got a friend who adviced me good and cheap not easy, cheap and easy not good, easy and good not cheap.

Next time you consider a job like this, do plan your shots come out with a checklist, so that you know what to do and what you are unable to I believe many professional out there are still using this to check their footage

In a good video production, it involves many manpower not every one has the talent to be a one man band. high concentration and stress level is involved to meet any clients requirement.

And by the way you are not underpaid because you are unable to deliver.

4hrs editing is only available if you got a high end computer and lots of memory as most of the footage capture are in hd and can easily hit a few giga. Normal laptop cannot do the job.

Lastly this is not a job a newbie should take it only invite trouble.

Anyway don't take what you can't swallow. its hurt

Just saw this thread. It would be funny if it isn't so shockingly sad. Right from the start he said "the client underpay me anyway" so he "don't care". As a professional if you accepted a price, just do your best. If you feel it is underpaying, then don't take the job.

First off,

I'm admired by the courage you have to take on an AD wedding by yourself without having shot any prior AD weddings as an assistant. At the same time, I am also asking myself where the hell did you find that courage to do so, because honestly, it's a frightening thing to do.

Secondly, don't blame anyone or anything but yourself.

Making mistakes is as valuable as getting the shots you want because they'll only serve as reminders of WHAT NOT TO DO. What you can do now is sit down and review your own shots and ask yourself what is wrong with each and how you can make it better. First thing of the day was to be at the bride's house at 4am, and you reached at 5am, and it'll just snowball from there onwards. No one but yourself to blame.

Third, prepare for the worst.

Never assume everything will go perfectly fine on any day. It is easier for things to go wrong than you think.

And last, don't promise anything if you feel you can't deliver.

My first shoot didn't have an SDE, because I wasn't confident in delivering. I have said this before in another thread, underpromising and overdelivering is better than overpromising and underdelivering. The fact that it was your first and you dared to provide an SDE, if you couldn't finish it, it's your fault, no excuses.

For now I'll leave you with these 4 general items to ponder about which goes for any assignment you have. Whereas for weddings specifically, here's my input on what to consider.

1) Consider the type of apartment they stay in. How do you find out? gothere.sg

Private, HDB or condo. Here you can narrow down whether there is a need to shoot with LED lights or not, and this has to be taken into consideration with regards to what lens you are using also.

2) Consider the time of the gategrash, regardless of where the gatecrash takes place.

Any time after 8pm is sufficient for shooting without LED lights, anytime before that, pls have one.

3) Space constraints

Don't think that it's a valid excuse to say you didn't have enough space. Couple has paid you to be the professional, you have the right to tell others to move for you to get your shot.

I don't have anymore for now, coz I don't want to give everything away. Best is to join someone who is a professional and shoot as an assistant and learn from there.
    C100M2|Schneider Xenon FF Primes

Just read the thread...

I think he's just telling a story to warn potential couple who's looking for a budget videographer.
    The case sounds too extreme.

Anyway I have interview afew videographers from this forum for simple shoots.
    Majority of them just pick up the skill leisurely so in terms of technical wise, many if not all of them are half a cup.

Just like what many says in the real world, you get what you paid for.
    Professional did their homework before they start charging the amount they command, just like an accountant who did their due, pass the exam.
    So these the capable VG and PG.

For people who just ask for budget or bargain prices, they not only disrespect the professional, they disrespected themselves as well as their significant other half.
    Whatever they had are probably at a budget price too.

I think for people with an amount to spent, just ask the price and if it doesn't fit their numbers, just move on instead of bargaining.
    Worse off, posting in this their and complain VG don't give discount.
    It's just ridiculous.

I almost fell flat on the ground when i heard 50/1.8 on a crop body to cover weddings.

But anyways, we don't need such stories to warn couples of imminent disaster weddings. They all know and some will still choose to 'test' the market by hiring cheap and sub par videographers.
    If they are expecting nothing, its fine. But if its the caleb chong saga, i guess it happens every week in week out in the wedding industry. Its just that most brides don't blog about it.

Side track, i think he would have done a lot better if he uses a RX100 with auto focus hand held. At least the iso is not bad & the widest is at 28mm with zoom. LOL

TV Judge verbally rapes wannabe 'professional' photogs for bad decisions and plain ignorance. Sound familiar?
    Canon 5D MkIII|70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM|24-70 f2.8 L II USM|Σ 50 f1.4 EX DG HSM

Well since we are at posting .. here's another link :

Title : Why does good photography cost so much

Why Does Good Wedding Photography Cost What It Does? Primavera Studios Blog | Wisconsin Wedding Photographers

Select P Mode for Professional ? [in the video, Mrs Geese (spelling?) says she used a 70-300mm. I think this one very poor IQ lens
    Last edited by Shizuma; 26th July 2012 at 03:11 PM.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Fless View Post

I think he's just telling a story to warn potential couple who's looking for a budget videographer.
    The case sounds too extreme.
    yeah.. so the blame game TS was playing was just for show?

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    yeah.. so the blame game TS was playing was just for show?
    Ya.. Tst's what I tik?
    Last edited by Fless; 26th July 2012 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    Select P Mode for Professional ? [in the video, Mrs Geese (spelling?) says she used a 70-300mm. I think this one very poor IQ lens
    haha .. That's a funny one, P for professional.

actually my feel is that the photographer didn't handle the case well. it could be more cordially closed.
    Dun have to go all the way to court.
    I think what the couple didn't really like is the PG's attitude.

Just a note on "TV Judges" series,

The judges are actual judges in US Courts of Law
    However in the TV series the plaintiff and defendants are actually arguing out their cases in a private arbitration " court " chaired by the said Judge, without lawyers present.

The participants must agree to the TV producers terms and sign a contract accepting the arbitration decision (of which legality is sometimes disputed, eg Judge Judy awarded certain rights in a case of separation/divorce, which intruded into the jurisdiction of the actual Family Court (or equivalent) and the ruling on the Judge Judy TV show was deemed invalid)

Further to this the participants both plaintiff and defendants do get an appearance fee. For Judge Judy shows,the awarded sum to case-winner is not taken from the loser but from a payout fund provided by the TV producers and is capped at $5'000.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

the canon 70-300mm kit is a pretty decent lens, albeit you know its limitations and shortcomings (prone to overexposure, chroma, etc). Think the AD photog should be familar with his/her equips, pointless to use high end stuffs when they cannot utilise it fully (nor have the eye for it).
    I tested using the 70-300 kit at 8.30pm, dark fashion show, no flash (bumped up the brightness on purpose), full manual settings, seems ok
    -just a test, not a serious shoot-
    Last edited by dennisc; 27th July 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast